Rate the Rollercoasters [2019]

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Your Favourite Coaster [2019]

Poll ended at Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:27 pm

Galactica / Air
No votes
Nemesis
42%
Rita
No votes
TH13TEEN
No votes
Oblivion
3%
The Smiler
24%
Spinball Whizzer
No votes
Octonauts
No votes
Wicker Man
32%
Runaway Minetrain
No votes

Total votes: 38
apx00

It doesn't look like anyone has done this for 2019, let's see if peoples' opinions have changed...
Especially with Galactica since there is no VR at all now.

Here's my list
  1. The Smiler
  2. Nemesis
  3. Galactica (Air) / Spinball Whizzer
  4. Wicker Man
  5. Oblivion
  6. TH13TEEN
  7. Rita
  8. Runaway Minetrain
I'm not counting Octonauts because I've never ridden it.
Tom170499

1 The Smiler 
2 Wicker Man 
3 Air 
4 Oblivion
5 Nemesis 
6 Rita 
7 Spinball
8 Th13teen 
9 RMT
Mango18

1 -Nemesis
2 -The Smiler
3 -Oblivion
4 -Th13teen
5 -Galatica
6 -Spinball Whizzer
7 -Rita
8 -RMT
(Visited the park earlier this season but haven’t managed to ride Wicker Man yet)
Wagstaff04

1. Nemesis
2. Wicker Man
3. Galactica
4. The Smiler
5. Oblivion
6. Th13teen
7. Rita
8. Spinball Whizzer
9. RMT
10. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
vikkimoo

1. Wicker Man
2. Nemesis
3. Thirteen
4. Smiler
5. RMT - always got a soft spot for it!
6. Oblivion - terrifying, I won't go on it unless everyone else in the crew is.
7. Rita - gone way down my list due to being rough.
8. Galactica - never liked it even before the VR.
9. Octonauts - never been on it but I would if my legs fit in!
10. Spinball - I can't handle any sort of spinning - teacup rides make me vom - so never been on it. I feel sick just watching it!
Justin

This is actually really hard...

1. Wicker Man
2. The Smiler
3. Oblivion
4. Nemesis
5. Galactica
6. Th13teen
7. Rita
8. Spinball Whizzer
9. Runaway Mine Train
10. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
NemesisRider

1. Nemesis - high intensity and one of the best terrain coasters around.
2. Wicker Man - endlessly rerideable and surprisingly immersive. A perfect addition to the lineup.
3. The Smiler - can be a bit on the rough side, but the insane layout more than makes up!
4. Galactica - graceful and super fun. Tops Smiler as a night ride for me, but just good in the day.
5. Oblivion - fantastic drop, that is all.
6. Th13teen - definitely a family coaster, but good fun. The drop is still great!
7. Rita - on a good day, this can be a lot higher... however, roughness and reliability issues reduce its ranking.
8. Runaway Mine Train - mostly here because it’s such a laugh!
9. Spinball Whizzer - a bit nauseous, but still alright. Could have been so much more though!
10. Octonauts - I’ve ridden this literally once.
DerpyQuark

1) The Smiler
2) Wicker Man
3) Thi13teen
4) Nemesis 
5) RMT
6) Galactica
7) Oblivion
8 ) Rita
9) Spinball Whizzer
10) Octonauts
Dan

1 - Wicker Man
2 - The Smiler
3 - Nemesis
4 - Oblivion
5 - Thirteen
6 - Galactica
7 - Spinball Whizzer
8 - Rita
9 - RMT
10 - Octonauts
apx00

NemesisRider wrote:1. Nemesis - high intensity and one of the best terrain coasters around.
2. Wicker Man - endlessly rerideable and surprisingly immersive. A perfect addition to the lineup.
3. The Smiler - can be a bit on the rough side, but the insane layout more than makes up!
4. Galactica - graceful and super fun. Tops Smiler as a night ride for me, but just good in the day.
5. Oblivion - fantastic drop, that is all.
6. Th13teen - definitely a family coaster, but good fun. The drop is still great!
7. Rita - on a good day, this can be a lot higher... however, roughness and reliability issues reduce its ranking.
8. Runaway Mine Train - mostly here because it’s such a laugh!
9. Spinball Whizzer - a bit nauseous, but still alright. Could have been so much more though!
10. Octonauts - I’ve ridden this literally once.
I like your reasons,
Here's mine with reasons
  1. The Smiler - Great layout and theming, really intense. The roughness you sometimes get doesn't really bother me.
  2. Nemesis - Classic, intense all the way through, great terrain and I love the leg chopper bit when you go over the station!
  3. Galactica (Air) / Spinball Whizzer - Air because I like its technology and innovation (although I'm disappointed with its theming after finding out what the original plans were), it's also very smooth and now the VR is gone you're not left sitting on the brake run for ages. Spinball because it's really fun and I like how it throws you about, I like the back to back car design as well.
  4. Wicker Man - Really fun and thrilling woodie but it could have been made a lot better if John Wardley done the whole track layout. The first drop is amazing and there's some good airtime but I hate that corner about half way through which has absolutley no banking and just gives laterals for about 5 seconds.
  5. Oblivion - Too short but its still really fun being held over the edge, especially if you don't pull the harness down very tightly and it lifts you out of your seat, obviously don't leave the harness up too much, just a couple of clicks off touching you.
  6. TH13TEEN - Fun family coaster, over-hyped with the marketing though. I was a bit let down when I first went on it but I love the drop and the technology used to do it.
  7. Rita - I don't really get Rita's theme. It's a bit rough but I don't mind, it just seems to be something they slapped in to fill up Ug Land though.
  8. Runaway Minetrain - Not really thrilling but still a good family coaster. It has a nice theme and I like the tunnel where it interacts with the rapids. It's got nothing on the rest though.
I do agree though, I think Spinball could have been a lot more. It would have been so much better with the tilt track John Wardley wanted before the lift. It would make it a bit more unique. I still think it beats Dragon's Fury any day though.

About Air at night. I've never been for a Scarefest / Fireworks when it's been Galactica. The Smiler was my favourite to do at night because darkness just makes it more insane. Hopefully I'll get to try Air this year in the dark with the portal and everything!
astead02

I haven't ridden Wicker Man yet, so I will not be including it on the list, but here's my rankings:
1. Nemesis
2. The Smiler
3. Oblivion
4. TH13TEEN
5. Galactica
6. Spinball Whizzer
7. Rita
Harry347

My list is:
1. Nemesis - Inverts are pretty much my favourite coaster type, the ride is short but is intense in all the right ways. Even better now days as you never have to wait more than 10 mins to ride.
2. Wicker Man - Specifically the back few rows, great intensity for a family-thrill theming is on point.
3. The Smiler - Still king of inversions, I usually only ride The Smiler once or twice a day when I visit as the queue is usually super long and the cattle pen line kills me.
4. Thirteen - Really fun first drop and great layout, the drop track is also good fun.
5. Galactica - I used to rate this higher but since doing the Flying Dinosaur out in Japan, I find it so boring and lacklustre.
6. Spinball Whizzer - I really enjoy this spinning coasters they are great fun although the queue for this one is usually long enough to put me off riding it.
7. Rita - Honestly if this ride did something other than just launch it'd go up in my list. If they replace the trains to have lap bars that would also be a big improvement.
8. RMT - Good fun, can't really rate a powered coaster higher than any actual rollercoasters, still an enjoyable ride and a big part of my childhood.