The Smiler - Speculation

Smile always. New for 2013.
CoasterCrazyChris

haydn! wrote:
Actually, when HB Leisure took over responsibility of the games at Alton Towers several years ago. They were given pretty much free reign to develop the existing games, and add new ones across the park, with the exception of X-Sector.
X-Sector did once have a games stall though didn't it, and it was highly themed and looked great in the area. Therefore it must have been something the park created because HB don't theme anything.

That would also explain why that nasty games stall was built in the middle of Katanga Canyon.

All HB Leisure have done is comprise the theme of just about every area at Alton Towers. I hate them.

Please kick them out Alton Towers?
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

haydn! wrote: I think this coaster is Plan A and Thirteen was B!
That could be true! Although I do believe for SW7 this is Plan B and Plan A has been shelved/postponed, most probably for SW8.

As we all know too, the Black Hole tent has been looked at many times and I'm sure they've got a good handful of developments for the area that have been shelved over the years. At least we'll finally be seeing the Black Hole site get the new attraction it deserves.
HAJiME

Lotte wrote:
3. SOURCE NOISE LEVELS AND NOISE PROPAGATION
PROPOSED COASTER NOISE LEVELS
3.1 Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at
Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the
proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop. Third octave band measurements
were conducted on 2 November 2011 using a calibrated Norsonics type 118 sound
level meter, tripod mounted at a height of 1.2 m above ground level. Weather
conditions were suitable for noise measurements, with low wind speeds and
remaining dry. Measurements were taken at appropriate times to avoid nearby rides
influencing the measured noise levels, particularly Samurai and Colossus, which
were both operating during the measurement period
Does no one here have issues with the fact that this quote also states the ride has a beyond vertical drop, which we know it doesn't? I find it hard to trust that document. I also doubt the importance of it getting something like that correct, expecting that it was written by a consulting company who are not specifically in the attractions industry. Even if it is a Gerst Eurofighter, it's probably not got the same ride vehicles as Saw, so the noise it would produce would be different. It's clearly not that important for it to be all that accurate.
Does it really only take a few months to design a ride like this?
I think James' theory is pretty ace, that this isn't the original plan for 2013 but it's not something that's only recently been produced, either. That said, I do think it takes a scarily short space of time once they have an idea of what they are doing, and it's totally possible as we have seen countless times to make U-turns last minute. I used to think they must spend years working on attractions, much like the film industry, but that's not the case at all... Unless you're Disney?
haydn!

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:X-Sector did once have a games stall though didn't it, and it was highly themed and looked great in the area. Therefore it must have been something the park created because HB don't theme anything.

That would also explain why that nasty games stall was built in the middle of Katanga Canyon.

All HB Leisure have done is comprise the theme of just about every area at Alton Towers. I hate them.
X-Sector has had the same basket ball game long since before HB arrived on park. Any new units added by HB Leisure are still designed by Merlin Studios. HB merely manage the games operations on behalf of the park.
Lotte

dominoes wrote: Sorry if this has already been posted, but what about this? Vertical launch that was originally going in the Dark Forest...
Thats the original promotional art for Oblivion which has been photoshopped  :x
Blaze

It is strange they mention the drop, but it stills states Saw has the same manufacturer, so I wouldn't hold out any hope for anything other than a Gerstlauer.

I don't think this is a 'Plan B', when they decide to put a new ride in, they look at many different areas. The car park was on the MTDP, but it's most likely they then decided that X-Sector was a better location and took the proposals for that forward instead of the carp park one.
AstroDan

I believe the original plan was for a B&M coaster at Alton, but this was shelved.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
haydn!

Lotte wrote: Thats the original promotional art for Oblivion which has been photoshopped  :x
By Merlin. It's from the research survey they did a few years ago. It was a mock up for one of several mood-boards they presented and asked for opinions on.
project?

im wandering if they will dispatch 2 cars at a time like saw so that they can 100% control the dulling timing? What dose every one else think?
AstroDan

I presume cars will have to be dispatched together if they are to duel.

:)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Blizzard

Ive noticed lots of people in this topic quoting that oblivion was a "Black" colour when it opened. It isnt black & never was. Its more of a navy colour in reality. I have found the exact colour of oblivion using the colour picker in paint, and compared it with black; this is what I got:

Oblivion on the left (incase anyone was wondering) & black on the right. If you saw oblivions colour on its own, you would assume its black, but after a comparing the two, its a lot different.

I just wanted to clear something up here.

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Coaster_Dude

Blizzard wrote: Ive noticed lots of people in this topic quoting that oblivion was a "Black" colour when it opened. It isnt black & never was. Its more of a navy colour in reality. I have found the exact colour of oblivion using the colour picker in paint, and compared it with black; this is what I got:

Oblivion on the left (incase anyone was wondering) & black on the right. If you saw oblivions colour on its own, you would assume its black, but after a comparing the two, its a lot different.

Can I ask where you sourced that colour from? If it's from a photograph then you're getting into all sorts of colour balance issues. I would have said that the original colour of Oblivion was far darker but I'd be very curious to see how right I am.
Blizzard

Coaster_Dude wrote:
Blizzard wrote: Ive noticed lots of people in this topic quoting that oblivion was a "Black" colour when it opened. It isnt black & never was. Its more of a navy colour in reality. I have found the exact colour of oblivion using the colour picker in paint, and compared it with black; this is what I got:

Can I ask where you sourced that colour from? If it's from a photograph then you're getting into all sorts of colour balance issues. I would have said that the original colour of Oblivion was far darker but I'd be very curious to see how right I am.
Yes that was from photos, I actualy used multiple photos to get the average colour, as it depends on the lighing. If anyone has a link to some planning doccuments. Please share them!

Anyway, after using some archive photos of oblivions opening day, the colour scheme is somewhat darker, but not considerably:

CoasterCrazyChris

Well I think this picture says otherwise:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/Clutchme/oblivlift.jpg

It definitely has a hint of navy about it, but no way is it that colour to the left. Also, the picture is slightly faded so I would say it was more black. It is also important to note it had a matt finish as oppose to Krake's glossy paint.

Also - could you share the archive photos you found?

Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blizzard

wow! that is a great picture! Where did you find that?

Yes, im sure is was darker than in the comparison, but obviously its difficult to get the right balance in colour from a picture to a screen. But im still sure its more navy, I think id just deppend on the light.

Coaster_Dude

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Well I think this picture says otherwise:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/Clutchme/oblivlift.jpg

It definitely has a hint of navy about it, but no way is it that colour to the left. Also, the picture is slightly faded so I would say it was more black. It is also important to note it had a matt finish as oppose to Krake's glossy paint.
That's the picture I've just been trying to find! I'll agree that the paint seems to have faded quite quickly but the really dark black really does look amazing.
CoasterCrazyChris

The paint faded so quickly it was noticeably grey even by the early 2000's.

I found the picture on a TowersTimes thread from 2006, it was a link from a Photo Bucket page which has now been removed.

Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muttlee

Apparently the new ride finish will be to RAL7021 "Black Grey" which converts to an approx RGB value of 26,33,41 (obviously how this displays will vary with monitor settings etc.)
The RAL colour codes can be seen on this website... http://www.themeter.net/ral_e.htm

I believe I read on one of the threads this was also Oblivions original colour, although I'm not sure who said that!
HAJiME

You can't really use colour picker on a photo. Every pixel will vary due to light varying due to the position of the sun in the sky and shadows cast by anything, like clouds. On top of that, every camera will pick up the colour differently. I just doesn't work like that.
It is also important to note it had a matt finish as oppose to Krake's glossy paint.
Yeah, grime really clings to matt, unlike gloss where it just runs off. Take a look at the STATE of Colossus' matt painted supports.

Red is really prone to fading badly, I dunno if black also is? But I bet it just shows up more when a dark colour fades.
Last edited by HAJiME on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

HAJiME wrote:
It is also important to note it had a matt finish as oppose to Krake's glossy paint.
Yeah, grime really clings to matt, unlike gloss where it just runs off. Take a look at the STATE of Colossus' matt painted supports.

Red is really prone to fading badly, I dunno if black also is? But I bet it just shows up more when a dark colour fades.
I much prefer a matt finish though.

It is much heavier and darker and doesn't reflect light as much.