The Alton Towers Dungeon

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

A number of slots could be made available. Warwick apply the same logistics by allocating an number of places to pass holders. It is then first come, first served.
AltonOperator

Yes that’s certainly possible but I believe Alton have a much higher rate of PMAP visitors than Warwick
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

Justin wrote:We shall see, Chris. I am expecting a similar set up to Warwick personally.
Maybe it'll be based on how many people say; ha, not paying that! :lol Although if it is capacity restricted they may be stuck on options.

Fair enough on both comments made about wanting an attraction with quality actors full time, compared to what happens otherwise at a Merlin park. I hate that this is a conversation, and that Merlin have bled the parks dry.

For me, if they had built this on the Stargazing Pods site or elsewhere external to the park perimeter, it would have been a better outcome. I'd have even happily paid to go in an evening, whilst at the resort. Probably more than that £5 as well.
James89

I do appreciate with an attraction like this, there are additional running costs for actors etc. so I understand the need for it to be an up-charge attraction. That said, for a lot of people who don't have a season pass, a day at Alton Towers can be rather expensive as it is, especially for families who they're trying to appeal to. So I can't see it going down too well with those who are expecting it to be included in the price if they're not making it clear in the marketing. I realise people don't have to go on it if they don't want to pay the extra, I just think it would've been more worthwhile investing in a new, free attraction. Whether that had been a totally new ride or a revamp of the existing boat ride into a new experience. That way they would've avoided any controversy around the additional cost and logistics of it all.

Nevertheless, I'll still give it a go. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the other Dungeon attractions I've done, but I'm interested to see what they've done to the ride itself. I just can't see this being a long-term success.
wamdue

Dom wrote:Alton Towers have just tweeted some kind of video for The Alton Towers Dungeon

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/1099406190298255360
It looks likey they spent £5 on that advert, not even slightly impressive.
Justin

Personally, I see the opening of The Dungeons as a long term strategy to make Alton an all year round attraction.

We have seen clear signs of this with the 'Golden Triangle' in Forbidden Valley, CBeebies Land being open during Christmas and SeaLife opening during February half term, so add The Dungeons to the mix and you have the beginnings of a good Winter line-up. Add the opening of the Tower Ruins and gardens into the mix and you've got a nice day out! Sort Cloud Cuckoo Land out by making that into an entertainment complete, incorporating the theatre for performances and you're laughing!

I'm not saying it will happen in the next year or so, but possibly 5 years down the line. I know I would visit!
Dom

I have started to think what shows we will see inside the Dungeon. I think there will of course be The Torturer, The Plague Doctor and The Judge as they seem to be in every Dungeon attraction. I will be surprised if those don't appear in the attraction. What other shows do you think there will be?
Swarm Chris

One scene will surely be linked to Alton Towers. But with Hex having done such a great job on telling one such story, I'm not sure what that could be.
Dom

But isn't the Hex story based on legend not fact? Dungeon shows are based on fact and the actual history.
Coaster Chall

We do know that guests will be making a stop at the Witch of Burslem’s haunted cottage and the judge is the Bishop of Stafford. The boat ride is definitely a sewer boat trip from that new Twitter video and of course the Torturer and the Plague Doctor. The last show in my opinion is secret, cause firstly it'll be in the elevator scene from Charlie (whether it's in the Elevator or replacing it) and secondly there's a suprise otherwise they'd reveal the story.
Justin

No doubt you will sit in the cottage and ghostly happenings will begin. I can see this being like Jack the Ripper at London, perhaps with elements of Sweeney Todd and the chairs.
Coaster Chall

Yeah absolutely. The last show in the elevator section is unknown and I am so hoping that this'll be some kinda ride/simulator system either the elevator or a new system.
Zach

I only have one thing to say on this whole pay attraction none sense, mazes people pay to do and are very happy to do so, this is a ride and walk through attraction, for a bargain price. The HB lesuire games are extra and I say plenty of people paying to do them in excess of £5 so again a bargain at £5. 

No one forces people to do or pay for anything :) 
Coaster Chall

Yeah, I absolutely agree! Honestly though I hope it's worth the pay cause you can only get away with it if the quality of the ride is above that standard.
ProfBurp

I also agree. Initially I was very much against the whole idea of paying for entry to The Dunegons attraction, however on reflection I think if they get it right, it is like you paying to enhance your experience, similar to paying for HBL, Golf etc, all of which are elements to enhance your time at the resort. Like you’re said no one is forcing you to pay. I also agree that by adding the cost and giving time slots will mean that you should given the best possible experience, smaller groups, etc etc. I do however feel that they could have perhaps offered another rate for Premium MAP’s even if it was £1 off or something as it seems wrong that Premium ATR passes are allowed an entry on every visit and the cost of that pass is nothing really in comparison. I feel this lucid have been better managed, but as I say I do now understand the thought process behind charging for this (add-on to your visit if you like)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I would say that the majority of more reasonable-minded people understand the need/reasoning for The Dungeon to be upcharge. However, I think there are frustrations with the fact that this isn’t the sort of attraction the theme park is most in need of at this time, following the removal of several flat rides and filler attractions, which were all included with admission, over the past few years.
Coaster Chall

lewis97 wrote:I would say that the majority of more reasonable-minded people understand the need/reasoning for the Dungeon to be upcharge. However, I think there are frustrations with the fact that this isn’t the sort of attraction the theme park is most in need of at this time, following the removal of several flat rides and filler attractions, which were all included with admission, over the past few years.
That's absolutely true. Hopefully though this all puts an end to the CCL saga and we can look towards a new area next year to complement the Dungeon. They wouldn't have added a Dungeon if they didn't have a phase 2 with the surrounding area.
ProfBurp

Coaster Chall wrote:That's absolutely true. Hopefully though this all puts an end to the CCL saga and we can look towards a new area next year to complement the Dungeon. They wouldn't have added a Dungeon if they didn't have a phase 2 with the surrounding area.
This is Merlin we are talking about here.... Anything is possible, so don’t count on it!
Last edited by ProfBurp on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coaster Chall

ProfBurp wrote:
Coaster Chall wrote:That's absolutely true. Hopefully though this all puts an end to the CCL saga and we can look towards a new area next year to complement the Dungeon. They wouldn't have added a Dungeon if they didn't have a phase 2 with the surrounding area.
This is Merlin we are talking about here.... Anything is possible, so son't count on it!
That's so true lol
Zach

lewis97 wrote:I would say that the majority of more reasonable-minded people understand the need/reasoning for The Dungeon to be upcharge. However, I think there are frustrations with the fact that this isn’t the sort of attraction the theme park is most in need of at this time, following the removal of several flat rides and filler attractions, which were all included with admission, over the past few years.
Perhaps it’s not what the park deserves right now but perhaps what it needs (cheeky batman quote) but in all seriousness maybe isn’t what we all think the parks needs however it’s what it’s got. This attraction as previously mentioned may help the park become a year round resort (more than it already is) and give guests more of a fulfilling experience with it perhaps being included in off seasons breaks such as Christmas and pirates & princesss weekends with special themed dungeon events or rooms much to mirror that of what the London or warrick dungeon offer. 
It’s a step in the right direction, who knows maybe flat rides will be a focus another year.