Do you think The Height(tree line) Rule is Correct?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Do you think The Height(tree line) Rule is Correct?

Poll runs till Mon Jul 08, 2041 6:04 am

Yes Alton Towers Is a Beautiful Place one of the nations most treasured land marks
60%
Dont Care Much, i Just like the park
18%
Or should Alton Towers build 3 Kingda Kas, a few Goliaths and a wooden coaster rattling through downtown Alton and all neighbouring villages?
22%

Total votes: 55
MostMagicalCat

as above
[
MostMagicalCat

oops didnt do the 3rd option, scrap the post please
[
Adz
Admin
Admin

what was the 3rd option i can add it? :wink:
Anonymous

I think he can add it himself, just edit his post!
MostMagicalCat

would be downright decent of you
going for comedy-or should alton towers build 3 kingda ka`s a few golliths and a wooden coaster rattling through downtown alton and all neighbouring villages?
thank you and of course keep up the great work!! :D :clap:
[
Anonymous

Split minded.

On one point, Alton Towers isn't known for being a beautiful landmark at all. It is known for being a theme park so perhaps erecting a visable ride isn't so damaging.

But then again, not being able to see the ride before hand make the places so mysterious, aswell as allowing Alton oppertunities to build more unique rides.

:firebounce:
MostMagicalCat

still no one asking for large rides........
[
Anonymous

I voted the third option but with caution, they still need to be imaginative and use the terrain otherwise AT ain't gonna be anywhere near as good!
MostMagicalCat

I voted the third option but with caution, they still need to be imaginative and use the terrain otherwise AT ain't gonna be anywhere near as good!
to what height would you say(just wondering)
[
Lauzi

To be honest I've never really thought about it, so I opted for the second option.
bond231

The fact that Alton has these strict height restrictions make their rides interesting and original as they have to over come the problem!
Anonymous

to what height would you say(just wondering)
about 100-120 ft.
Anonymous

I think the tree line rule is a great idea and alton should obey this rule which they do, the only thing i disagree with is this new noise inforcement thanks to the ropers. :evil:
MikeB

i went for the first option too, simply because of the fact that it requires more imaginative designs in order to build a coaster to AT's regulations. This also makes AT more 'secretive' so you cannot see it from miles away.
Sr88

10 years on, I have just found this, and I would like to restart this topic as I believe it is a good talking point. What does everybody think about the height rule, and how it restricts construction? Obviously, it increases costs as rides such as Nemesis and The Smiler have to be dug into a pit, and Oblivion goes into a hole, or like Air, rides have to hug the ground. Rita changes colour when it goes above the trees (although this is clearly a one-off exception to the rule).

Do you think it detracts from the experience not being able to see any other sections of the park from one section?
Sentri558

Voted the first one because going to Portaventura you can see the coasters from Barcelona.
Going to AT, you can't see anything ^-^ It's all a huge buildup until you see the sign that says "Alton Towers" on it :3

Best part is going past the Chained Oak B&B idk why ^3^
Jamster42

I quite like it. Theirs the standard argument that the limits set make designers think more creatively with rides. Their are also other benefits from the restriction such as, build up for when you approach a ride and you can hear it but not see it such as with nemesis. Plus if you want taller rides go to another park.
Sr88

But surely going to another park means it is bad for Alton Towers.
tallicay2k

As stated before, the fact you can't see the rides from outside the park gives it that much more magical and mysterious feel to the place. Keep with the tree line rule.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Morgan

I have mixed opinions.
As others say, the park feels much more magical as it's tucked away behind the lush green. When passing down Farley Lane and you see Oblivion, it feels much more magical than seeing it from a mile away. This leads me onto the journey there. The many hills of Staffordshire always make me think "is that one Alton Towers?". It adds a bonus anticipation. It also creates world-class rides as they have to dig down. Nemesis is one of the world's best coasters and it's only 40ft high.

Onto the negatives... Most people these days only care about the biggest of big dippers, the ride that flings them and their senses several hundred feet in the sky. As Alton Towers can't do this, most people dismiss the park when planning a trip to a theme-park. This is why so many people prefer Thorpe Park nowadays.

In-fact, yes. I think the tree-line rule is correct (even if Air beats it by a few centimeters :lol )