The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
Ripsaw Raver

Im still vering more to maurer, with on board audio, the supporting on the vert tower is to alike to HRRR to say.
Although i can see Gerst style in the layout i all see more of Maurer, so what Maurer had bad relations with Alton,Spinball always has a queline and is a very popular atraction, Maybe alton have taken that into consideration, i did not however on one of the pdf's it says SubStation would that then surgest seperate loading and unloading stations.  One final option, what about Premier there well known for launches and there getting more and more inventive.  Its all speculation i know but what else have we got.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Chris W

I still have no reason to doubt it's anything other than Gerstlauer  :)
Big Dave

I think its either Gerst or Zierer. I seriously cannot see Merlin buying a Maurer for a long long time!

Anyway this has been going on for far far too long. Can we not change the subject a bit in here?
John

Other than the statement regarding noise (which is clearly not 100% accurate anyway), is there anything  that directly states Gerstlauer will be the manufacturer?  I don't think the track or support style really tells us very much...
scruffy_

.Will wrote: From what you can see on the plans there is no vertical drop, there is however a vertical climb which could either be a launch or a standard chain lift.
Why have a vertical lift but no vertical drop? Kinda defeats the object of it?
djtintin1

consult224 wrote: Hello all,

I have been reading over your comments on the forum but i feel i should add, this is not a Gerst. coaster. How do i know? well i work for one of the firms involved in designing this project, But i can confidently tell you all that this will not be a Gerst/ but will be a well known manufacturer and I am sure that you shall be impressed by the new coaster.

Also when we took the noise readings yes these were compared to SAW and so this was based around SAW. It is not uncommon as most of you are aware for a company to change designs of things / products. The coaster itself does not require to have Planning Consent it is merely the building for the station, ancillary and shop that is required to do so.

The finished product of track design and layout I am sure you will be pleased with and also the type of trains / car being used.

You will appreciate I cannot comment much on this project too much at this stage but AT shall make an announcemnet in the near future to you all on this exciting new development.

I guess the article quoted above just throws weight behind this statement from consult224.
Vanessa Feltz

I'm personally going to go with my heart on this one and hope it's a launch, I think it would be a suitable contrast regarding Oblivion right next to it, This makes sense suitably with the plans showing no vertical drop.

It's much like an opposite to Oblivion.

I could be wrong... I probably am.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
jb19852

I kinda believe him. He clearly states that he does not work for Merlin and actually hasnt disclosed anything about the ride whatsover.

It doesnt really matter to much anyway as all will be revealed in due course.

I still (am hoping) for a new B&M concept but it clearly wont be.....
Ripsaw Raver

I know it sounds pointless but after riding RipRideRocket the effect and concept is a really fun build up, plus in maurers bigboy seats and just a lapbar you feel very open at the back like you might slip out, plus it hides the view of whats ahead untill you reach the apex of the hill
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Islander

John wrote: Other than the statement regarding noise (which is clearly not 100% accurate anyway), is there anything  that directly states Gerstlauer will be the manufacturer?
A couple of members (team members and the like, not rouge consultants) have posted things which would suggest inside knowledge. It would appear that's what we're going on, though in my opinion a lot of the arguments being presented against Gerstlauer are convincing at least.
Ollie16

Big Dave wrote: I think its either Gerst or Zierer. I seriously cannot see Merlin buying a Maurer for a long long time!

Anyway this has been going on for far far too long. Can we not change the subject a bit in here?
Why not Maurer? What happened?
What he said.
Blaze

In a word, they're useless. :P
adsyrah

consult224 wrote: Just so you know:

Our firm is not based within Merlin or Alton Towers Resort. Yes we are silenced on several fronts, these mainly refer to what exactly the SW7 part is and i wont be dragged into a conversation regarding this. I merely stated it is not a Gerst, as there is nothing in the confidentiality agreements which prevent us from naming the supplier. However the suppliers themselves are NOT allowed to disclose any details on the project in any way shape or form.

In our job of consulting and design we regularly look over forums such as this so that we can see feedback and envisage how we will then feed this back to our clients, we work for various amusement park operators / providers and ride designers / manufacturers throughout the world. However as we have completed our end of the project this was signed off by us and is now upto Merlin & AT to carry forward.
Who's the supplier, then?

If it's not in your NDA, then there's no issue with you naming them :)
Ollie16

Oh nothing specific then? :)
What he said.
lozzyhickers

adsyrah wrote:
Who's the supplier, then?

If it's not in your NDA, then there's no issue with you naming them :)
Nice one!  :lol:
Vanessa Feltz

Ollie16 wrote: Why not Maurer? What happened?
Spinball happened.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Big Dave

Rip ride rockit basically the trains are falling apart and the manufacture has said the ride needs to be shutdown for extended maintenance.

Their spinning coasters have a very poor locking system that has failed numerous times in the past killing a few people. This is why Alton have really tight girth restrictions.

Most of their smaller cars suffer from over speeding in the wet and stalling if not fully loaded when cold. Something other manufactures don't seem to have problems with.

Both spinball and Dragons fury were late opening when Maurer decided to install the wrong bolts on Dragons fury's lift platform causing it to become dangerous and need replacing.

That enough problems for you as Im sure theres more :P
Last edited by Big Dave on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis94

Chris wrote: I still have no reason to doubt it's anything other than Gerstlauer  :)
I couldn't agree more. What with all the work I've done on the No Limits model, I think I've probably stared at those drawings longer than anyone. The drawings are for a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter. The combination of tight loops followed by fierce airtime hills is far too common amongst their rides for it not to be (think Mystery Mine and Huracan). If SW7 turns out not to be a Gertslauer, then it will not be following these drawings. If it does, I think Gertslauer may have sufficient grounds to take legal action against the resulting manufacturer!

Additional: To the person claiming to know who the ride manufacturer is, I'm pretty sure that information is known only to Merlin, Alton and the Manufacturer. Who else needs to know? Any third party organisation doing work on this ride does not need that information.
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
smudge.

Nemesis94 wrote:
Chris wrote: I still have no reason to doubt it's anything other than Gerstlauer  :)
I couldn't agree more. What with all the work I've done on the No Limits model, I think I've probably stared at those drawings longer than anyone. The drawings are for a Gerstlauer Euro-fighter. The combination of tight loops followed by fierce airtime hills is far too common amongst their rides for it not to be (think Mystery Mine and Huracan). If SW7 turns out not to be a Gertslauer, then it will not be following these drawings. If it does, I think Gertslauer may have sufficient grounds to take legal action against the resulting manufacturer!

Additional: To the person claiming to know who the ride manufacturer is, I'm pretty sure that information is known only to Merlin, Alton and the Manufacturer. Who else needs to know? Any third party organisation doing work on this ride does not need that information.
I hope now, for your sake, that it is a euro-fighter or you have just wasted a week of your life! (or however long it took you to create the NL model) (is is brilliant though)
ponder

Big Dave wrote: Rip ride rockit basically the trains are falling apart and the manufacture has said the ride needs to be shutdown for extended maintenance.
And Rip Ride Rockit (AKA Brake-run: The Ride) isn't even a particularly pleasurable coaster to ride, nor is it one that lives long in the memory. I found it deeply average and fraught with operational problems. Throughput also appeared to be dire when I visited, but I only rode it the once, so maybe we were just unlucky.

As family attractions, the spinning coasters are pretty damn good fun, but like you say, their questionable safety record must be very off-putting to any potential client.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps