The Alton Towers Dungeon

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
DeadJack5

For me, I think The Dungeons aren't exactly something that is needed. With the amount of Dungeon attractions all over the country, I just don't see the point in it being introduced at Towers. Yes, it will be nice to see the history of Alton brought to life in the form of The Dungeons but I would have preferred an original dark ride attraction in Charlie's place.

I'm interested to see what it is like and how it pans out but it's definitely an attraction I'll won't be rushing to do again and again.
AltonOperator

DeadJack5 wrote:For me, I think The Dungeons aren't exactly something that is needed. With the amount of Dungeon attractions all over the country, I just don't see the point in it being introduced at towers. Yes it will be nice to see the history of Alton brought to life in the form of the dungeons but I would have preferred an original dark ride attraction in Charlie's place.

I'm interested to see what it is like and how it pans out but it's definitely an attraction I'll won't be rushing to do again and again.
I agree. This is definitely not what they need at the moment. guest experience needs improving and hidden (optional I know) costs are not going to help that.
But yes, I am definitely looking forward to seeing the attraction, especially how they incorporate it into CCL (or don't bother).
Thanks Jack
Dom

The Black River is what the boat scene is being hinted at being called in the AT Dungeon according to a video posted to Alton Towers social media.
GregH94

My guess is that the elevator will come first in that case if it's meant to be beneath the towers - sounds like it may be loosely based on a section of the Caldon Canal which is known for very narrow tunnels 
ProfBurp

Looks like there is either a glitch on accesso for booking The ATR Dumgeon for October/Halloween as only time slot you can book for the whole month is 1pm! So someone clearly didn’t do their job properly with matching the park opening hours! It’s impossible for every time slot to be filled on every day except 1pm I think Merlin....
Dan

Dom wrote:The Black River is what the boat scene is being hinted at being called in the AT Dungeon according to a video posted to Alton Towers social media.
Here is the video Dom is referencing.

Up to this point I haven’t been at all bothered by a Dungeon coming to Towers, but that’s purely because I don’t think it’s what the park needs right now. Having done three Dungeons now (Blackpool, Edinburgh and Warwick) they are attractions I enjoy, so I’m hoping that the Alton Towers Dungeon follows that up.

That being said, I don’t see it being an attraction I go through on every visit.
Justin

They'll be hard pushed to beat The London Dungeons. That ultimately remains my favourite Dungeon, but I am very confident they will do a good job! They have lots of potential using the old Charlie building, so it will be interesting to see how they utilise the space and change the appearance of the building.

Alton will be my fourth Dungeon location if including the old Tooley Street Dungeon, which had loads of atmosphere, but I am a big Dungeons fan. I really can't wait for it to open as the brand really fascinates me. I'll always be up for a visit!
DeadJack5

I believe the boat section will be first, if I'm right it's the first aspect of each of the videos that comes first. It makes sense as well to begin on the boat and journey back in time.

I've only done 2 dungeon attractions so far so this will be my 3rd. If the acting team do a great job of capturing that imagination and crude fun, it will definitely make me want to revisit but at this point I'll only visit the attraction on the odd occasion.
Zach

DeadJack5 wrote:I believe the boat section will be first, if I'm right it's the first aspect of each of the videos that comes first. It makes sense as well to begin on the boat and journey back in time.

I've only done 2 Dungeon attractions so far so this will be my 3rd. If the acting team do a great job of capturing that imagination and crude fun, it will definitely make me want to revisit but at this point I'll only visit the attraction on the odd occasion.
I think Jacks right here, the boat ride does appear to be the first part of The Dungeons I have been to, or at least after a short introduction (no flashy boxes or chat of snap and all that etc). Particularly with the video saying that the “black river taking sinners to meet there fate” suggesting the black river is what takes you into The Dungeon. 
DeadJack5

Zach wrote:
DeadJack5 wrote:I believe the boat section will be first, if I'm right it's the first aspect of each of the videos that comes first. It makes sense as well to begin on the boat and journey back in time.

I've only done 2 dungeon attractions so far so this will be my 3rd. If the acting team do a great job of capturing that imagination and crude fun, it will definitely make me want to revisit but at this point I'll only visit the attraction on the odd occasion.
I think jacks right here, the boat ride does appear to be the first part of the dungeons I have been to or at least after a short introduction (no flashy boxes or chat of snap and all that etc). Particularly with the video saying that the “black river taking sinners to meet there fate” suggesting the black river is what takes you into the dungeon. 
I think the route for the dungeons will be the same as what it was for Charlie and that the rooms will be remade into scenes for the attraction. I'm unsure where the elevator scene will be or if it even will be featured but I guess we shall all see in a few weeks time
Zach

The Stoke Sentinel have done a piece on the Dungeons, which confirms a few facts we have been speculating on. 
  • The Dungeons will be a 45-minute experience.
  • Features The Bishop of Stafford who will sentence the accused, surviving the plague and a trip to the Witch of Burslem’s haunted house (A local tale).
  • No mention of the old Charlie lifts, which suggests they aren’t being used. 
You can find the full piece Here 
Dan

As reported by TowersTimes social media; Alton Towers have updated their website to include further details about The Alton Towers Dungeon, including a suggestion of the order of shows that guests will venture through in the Dungeon’s chambers.

Opening on 23rd March, guests will be sentenced by the Bishop of Stafford before boarding a boat and journeying along the Black River to meet The Torturer. As part of The Highwayman, Dick Turpin surprises guests in the Welsh Harp Inn, before potential victims come face-to-face with the Plague Doctor. Finally, guests will take shelter from the storm in a dark, abandoned cottage in The Haunting.

Are you ready to laugh and scream in 2019?

DeadJack5

A quick thought; if the boat journey from Charlie is being used for the Black River section of the ride, could the projection room that used to play a introduction for the ride be used for sentencing scene before boarding?

If the layout is going to take the form of Charlie, then the room prior to the boat section (the Willy Wonka introduction room/queue) could be used for the sentencing.

After this point I am unsure of the rest of the attraction as I'm unsure of the space that is available but it was just a quick thought/idea for the beginning scene.
theparklifekid

Hmmmmmm
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Sawboss

Entrance looks cool, I presume they're going to cover those charlie decorations with SOMETHING before opening day..
GregH94

I actually like this entrance, it looks like the entrance to an old Saxon settlement

Now they just need to hide the evidence of Charlie before opening weekend, lol
Justin

It looks small from the outside, but I am expecting poster frames to be added to the wood, along with a map of the attraction. Most definitely, the Charile theming will be covered up, how this is done, I am not sure, but there are more wooden polls nearby (not pictured). It could be simply painted, or turned into brickwork, but I would have expected that to have been done with the rest!

I wasn't sure at first, but on reflection, I think it works and it wouldn't have looked right as just a castle. I'm sure they will add some flame beacons around the area too, which will look amazing at night!
Dan

The entrance feature certainly isn't what I was expecting, but I quite like it. Although, at the moment it looks a bit bare, so I hope they dress it up somewhat before the Dungeon opens.

I'm sure any Charlie theming that hasn't yet been covered up/removed, will have disappeared by the time the park opens next week.
Michelle

It's hard to say for certain without seeing it in person, but I kind of like it... Definitely haven't had the instant 'its terrible' reaction that some others have had , and yes you would hope that by opening we won't be able to see any of the Charlie theming!
Rob
Admin
Admin

I think that currently it looks awful so will wait till opening day to see the finished product. Theres no height variations on the front theming making is look tiny and unappealing. It just looks very cheap and temporary.

Comparing to previous attraction entrances this has to be the worse....

Image Image