Spooky Experiences at Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

The Best Spooky Experience

Poll runs till Fri Jul 26, 2041 4:22 pm

Hex
54%
Terror Of The Towers
29%
The Haunted House
8%
Duel - The Haunted House Strikes Back
6%
Doom & Sons
2%

Total votes: 48
genesis

Which is/was the most spooky? Terror Of The Towers was awesome but Hex gets my vote (just), but I wish TOTT would return!
Last edited by genesis on Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
symone

What was Terror of the towers? For the life of me i cant think what it was!!
Hex is freaky though!
genesis

[quote=""symone""]What was Terror of the towers? For the life of me i cant think what it was!!
Hex is freaky though![/quote]Entrance was near X-Sector, you went through a tunnel and in to the towers when REAL monsters, ghosts and gouls jumped out at you. They ran it through Haloween for a couples of years, it was one hell of an experience (literally).
Makusu

[quote=""genesis""][quote=""symone""]What was Terror of the towers? For the life of me i cant think what it was!!
Hex is freaky though![/quote]Entrance was near X-Sector, you went through a tunnel and in to the towers when REAL monsters, ghosts and gouls jumped out at you. They ran it through Haloween for a couples of years, it was one hell of an experience (literally).[/quote]That sounds awesome

got any pics?
genesis

[quote=""Makusu""][quote=""genesis""][quote=""symone""]What was Terror of the towers? For the life of me i cant think what it was!!
Hex is freaky though![/quote]Entrance was near X-Sector, you went through a tunnel and in to the towers when REAL monsters, ghosts and gouls jumped out at you. They ran it through Haloween for a couples of years, it was one hell of an experience (literally).[/quote]That sounds awesome

got any pics?[/quote]

I've found some pics for you:

This one is of just outside the queue line:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... ween15.jpg

This one is of the arched entrance to the attraction, X-Sector is just to the right, also see the towers just behind the trees:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... 200205.jpg

This is the start of the queue through the tunnel I mentioned, very spooky going throught that:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/al ... terror.jpg

This last one is just after the tunnel as you enter the towers, that's where the main attraction starts from really:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... ween13.jpg

I will try and find some more if you bare with me. Unfortunatly I can't find any of inside the actual towers.

Hope you like the ones I've found so far. :wink:
MikeB

I have gone for hex, the atmosphere is so good throughout and its even better when there are only a few other riders. I never got to experience terror of the towers though, if only i had!
Anonymous

I've voted Hex similarly, as I haven't experienced TOTT.

Hex is a very spooky ride, well themed, provides a brilliant way of integrating the towers themselves with a first class attraction and brings you out nicely in the little garden area.

I only wish I'd had the opportunity of riding it never having heard of a Vekoma Madhouse and having no idea what to expect...
Makusu

[quote=""genesis""][quote=""Makusu""][quote=""genesis""][quote=""symone""]What was Terror of the towers? For the life of me i cant think what it was!!

got any pics?[/quote]

I've found some pics for you:

This one is of just outside the queue line:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... ween15.jpg

This one is of the arched entrance to the attraction, X-Sector is just to the right, also see the towers just behind the trees:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... 200205.jpg

This is the start of the queue through the tunnel I mentioned, very spooky going throught that:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/csimon/al ... terror.jpg

This last one is just after the tunnel as you enter the towers, that's where the main attraction starts from really:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Fest/hallo ... ween13.jpg

I will try and find some more if you bare with me. Unfortunatly I can't find any of inside the actual towers.

Hope you like the ones I've found so far. :wink:[/quote]Wow, it looks really interesting :D

I hope they make it again some day..
genesis

Yea, Haloweens aren't what they used to be at Alton Towers. Bring back 2003, a great year for Haloween at Alton. There was Terror Of The Towers with the Bloodfest Banquet, fantastic theming though-out the whole park to make it look VERY spooky, great fireworks (probably the best I've ever seen at Alton), and a chance to ride Nemesis, Air, etc in the dark until 8pm!!!!! PLEASE Alton Towers, bring back the spooky Haloween events!
Stevie_Cee

TOTT was the one i voted! We visited it in what i believe was 2003 (The Bloodfest Banquet anyway!) and it was an amazing experience! I almost got my arm snapped by one of the maids, all because while the guy who played the Lord of the Towers (or whatever) had jumped down off his banquet table full of body parts and was sniffing us, my bf's sister told him he looked like Meatloaf! I laughed out really loudly and the maid grabbed me really hard and screamed "SIIIIIILLEEEENCCEEE!" It was soooo funny! :giggle:
Anonymous

Hex = My Vote

Its Amazing And I Cant Get My Head Round How It Works Cause You Cant See Any Joints Or Anthing!
Anonymous

I agree. Hex surpasses any other experience that I have experienced at Alton Towers anyway (I'm sure the TOTT's are scary but as of yet they remain a mystery to me).

The sheer way it is hidden is perhaps the most freaky part of it. One glance and I'd think it were an expedition in the Towers or something. The wanders to the next areas of the ride in the dark are also frightening though.

:mrgreen:
Anonymous

I voted Hex too because it makes my spine shiver whenever i think of it lol.
Anonymous

And the music and smell on Hex adds to the experience :twisted:
Nutty dreadz

My vote goes to TOTT!

Don't get me wrong, Hex is a great ride - Good storyline, effects, atmosphere and great music, but TOTT is just way spookier!

I don't get scared very easily, but TOTT scared me to death! I went both years it was on. Both times I ended up being the last person in the line, and I got majorly picked on! All the actors just kept following me and staring straight at my face!

Thumbs up to it! A scary ride but loads of fun too. Can't wait for it to return (fingers crossed)
John

TOTT all the way - I haven't been but it sounds great.

Having said that I've never been on hex either, because I've been on two other 'revolving room rides' elsewhere - haunted swing at BPB which is an ultra cheap version, and Villa Volta at Efteling, which which is much better than Blackpool's but with a pre-show in Dutch, which for me was rather less of an atmosphere builder - both made me feel sick because of the you're not moving* but you think you are effect.
Shame really, by the sounds of it hex has been done very well.

*not counting a slight rocking motion
Anonymous

I never got the chance to go on the TOTT what actually is it a path that or follow or something. And is it actors or animatronics ?
Jay12

I wouldnt really call Hex spooky, but just mystical and wiered. The story is quite spooky but the ride isn't if you get me. Haunted house was spooky and good fun! Now its the duel its not scary at all :(
Never had the chance to go on Doom&Sons or visit TOTT :(
Sig made by Craig - Gashead.
doom+sons1988

Hex isn't really a spooky ride it's more of twisted fantasy tale. The Haunted House pulled off the spooky atmosphere the best, the walkthrough section in it's prime was the most daunting and atmospheric exprience in the ride. If you hadn't been on it before you had no idea what was ahead quite like The Haunted Mansion rides.

John Wardley has good sense of humour so the ride really turned into absurbist horror comedy quite quickly but it was still fairly spooky.

Doom + Sons from I can remember seemed the most bizarre and intense. Really loud noises would batter down your nerves and all sorts of things would fly towards you from the dark. I also distinctly remembering Around the world in 80 days being heard from within the walkthrough which was very odd.
"ERRRRRRRRRRR EXCUSE ME"
Tom M

What I want to know is this: Is the smell in Hex purposly put there or is it just the smell of the ruins?