General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Bailey

i just hope that it isnt true! well done for finding that out Locker though
Locker

I hope it's not true too, I must stress I haven't been told by anyone remotely official so it could be nonsense, but there's also the possibility and it got me thinking how things kind of add up.

Regards,
Mark
Jay12

WOW this seems to be a very stupid mistake, with these top roller coaster desingers surely they would of noticed before they even started construction. I really hope its not true.
Sig made by Craig - Gashead.
Locker

Well if it does turn out to be true, it would have to be the coaster blunder of the century! I'm just going through some pictures now to see if there is any evidence of extremely tight areas.

Regards,
Mark
Coasternut

I really can't believe this to be true, surely the ride would have gone through extensive checks as it was being designed/built. Maybe this is a case for Tiger Two Thousand. Care to enlighten us???
Locker

Two possible places that the problem could occur...

On the second image, I remember me and Bailey saying on the Sky Ride that we thought you could nearly touch the supports it was so close.

But yeah it's still pretty unlikely when you think about it, neither of those shots show that it is close enough to cause any problems. I'm just passing on some information I was given, I hope myself it's a deal out of nothing!

Regards,
Mark
Last edited by Locker on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marshy

[quote=""Locker""]Two possible places that the problem could occur...

On the second image, I remember me and Bailey saying on the Sky Ride that we thought you could nearly touch the supports it was so close.

Regards,
Mark[/quote]

Maybe they can put extra spongey padding on it so that if it is hit it won't harm :P

But those supports do look a bit intrusive! Oh dear!!!
St Helens - 2006 Clean Sweep Champions and so far 2007 World Club Champions.
bond231

i am not saying its impossible but i would think rollercoaster experts know that people will put there hands up
Anonymous

very unlikrly this would happen. I think it would mean they would have to redo all the supports in that area, which would mean ripping alot of block paving up, diggin another large hole and reinserting a new support. Lets just hope its not true
jpecool

I dont think this would happen, especially with designers like Intamin. They are one of the best ride manufacturers to ever have graced this earth (along with CCI, Prior and Church, Traver, Miller and maybe B&M or S&S) so i highly doubt this happened, although i am not doubting there is the possibility. :cry: I just cant imagine this happening, especially with all the software Intamin will have used which will have checked for all of these kind of space intrusions, G force limits etc. They then will have checked this themselves. It would be devastating if it was true. And can you imagine if it was in a really tricky place and lots of the track would have to extended or altered, or the supports.

BTW remember how big the track is in those pictures compared to people, and how you will be higher up in the car, so it is highly unlikely taking this into account that it woudl have happened on the 2nd picture, although i cannot see the 1st picture clear enough.

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
Locker

this pretty much writes off the first picture as being a problem :)

Regards,
Mark
Anonymous

I sincerely hope this isn't true. Would be very damaging to AT's reputation. In Locker's post however, it does look as if there would be very little space between your arm and the support if you were sitting on the right - and your arm was stretched out horizontally. Very difficult to tell though from photos...

Fingers crossed this is a false rumour...
Marshy

[quote=""marky.com""]I sincerely hope this isn't true. Would be very damaging to AT's reputation. In Locker's post however, it does look as if there would be very little space between your arm and the support if you were sitting on the right - and your arm was stretched out horizontally.

Fingers crossed this is a false rumour...[/quote]

There's not much room on Corkscrew towards the end where you feel like you're going to hit your head on the supports! I'm sure somebody could reach out and hit them there!
St Helens - 2006 Clean Sweep Champions and so far 2007 World Club Champions.
Queen of Speed

Looks like someone is having a laugh and your expense.
jpecool

This pic definately shows you will not be able to touch a support on the other pic Locker showed in his post, so we have proved that there isnt a poissibility in them places, and i cant think of any others. Can anyone else??? This would be a very very stupid mistake if it was true

Locker

Looks like someone is having a laugh and your expense.
I don't see why?

Regards,
Mark
jpecool

[quote=""Queen of Speed""]Looks like someone is having a laugh and your expense.[/quote]

Im sorry but why would someone be having a laugh about this. Its not what people normally joke about is it, and even if they were its livened up this conversation again!!!! :D

Bailey

Nobody would be laughing about this. This is very serious :evil:
wez0s

Yeah, i wouldnt be laughing if my arms went flying off!

I sure this is a load of rubbish!
:D
I Am 32 And Three Quarters Years Old And I Work In A Condom Packaging Factory In East Iraq And I Handle The Lube!
Lets Rais Baby Monkeys Together
andysj

I'd be so surprised if it were true, with the amount of software these companies have this would have been taken into account during the design of the ride, however if the worst did come to the worst and it were true then I think Intamin would probably modify the restraints to restrict riders arm movement so that they could not stick their arm right out where it could hit anything. It would cost a fortune to modify the track, you cant just take a section of track and squash it down a bit or stretch it out, it'd either need to be chopped up and re-welded or else completely new secions of track fabricated.