Staff

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Anonymous

I don't mean to offend anyone on the forum who work at Alton Towers, I'm sure you do an amazing job, but...

Some of the staff at Alton Towers are right misreble arses. I've just phoned them up to see when the park closed on my trip. Someone called David answered in a very tired and un-enthusaistic way. "Hello Alton Towers Davud speaking". I made a point of pollitley asking when it closed and a he simply grunted "5pm".

I think have the positive atmosphere is down to the staff working there. They have to be warm, happy, enthusiastic and willing to help. Sure, it must be pretty c*ap seeing people enjoying themselves all day but it's their job to give people an even better day out. It say's on TowersTimes tips "Interact with staff. Smile and say hello. It all add's to the magic". Reading this put a smile on my face and I couldn't agree more, but if the staff aren't going to interact back, wtf is the point.

Lewis
Uncle_Adolph

Last time I went, I actually found the staff really friendly.. Even the ones cleaning paths... The only miserable staff were working on Corkscrew! They seemed so happy on Air, Oblivion, Rita, Nemmy, Ripsaw (my mum asked for an intense one and the mode went on for ages!) and some other rides..

-Ben
Anonymous

Yeah. Well perhaps I am being mean on the staff in park when really I haven't seen or communicated with much.

The phone staff though. Ugh :!: They were exactly the same last time I rand up. Infact, when I told them my enquiry they laughed at me :oops: I remember now that quite upset and embarrest me :( If they din't have "creating the magic" lessons, they need them!!!

Lewis
Anonymous

Ok two things I want to add here. Are you sure they werent just talking in a soft tone and not a bored tone. They are asked to be soft and calming as at peak times you can be waiting on the phones for ages. Also how would you feel if you where locked away in a room all day answering phones and taking telephone orders. I think you would be bored senseless and even if they did have CM training they would still sound bored lol
Rekki

what was your enquiry when they laughed at you?
evil cod

Soppy thank you message Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would just like to thank all the staff on 21st April as they were all great! from the woman who went out of her way to keep us informed what was happening when the shut a station on air to the guy on the basketball game near flume who was just a great laugh (and gave us a free club)! other momorable moments include RMT operator jumping out at my freind with a plastic spider then collapsing in laughter as she screamed and ran away. It staff like these that make it such a great day out. THANKS ALL!
Anonymous

I would just like to thank all the staff on 21st April as they were all great! from the woman who went out of her way to keep us informed what was happening when the shut a station on air to the guy on the basketball game near flume who was just a great laugh (and gave us a free club)! other momorable moments include RMT operator jumping out at my freind with a plastic spider then collapsing in laughter as she screamed and ran away. It staff like these that make it such a great day out. THANKS ALL!
Well hopefully I'll change my mind after my visit, and this can become an entielly positive discussion on Alton Towers. I'm sure these fun antics made a much more memorable visit.

On another visit last year, I went on the trampoline's in fountain square. The woman assitant there seemed very tired and lazy aswell. She didn't even show any sign's of enthusiasm when I managed to do a quad (4 somwesaults in the air at once).

Ah well, maybe I've been visiting and calling on bad days :roll:

Lewis... :D
ripsawfan

Yhes my sister works at AT and she is glum all the time, but i have to say maybe its down it people being like that to them...I mean if someone was really mean and dissrespectful to you would you be happy and jolly back??? But i do supose it is their job to be happy and jolly......I dunno...
[font color=blue]Brin[/font][font color=aqua]g bac[/font][font color=lime]k rips[/font][font color=green]aw\'s fount[/font][font color=red]ains now![/font] Check out www.freewebs.com/atowersfrenzie
Anonymous

[quote=""Xx King of Speed xX""]I don't mean to offend anyone on the forum who work at Alton Towers, I'm sure you do an amazing job, but...
I think have the positive atmosphere is down to the staff working there. They have to be warm, happy, enthusiastic and willing to help. Sure, it must be pretty c*ap seeing people enjoying themselves all day but it's their job to give people an even better day out. It say's on TowersTimes tips "Interact with staff. Smile and say hello. It all add's to the magic". Reading this put a smile on my face and I couldn't agree more, but if the staff aren't going to interact back, wtf is the point.

Lewis[/quote]

I think watching people enjoy themselves is actually my favourite part of Attending at Chessington. I love seeing peoples faces when they get off Dragons Fury for example. It could be just the phone staff, as the majority of staff on Park do care about the guests.
Anonymous

Yeah.

Just come back from Alton and I take back what I said before. The park staff their were brilliant. Had a chat with the Oblivion one, and the Spinball one was very friendly.
All were cheery and happy. Really add's to the day :!: :!: :!:

So... phone staff = suckage, park staff = great...

And BTW, I saw you working on Blade Dave (Bigdave_15_1985). I think it was you anyway...
I was the black one, with brown jumper and jeans, with 2 friends. We has a cheering competition with the people opposite us. Hehe.

Lewis
Anonymous

[quote=""Xx King of Speed xX""]
I was the black one, with brown jumper and jeans, with 2 friends. We has a cheering competition with the people opposite us. Hehe.[/quote]

[quote=""Xx King of Speed xX""]
It was just IMO unnessrecary to mention they were black. It only encourages the steriotype.[/quote]
host_with_the_most

I think u picked the wrong day to go chum!

everyone i know interacts with the guests, they have a laugh and joke with them, talk to them and are genuinely interested if they are having a good day.
You may slate it, but you love it and without it what would u have?
Fosterweb

Yes that was a small downer with my trip today. I smiled and said hi to quite a few and got no reaction what so ever. They just sit/stand there looking miserable and ignore u or put no effort in at all to answering a q. I had two exemptions, a woman on the skyride and this old chap hu ws there last year on the rmt jolley as ever!
Anonymous

They were all fine when I went, whnever I came of a ride even skyride I said thanks beacuse showing a little politeness and appreciation might just make them have a great day just for remebering the person who said thanks. Who ever I said it to :D
kalvaza

Fair enough but aren't THEY being paid to show appeciation to YOU for coming to the park? lol. :lol:
Anyway, one time one or two years back I said thanks to a staff member and he stared at me as if I just insulted him or something. :?
Mabye he was just a chav and tried to look hard or something. It's just a shame that someone like that has to bring down the whole reputation of the AT staff.
haydn!

Come on, I spend eight hours a day working on the phones for an energy company, and if i can leave still smiling (after demanding final payments and threatening court action, trying to explain a heatwise bill and apologising for the fact their lightswitch in the living buzzes...even though this as nothing to do with the supplier) im sure the Alton Towers staff can manage it!
geminidj

I agree to a certain extent.

Answering phones is not the most thrilling of jobs. Im sure all the people doing it would rather be operating rides or doing accounts or bungee jumping or something.

We all have had a really **** job. Its part of life. But even when it is my day to sweep up the park (i work at an amusement park, not AT though) , i try to lok cheerfull. I try to help customers who are lost or dont understand something. Sure operating rides is 99999 times more interesting, but the staff at an amusemnt park are looked up to by customers. We are seen as smarter (about the park at least) than them. We know things they dont.

But even sweeping the park provides motivation. Do a good job and you get to op a ride the next day. Do a **** job and you get another day sweeping up. Motivation.

But working in a call centre, how bloody boring can you get. What possable source of motivation could you have. Nobody ever says please or thank you after waiting in a queue for the phone to be answered. At lease operating rides you can make chit chat with people every now and again. But one rude, arrogant or obstrictive person ruins your whole day and you go around thinking you are unappreciated. Which is NOT a nice feeling.

Same thing with call centre staff. If one caller gets angry at them (for something which is probably not their fault) they feel demoralised and unnapreciated.

But, King of Speed, you got the information you wanted. He answred your call, wasnt rude, and gave you what you asked for. The purpose of you calling was fulfilled.

Give them a break. And remember to say please and thank you to the person on the other end of the phone. Perhaps the queue length will be shorter next time you cann because the staff are motivated and working faster because everybody is being nice to them all of a sudden.
haydn!

[quote=""geminidj""]Same thing with call centre staff. If one caller gets angry at them (for something which is probably not their fault) they feel demoralised and unnapreciated.[/quote]

I have to disagree there...i actually like being shouted at! makes the job more exciting and challenging. Agreed some call centres are probably boring, and processsing the same type of job over and over has got to be boring. But i work for one of the UK's biggest companies, in thier customer services department, and the randomness of calls keeps me going all day! no two are ever the same. Plus, the obsene amount of money i get paid to do this is also a bonus
geminidj

Experiance knows better. You put it that way and i have to admit, it would be fun to deal with someone who is shouting and swearing and geting really irate

Id just hang up and see what the pest's response was
host_with_the_most

i think u will find that it is hard work being uber polite to people that are
a) out for that
b) having fun with their friends
c) experieinceing alton towers
d) and then complaining because the Q is too long when it is only a low day.

it is bloody hard work keeping a smile on ur face when u have ur own issues to deal with.
the people that work at towers are just that, people.

they get paid to help u and if for any reason they have a spare nano second then they can talk to you.

please do not be offended if they are too busy to speak to you when all they are trying to do is speed up so everyone can get a go on the rides.

hosts and op's work for the public and the main aim is making sure everyone gets on to the rides safley and quickly.
You may slate it, but you love it and without it what would u have?