Alton : Thorpe

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Alton Towers : How long will the glory last? Does anybody actually think that Thorpe Park will take Altons place in the next few years? . . . . .

Poll runs till Mon Jul 22, 2041 12:03 pm

No! Never! Nemesis Inferno? Pft.
72%
Yes! All the way 2008 Coaster!
28%

Total votes: 81
JinXs

I think... Well I'll decide once I have read others opinions. Please state your reasons for choice.
Anonymous

This has potential to be a very interesting topic - it'll cover a lot of ground that's been gone over before, but that's fine...as long as people can be mature and not start flaming each other for their opinions.

I'll be keeping a close eye...:P
genesis

The Alton Magic. Alton all the way!!!! Nuff said.
Last edited by genesis on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

By the looks of it in number of visiters TP may over-take AT next year!

I think that TP will take the place of AT as the UK's number one park over the next 5 years!
genesis

Why are Tussuads investing so much money in Thorpe Park? Alton seems to have been kicked aside, why? Is it something to do with the Ropers case maybe? I'll always be loyal to Alton though. ;-)
JinXs

Does anoybody know what this 'quantum leap' thing actaully is? I think that Thorpe could become more popular, but alton has something that thorpe can never have. Thorpe has height, which to be honest alton can get in a flash, just dig a big hole! I wonder how high Nemesis actually is from the bottom of the pit, to the peak of the ride?
genesis

[quote=""JinXs""]I wonder how high Nemesis actually is from the bottom of the pit, to the peak of the ride?[/quote]Apparently the same sort of height as the first B&M inverter; Batman: The Ride.
symone

Nah to me Thorpe will NEVER match AT.

AT is a package, we spend 4 days every year there and stay ing the hotel, we dont get bored, there is lots to do and lots of rides (we do take children though so that does make it more fun and take up more time)

Thorpe we can so all the rides in a few hrs, we normally get there for 10am and by 2/3 ish we have done all ther rides and there isnt much else to do.
Dont get me wrong i like Thorpe (especially as it is an hour away) but it is just tiny!
its good for a daywith a few good rides but not as spectaculat as AT (well that is my opinion anyway!)
Ant

Thorpe parks a thrill park thats it and thats all it will ever be. It doesnt have a unique location or atmosphere. Yes it is now a thrill seekers heaven and has amazing thrill rides but I mean thats all the park is flat rides and coasters just all stuck here there and everywhere. The park lacks brilliant themed fun rides for everyone like Runaway mine train, Duel, Hex Etc . I mean its nice to have great themed rides which everyone loves Thorpe lacks that. Alton will always be number one as its the park familys and everyone loves and goes for I mean Thorpe parks not exactly a family day out is it the parks only targerted at teens I dont see how it can become number one?.
Adam

I dont think Thorpe could ever beat the magic of Alton Towers.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
genesis

[quote=""symone""]Thorpe we can so all the rides in a few hrs, we normally get there for 10am and by 2/3 ish we have done all ther rides and there isnt much else to do.
Dont get me wrong i like Thorpe (especially as it is an hour away) but it is just tiny![/quote]It is tiny, yes. With Alton I love the fact of walking to a different area (it seems like you're going to another world), where as Thorpe all the areas are (pretty much) joined.
genesis

I think there is one key point though that we've over looked at the moment. Alton has one main focal point that Thorpe would die for, The Towers! That makes the magic work for me, the second you arrive (at the main gates) you are greeted by the magnificant towers.
Last edited by genesis on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
symone

[quote=""genesis""][quote=""symone""]Thorpe we can so all the rides in a few hrs, we normally get there for 10am and by 2/3 ish we have done all ther rides and there isnt much else to do.
Dont get me wrong i like Thorpe (especially as it is an hour away) but it is just tiny![/quote]It is tiny, yes. With Alton I love the fact of walking to a different area (it seems like you're going to another world), where as Thorpe all the areas are (pretty much) joined.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more, no areas are close at AT, all at Thorpe are next to each other, you roll off one ride and onto the next.

AT is aiso a family park where at Thorpe has a very tiny area for children, we are going on sunday and only taking our friends girl who is 1.4 as there is no point in taking the other who is 1.2 as she would have to wait around most of the day.
JinXs

I agree. I think when Thorpe Park has its true identity it will improve. It was a jumble of the old owners and new up until recently, now flying fish and model world have gone etc, it will seem more sectioned out (hopefully). One bit i hate about Thorpe Park is from a few metres away from Rush, the beggining of Amity. Octopuses garden is so open with next to nothing in the way of trees and plants etc. This doesnt help with the random X:/No way out.
Ketchup

[quote=""genesis""]Why are Tussuads investing so much money in Thorpe Park? Alton seems to have been kicked aside, why? Is it something to do with the Ropers case maybe? I'll always be loyal to Alton though. ;-)[/quote]

Actually in the previous two years, Alton has had more investing put into it.

2004 - Alton got Spinball, at a rough guess i'd say about £4,000,000 and also had the Log Flume redone (Granted it was sponsered)

Thorpe got an old relocated top-scan Samurai and now run it on a crap setting.

2005 - Alton got Rita for £8,000,000 and Ugland was done up a bit

Thorpe got two awesome flats awhich I would imagine would have a much lower pricetag than Rita, also Thorpe might have got money off buying two S&S rides in one year.

And yes, Thorpe is kicking Alton's ass at the moment, mainly due to the fact that they don't have strict guidelines they have to follow everytime they add a new attraction.

Thorpe have recieved the best bit of work Tussauds have created in recent times with Tidal Wave and Amity Cove a truly awesomely themed area. So I don't see how you can compare about Thorpe having no atmosphere.

To be fair i'd rate the two parks identically. Thorpe have recieved the better attractions in recent years though.

Mind you Alton still has Nemesis!
genesis

[quote=""Ketchup""][quote=""genesis""]Why are Tussuads investing so much money in Thorpe Park? Alton seems to have been kicked aside, why? Is it something to do with the Ropers case maybe? I'll always be loyal to Alton though. ;-)[/quote]Thorpe have recieved the best bit of work Tussauds have created in recent times with Tidal Wave and Amity Cove a truly awesomely themed area. So I don't see how you can compare about Thorpe having no atmosphere.[/quote]I didn't say Thorpe has no atmosphere.
Ketchup

^ I wasn't referring to your post.
Wes

There are two different reasons why these parks are good ...

For sheer thrill visit Thorpe but thats all it has to offer, its not even magical.

For Atmosphere, fun, magic and an experience you will never for get then well ... AT is your person.
If I didn't think AT was what it is, I certainly wouldn't take sevral trip up to staffordshire a year nor would I be on this forum!

Alton Towers ... I would say is now officaly part of my life ... whereas no way Thorpe Park would make such an impact as AT has.

Alton Towers is better for every reason possible and may Tausauds continue investing in such an AMAZING theme park!
Anonymous

People, people, cut with all of this but what about the magic crap. To tell you the truth all the GBP give a "meep" about is what park has the biggest coaster!

They don't go "Well Im going to AT because TP dose not have the magic that AT has" they go "TP has that new coaster that looks better" and get in the car.
Ketchup

[quote=""Thirst""]People, people, cut with all of this but what about the magic crap. To tell you the truth all the GBP give a "meep" about is what park has the biggest coaster!

They don't go "Well Im going to AT because TP dose not have the magic that AT has" they go "TP has that new coaster that looks better" and get in the car.[/quote]

Wow someone who finally realises why Alton has changed their marketing strategy dropping the "Where Magic Never Ends" tagline.

I'll put it bluntly, they don't CARE they want to ride the biggest ride. Not visit the park with the best atmosphere.

Anyway if they want to go to a park with decent atmosphere, take the Eurostar to DisneyLand Paris it's 'family' atmosphere beats Alton's.
Last edited by Ketchup on Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.