The Alton Towers Dungeon

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

Thinking about it, Charlie technically has two things seen in other Dungeons, primarily the London one. The boat ride and the elevator. It’s possible they could reverse the boat ride and instead you enter via what was the exit for Charlie and then they use the elevators to represent the descent part of London’s Dungeon.
air_head

Dom wrote:Thinking about it, Charlie technically has two things seen in other Dungeons, primarily the London one. The boat ride and the elevator. It’s possible they could reverse the boat ride and instead you enter via what was the exit for Charlie and then they use the elevators to represent the descent part of London’s Dungeon.
If they can reroute the queue to go straight to the elevators, they wouldn't even need to reverse the boat section. If I remember rightly, the ride system continued beyond the disembarkation platform on CatCF, following the route Toyland Tours took.

The more I think about it, the more I can see this going into the Charlie building. The Towers would be the perfect location, but quite limiting in what it could do and offer. I could be proved wrong, as the Warwick Dungeon is great, one of the best themed ones. But for Alton I think they'd want a little more, and a boat ride would add to the experience. Who knows, we may see a completely different approach where it is just a boat ride with the Dungeons name. 
RobHand

Dom wrote:Thinking about it, Charlie technically has two things seen in other Dungeons, primarily the London one. The boat ride and the elevator. It’s possible they could reverse the boat ride and instead you enter via what was the exit for Charlie and then they use the elevators to represent the descent part of London’s Dungeon.
You're right Dom,
I could actually picture this going in CATCF building as mentioned, it ticks most of the boxes.
I however I am not a fan of having to pay an additional charge to enter, and I'm sure neither will the GP.
Time will tell I guess as with anything. I look forward to finding out more about this.
Nickolai

It sounds like it would be an interesting addition, it unfortunately would be a dark theme though.
Formally Smiler313
ATI

Don't know where I should best put this, but scaffolding has appeared on Nemesis Sub-Terra:-

Photo by Theme Park OracleTv.

EDIT:- Never mind, it is in the Nemesis Sub-Terra thread. But maybe they could move the drop towers from this to the CatCF building?
We were born to fly...
Bert

ATI wrote: But maybe they could move the drop towers from this to the CatCF building?
No chance, It would require a lot of effort to do that as they would have to find space to put the drop towers without effecting the boat ride or lifts, ripping up any of the ground within the building, pour a large footer for the towers to sit as well as factors like capacity and budget. I just can't see it realistically happening.
[Insert Signature Here]
Dom

I wouldn't say its impossible as its quite hard to see whats happening in the building or behind it, so its possible, but it is very unlikely given the nerds are out in force at the park from now until September :lol
Ensee

I'm a broken record on this one, but look back at the plans for the Jazz Land development. 

Putting the Dungeons in the CatCF building is practical, but might it not work better in some of the buildings that back on to the Towers themselves?  That way you come out of Hex and enter a similar area. Easy enough to re-do the facades in CCL and put in a mostly-labyrinth based Dungeon attraction behind them. If they're being cheap, the actor-led portion could be in the theatre at set times of the day.

Then keep building out this area over time using the Jazz Land masterplan. The drawings on the main TT site are mostly for massing purposes but some of the architecture hinted at for the indoor coaster (or new haunted house?) looks a little gothic.

The idea of a Dungeon at the opposite end of the park to the Haunted House makes it a little redundant. That frees up development space for something much bigger.
Swarm Chris

The feedback points have started asking guests whether they would like a paid-for year-round scare attraction. Three guesses as to what this is collecting information for. 

Given the upwards of 80 minute queues across the park today, they've certainly picked an odd time to ascertain guest interest in paying more to get another attraction. 

Source: Theme Park Guide on Twitter
Bert

Hmm, I dunno if a scare attraction could work to be honest. Merlin have done attractions like SAW: Alive and Sub Terra before and they were massive flops mainly because there wasn't enough interest for a return visit for most of the public but maybe if they somehow have it so it is outside the CAPEX investment cycle and have people pay for it could work but considering Merlin's previous attempts in introducing year round mazes have failed in the past, I'm still gonna remain highly skeptical. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Swarm Chris

Bert2theSpark wrote:Hmm, I dunno if a scare attraction could work to be honest. Merlin have done attractions like SAW: Alive and Sub Terra before and they were massive flops mainly because there wasn't enough interest for a return visit for most of the public but maybe if they somehow have it so it is outside the CAPEX investment cycle and have people pay for it could work but considering Merlin's previous attempts in introducing year round mazes have failed in the past, I'm still gonna remain highly skeptical. 
Would they consider making the Dungeon attraction more scare based for Alton though?

Edit: Or to rephrase that, would the Dungeons brand stand a better chance at succeeding? Although as you say, other attractions haven't done so well being scare themed, so why are Merlin giving it another go?
Stan.H

I don’t see why not with The Dunegons brand coming to Towers, as the Warwick Castle Dunegon has proven very popular, despite it being an upcharge attraction. I can see this being quite successful for Towers, IF and only if, they put in the effort and theming it deserves and not budget it cut it season after season- I can see it being quite a hit, however, I hope they do stay on top of maintaince within it as attractions, especially The Smiler, just sit there gathering dust and vandalism. So I hope they’ll keep the queue line, sets and scenes in good shape, and hopefully (with the potential of adding additional scenes in future years) the Towers Dungeon could bring in repeat custom from visitors in the park.
Dom

On the one hand, I think a Dungeons would work really well at AT. Yes its technically another brand and will probably be upcharge, but Dungeons are quite a popular historical educational attraction and could probably get extra income during open season from schools, as some school trips do try to add a bit of educational purposes for their visits. Also the brand is well known by quite a few people as being not really scary, but ultimately, fun. It appeals to a lot of people as its ideal for families to enjoy and its one for people who aren't really fans of rides to enjoy at Towers, just like Sealife. Its also something a bit different and that kind of appeals in a weird way.

On the other hand, it will probably be an upcharge, which means people could be less likely to want to pay more for it, so could end up being eerily quiet. Also Dungeons have a habit of being pretty samey in that once you've done one, you've kind of done them all. If Towers don't keep it updated than it wont have redo-ability to entice guests to keep doing it either. Plus Merlin don't have a good history with year round actor based attraction after year 1.

I'm so conflicted about how I feel about this. I want it but I don't want it
hursty

I'm a little apprehensive about the addition, and I think one of things I'm struggling with, is that I can't imagine the facade, particularly if it is for CCL / CatCF.
So I'm puzzling to imagine how that might work, CCL is very bright, and it would be a big contrast. And so it's the uncertainty of how it fits into the park, compared something like sea-life, which works quite well.

I'm also not sure of having an upcharge attraction in a relatively low footfall area of the park.
Dan

If the Dungeons does end up being in the CatCF building, there is potential for it to be an attraction that doesn’t call any “area” home.

If they were to retheme Burger Kitchen next door to tie-in with the Dungeons facade and branding, kind of what they’ve done with Wicker Man, they could leave CCL as it is and it wouldn’t be that much of a clash.

There is always the potential for CCL to be rethemed which could reduce any contrast of colours, but I do wonder how dark they would theme a children’s area. That being said, Mutiny Bay isn’t the brightest area in the world so it could be done.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

hursty wrote:I'm a little apprehensive about the addition, and I think one of things I'm struggling with, is that I can't imagine the facade, particularly if it is for CCL / CatCF.
I've thought a similar sort of thing. Clearly, The Towers themselves would perhaps be the most fitting location for a 'Dungeons', but that isn't looking likely at this point.

I can see Towers making such an attraction work though, however it can surely only be sustainable if there's an up-charge. With that said, I'm not sure it's what the park needs right now - instead it could do with prioritising the addition of some new flat rides, then opening this in a few years' time.
Justin

I have to agree with Dan. They would no doubt rebrand Charlie. I'd have no doubt the building fascia would be reworked and repainted.

I'm going to throw this into the mix, but with Terror of the Towers going, could that be a possible location for The Dungeons? This could utilise Her Ladyship's Gardens and the existing bridge structure?!
TheBeornen

Justin wrote:I have to agree with Dan. They would no doubt rebrand Charlie. I'd have no doubt the building fascia would be reworked and repainted.

I'm going to throw this into the mix, but with Terror of the Towers going, could that be a possible location for The Dungeons? This could utilise Her Ladyship's Gardens and the existing bridge structure?!
That could work and the entrance to the dungeons could be that little bridge out in front of the towers.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Michelle

I think the CATCF building makes sense to me. I'd like to see the boat element utilised , although I feel it's unlikely. After seeing Wobble World turned into House of Monsters I have great faith they could make a fantastic job of the retheme.
The facade could clash if CCL stays as a kids area though as already mentioned.

I feel so strongly against the Towers being used for this IF we lose any extra space in there, I absolutely love the ability to wander around the Towers themselves and get annoyed enough that they shut for Scarefest prep so early.

If it's done without restricting access to the building then it's the best place for it to be built I think, at Warwick the dungeon being built into the castle really adds something to the experience.
Nickolai

If the AT Dungeons is a paid for attraction, I am not sure the GP will like it, neither will I.
Formally Smiler313