The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
bilvy man

This may sound silly but ive always wanted a coster at AT called cataclyismic (pardon me if it's spelt wrong!) and with this coaster i think it would work well
Blaze

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Talking of cranes - isn't it about time the holding chain was replaced?

Oblivion never seems to hold the trains for longer than a split second now.
In my expereience, it's only the first shuttle that doesn't stop for the full time, so it's probably more to do with throughput than anything else.
Javs

Regarding this longer trains go faster speed nonsense, I think someone is getting momentum confused with acceleration. If you ignore wind resistance, a pea will fall at the same speed as a 10 ton truck from height. The only difference between long trains and short trains is their momentum, due to weight and speed at differing points on the track due to a differing centre of gravity. The reason longer trains often get replaced with shorter ones, is that they can produce large g force at unintended parts of the track, not because they go faster!!!
sibic

just want to kill this plan a plan b debate a park like Alton will have lots of ideas bouncing around a lot of which will never get off paper.  I know listening to ride designers on pod casts like the session pass that the theirs all ways thought on what the next big ride will be its constant (bit like reading all the fab ideas of the sw7 forums all 200+ pages of debate) I think that you can't say plan b till you have to change the plans and resubmit the ride.  so ice age is a plan b.  A project being put off as its not ready yet is just good sense.
Ryan.

Just out of curiosity, is there any concrete evidence that this is an SW? opposed to just the replacement for black hole which has been on the cards for some time?
Rob L

Ryan. wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there any concrete evidence that this is an SW? opposed to just the replacement for black hole which has been on the cards for some time?
I can't remember which ones exactly but SW7 is stated on a few of the plans.

:)

lozzyhickers

I'm really hoping this isn't a launch :(  (I can't stand them...
but knowing my luck it probably will be!
Islander

Ryan. wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there any concrete evidence that this is an SW? opposed to just the replacement for black hole which has been on the cards for some time?
If Thirteen was classed as an SW (and it was), I don't see any way that a development of this magnitude could possibly not be.
James

It has been confirmed that this is a secret weapon. Further to this some of the plans submitted also have 'SW7' labelled as the project title. :) 
sibic

just a thought for a name how about limbo  :P
Nemesis94

Hi all, here's the latest version of the No Limits recreation. It's getting there, with most of the fencing, groundwork and foliage in place. The only real blight is the station, it's just a very rough mock-up at the moment as I try to find time to create a 3D model (and learn how to use the software!). This could be the last update for a while.

I hope nobody begrudges me for uploading more than 6 photos...

The ride from the entrance ramp:

Looking at the batwing/cobra from the entrance ramp:

Looking at the first inversions from the stilted platform:

Looking at the first inversion for the queue:

Looking up at the drops from the queue:

Deuling:

Looking at the batwing/cobra from the queue entrance:

Looking at the batwing/cobra from the lower ride entrance. This is a thing of beauty:

And finally, the view from the top of the second drop:

Hope you like them. If you have any requests for certain views of this version, feel free to let me know. Those who have already messaged me to use the older images on websites and such, please feel free to use this as well if you wish.

With regards a POV, I may have a look at doing an updated one tomorrow. If not, it may not be until the weekend.
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
James

Just a little notice.

When posting please keep on topic and at least add something to the discussion. Opinions are very much welcomed, although it sometimes helps to elaborate on your opinion - rather than posting a one-liner. Can we stay on topic too, remember the report button is there if you have an issue with posts. 

Thanks.
mezza

starbugger1303 wrote: Just to say, I saw a huge crane in the X-Sector area of the park,  when i was on the bus home from school.

:)
Big Dave wrote: Probably something to do with winter maintenance. Might be adding or removing trains from Oblivion.
Best case scenario is they're already repainting Oblivion, to spread out the workload for X Sector over the next year and a bit...... but the abouve is more likely  :D
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Morgano

I just put a few 2+2's together and got 4, the closure of KFC and opening of Altons own brand chicken restaurant in X-Sector this year could give a few clues to the general theming of the area for 2013.

I noticed it was mentioned in another thread that this closed season Alton are given the restaurant a complete overhaul with both layout and decoration. I doubt Alton would do such work only for the area to have a retheme or to retheme the restaurant in another years time.

The logical answer is the theme of the area will obviously remain as it is, however whatever Alton design for the new restaurant will most likely fit in with the newest developments for the 2013 ride and should provide some clues as to the direction the area is heading.
davey_will1980

Hi Guys, Just had a thought, didn't someone win a competition to be on the team that planned SW7 ? or something along those lines, I'm just thinking if this truly is what was intended to be SW7 then do we know who won the competition? or have they not been announced to a) keep it secret or b) this isn't what was intended?
djneice

davey_will1980 wrote: Hi Guys, Just had a thought, didn't someone win a competition to be on the team that planned SW7 ? or something along those lines, I'm just thinking if this truly is what was intended to be SW7 then do we know who won the competition? or have they not been announced to a) keep it secret or b) this isn't what was intended?
I wondered this, I don't think it's been announced or surly someone would of mentioned it
Tom G

That was just a gimmick, but I bet they were sworn to secrecy.
NemmyJunkie

I found this website when browsing. You may have seen these pictures before, if not have a look :)
http://rollercoasterxtreme.com/wp/?p=2625
Benjsh

NemmyJunkie wrote: I found this website when browsing. You may have seen these pictures before, if not have a look :)
Some of the theming elements are huge, the tallest being 12 meters in height (40 feet), which is very impressive by anyone's standards. This project really does look amazing and took me completely by surprise.

A massive investment which I'm sure will reap its rewards. It will also bring the love back to X Sector which has been lacking of late. 2012 and 2013 are surely going to be great years for Merlin with the Swarm on it's way too.
Morgano

Benjsh wrote:
NemmyJunkie wrote: I found this website when browsing. You may have seen these pictures before, if not have a look :)
Some of the theming elements are huge, the tallest being 12 meters in height (40 feet), which is very impressive by anyone's standards. This project really does look amazing and took me completely by surprise.

A massive investment which I'm sure will reap its rewards. It will also bring the love back to X Sector which has been lacking of late. 2012 and 2013 are surely going to be great years for Merlin with the Swarm on it's way too.
The central theming element is 15m by 15m (49ft x 49ft) which is actually the largest, unless you know something we don't? :)

Obviously it's not a block but whatever it is, is huge!!! I got a feeling it's going to be some bent girders or something like this (http://wapedia.mobi/thumb/25d7510/en/fi ... format=jpg) but on a larger scale and more industrial.