Staff

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Makusu

I didn't notice the staff being moody last time I went apart from on the Corkscrew, they really lookedl ike they wouldn't give a **** if it came right off the track.
Beaver Dude

I thought the staff at AT weren't very good. Only one member really stood out the rest all looked bored and miserable. On SW they were having a chat about some party not interested in the guests. They also never use the ride PA to have fun like they do at the other parks. For a "resort" AT's staff suck.
plasticboy

To be honest, i think the staff at AT are really good. Whenever i go they seem to be really enjoying their job. Last time i remember the ride team on the flume, they were joking with all the guests and everything, including making song out of all the ride announcements, like the 'please do not splash announcement etc. Take a trip to DMP, that is the defenition of BAD staff!
Fanta

Worst staff I've witnessed are at Drayton. i've never noticed anything particularly bad at Alton. You get the odd happy and the odd unhappy staff but you'd expect that.
Anonymous

Ive always found the Staff really helpful and nice but the ones working in the ticket booths are prettty mardy
Jem8472

Wen I went to AT on the 19th we had a great time, there were a few members of staff looking bored but these were in the little food places and there was no one buying anything.

There was some good staff about, the ride op on oblivion was funny. And Frank that was doing the ride photos on spinball wizzer he was a very helpful guy.

I have worked in a shop and I know how hard it can be to be happy so I dont really mind if they look annoyed or pissed off because to be honest i prob would not want to be there everyday, it must really take the magic away from the park so it is not so fun to visit.
barryzola

Look out for the guy who works midweek in the maccy d's in forbidden valley. He's got short black hair, average build and height and he's the most miserable member of staff ive ever seen. When he serves you he looks as though he wants to nut you. When he's working in the back he looks as though he's taking his time on purpose. He's brilliant. He's well p*****d off.
plasticboy

Anyone who is visiting AT on any of the firework spectaculaur days, just take a look at the staff.........they are absolutely brilliant. I dont know what AT do to their staff before these days, but they are brilliant! I have visited on a firework spectacular day for the last 3 years, i every year all of the staff have been cheery, helpful and well into their job.
I will never forget last year when i visited, and the park had got the ride teams on Nemesis and Air having a throughput competition or something like that. I was told by some 'leon' dude who worked on Air that they were being set targets, and whenever they met a target they scored a point, and the ride with the most points at the end of the day got a bonus in their pay! The staff were running about all over the place, it really did look good. :)
Moley

Theres one good member of staff at Drayton, that woman that checks the restraints on Maelstrom. Dont you agree Chris :lol:
plasticboy

Theres one good member of staff at Drayton, that woman that checks the restraints on Maelstrom. Dont you agree Chris
Yes!, but last time i visited (June this year) she wasnt there! :( Neither did i see her anywhere else on the park! :( :( :( :(
Anonymous

ive only ever had one complaint about a member of staff which I reported to guest services, I was queing for Submission with my 9 year old cousin and we were at the gate waiting to get on the next ride and the people who had just boarded were trying to pull their ott harness down which you dont on submission. The staff member shouted "dont pull on your harnesses" then turned round facing the queue and said "you F**cking dumbasses".

I looked and said "excuse me" and he ignored me and went to the control booth bit and stayed there. Yeah my 9 year old cousin aint naive but even I dont want to hear that, especially off a staff member.

Guest services apologised and said they would pass on the complaint, but i doubt anything ever happened.

Anyway 99% of the staff I've encountered are good, yeah they dont always smile but if they smiled for the million hours they are there, their faces would hurt!
Anonymous

[quote=""geminidj""]

But even sweeping the park provides motivation. Do a good job and you get to op a ride the next day. Do a **** job and you get another day sweeping up. Motivation.

[/quote]

im afraid it doesnt work like that. take 20 A4 sheets of paper fill both sides with text and memorize the lot. that just to be passed-off as a ride assistant. take another 15, do the same, thats for an op.

if your sweeping the floor its because you legally cant operate, it cost money to train an op, very few people operate. and it isnt fun

press button, let go, repeat. hardly worth blowing a load over.

there is not motivation, even for assistant.

check people are in their seats stand for a minute repeat-----? i challenge you to do the same and look happy. and the best bit is no matter how fast you go the manages will never say its fast enough. the people that do look happy are the naturaly chirpy type that everyone in the world universally despise

also most of the staff at towers at sudents <25 years old. were all either annoyed coz we should still be in bed or are hung over and in many cases both

im not one of the ignorant morons that work there btw, if you ask me a question i will answer (if i have time, thankyou for pointing that out to everyone host_with_the_most) and i save my incredibly sarcastic wit for only the most stupid guests, just dont expect me acted as if im honored to meet you.

ps smartarse kids are THE definitive annoyance at work, and mat result in me one day going on a killcrazy rampage through the park. so kids, remember that next time you thing your being so funny
Muppet

I was in the park on Saturday 29th oct and i saw a lot of staff around the park so there was always someone to ask either in fancy dress or in their uniforms. Also there were a lot on litter duty either picking up or keeping the bins empty and the park was kept very tidy - the field after the fireworks was covered in rubbish but within half an hour it had all been picked up.

Little things like this are very important I was very impressed!
geminidj

ATstaff that's how it was at MY theme park where I worked. I have no idea how it is at AT for you guys.

But when I was working at the parks (Codonas in Aberdeen to be precise) I really enjoyed operating rides. OK fair enough I wasn't host, but assisting on any of the rides was fun. Perhaps its just because the park is so much smaller. But I was able to make chit chat and help people out all day. Only one one occasion was I unhappy (when Mrs codona shouted at me and called me a worthless piece of **** for calling my parents telling them I'm working late. i just told her to **** off and shove her job)
Bantamboy-again!
Location: Bradford, The best place in yorkshire! Apart from Leeds, Sheffield, Huddersfield e.t.c

At the end of the day, a hell of a lot of these staff are working 9-6ish, and they're doing a hell of a lot more then pen pushing, day in, day out, they have to deal with fresh problems, if you work on a ride, you have to operate it, and deal with queue jumpers. In a shop, you have people asking you all sorts of questions, keeping queues in order, silly gits stealing etc.

If your working like that March till October/November, I'm pretty sure you'd feel just as deflated?
THE RETURN OF BANTAMBOY CAMPAIGN BEGINS HERE! -Give me my old account back!
TTF, ATA, Towersnerd, anywhere, anytime (almost!)
JezziWezzi

They were nasty to me when i rang up to see what time they closed at! ii gave them a ring, somebody answered, i said "hello, what time do you close today?" they just answered with a grumpy "5pm, goodbye" and put the phone down on me!
Anonymous

Shocking!

It doesn't matter how repetitive or boring working at different apsects in Alton Towers is, that is by no means an excuss to be so darn grumpy!

If staff did their jobs well, they would work to their best ability and enthusiasm, and even if they weren't overtly happy have a smile on their face - theme park staff should apprieciate that the people there are merely out to come to a "out-of-this-world" atmosphere to have a very good time, and shouldn't be greeted by staff who have the same mood as your average person in Asda :roll:.

If staff I Disneyland and such can do and absoloutley astouding job (including acting for effect, normally for much longer shifts) I doubt to see why Alton's, or any other UK park for that matter, can't be the same.
Crofty

[quote=""JerMain.e""]Shocking!
If staff I Disneyland and such can do and absoloutley astouding job (including acting for effect, normally for much longer shifts) I doubt to see why Alton's, or any other UK park for that matter, can't be the same.[/quote]

I dont think that you can compare Disney. Staff at Disney are paid to be very happy, you don't often see the Ride Op because of the theming but i can imagine he/she would have the same sort of mood as an Alton Op.

The people you see front of house at disney are payed to make people happy, I dont think the wages that Alton Towers pay are anything to be chirpy about, if you couple that with bad weather most of the time and little motivation then you can see why you get mostly glum faces.

:D :D
Anonymous

Meh, I can't see any excusses.

They have a job. They are extremely crap at that job. They shouldn't be.
And.

JerMain.e - why don't you get a job at Alton then and show us all how its done?!

I find it very very demoralising and upsetting to see a post saying that "they're crap at that job."

I work at Alton from 10.00ish until 5pm,6pm,7pm up to 10pm on fireworks - yes, they're quite good hours, although the pay has much to be desired (although it will be improving slightly over the next year)

I love my job to bits and I can't wait to get started again in April, I try my hardest and always attempt to entertain you lot whenever I can - however working on the games is a lot harder than you probably think.

You try and put loads of energy into grabbing your attention and getting you to play - singing songs on microphones, shouting the odds at you (in a nice way of course) but when it's received with grumbles, remarks like "f off the games are fixed"; "how old are you? get a real job" etc etc it can be extremely demoralising - and a comment like yours does nothing at all to help the situation.

I can't speak for the rides, entertainments and f&b staff but I work damn hard at my job, and when somebody essentially says I'm crap it does actually make me livid.

To compare Alton Towers to the likes of Disney is absolutely unfair. Disney is in a completely different league to Alton altogether - much higher budgets, and possibly higher wages, better staff perks etc etc etc. As much as you WANT Alton Towers to be the Disneyland of the UK - it is not - it is nowhere near the standard of Disneyland and the ground floor staff are not to blame.

So next time you come up with a smart arsed comment like that, think about the positive aspects BEFORE you post.

[/rant]