The Alton Towers Park Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AltonOperator

Hey this is the first time I've started my own topic so I'm sorry if I did something wrong.
I thought it'd be nice to have a place where we could discuss The ATR map. This thread could be used to discuss our views on it and also talk about the 2018 one when it is finally released.
I'll start it off:
I feel like the 2017 map looks really empty and spread out. In past years it looks a lot more excited and action-packed. for 2018 I'd like to see this fixed. I presume they'll do a whole wickerman overhaul like they did for the 2013 map with The Smiler
Thanks Jack
Nutty Man

Good topic, I think, as I have a certain interest into AT maps and glad there's now discussion on it! :lol
Some people will disagree with me here but I quite like the map being vague and uninformative. I like the certain craziness to it and randomness to the rides. I think it makes it more fun and entertaining to look at, which is probably why I collect them!
Looking forward to seeing the wickerman map. :)
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Robert.W

Nice idea for a topic!

For reference, I've included a picture of the 2017 park map.

One thing I've always liked about the Alton Towers maps is their unique artistic style, and while I've seen some of their past maps have been criticised by some people for being cluttered and confusing, I never felt that they were.
I  have to agree that the 2017 map is little more sparse, and some people might say it is easier to read, I really don't think the sparseness detracts from the over all look of the map as there is still plenty of details!

AltonOperator

I completely agree with you! The maps are actually more like pieces of art than strict maps which can be boring. I find the WDW maps particularly pathetic because they're far more focused on perfection than being beautiful.
How uninspiring :lol
Thanks Jack
Tom170499

I get what you mean about the artistic value, but at the end of the day, the main purpose of a map is to help guests navigate the park. The Disney one is perfect for this whereas the Alton one (and the ones befor that between 2011 and now) have been so disorientating and confusing. I know the park like the back of my hand so I don’t need a map but for a first time guest, it’s terrible. 
AltonOperator

I definitely agree it can be confusing so I always recommend that first time visitors use the app's map as it is far more accurate:
Thanks Jack
Dom

I love the maps. I always have to grab the new maps when they get released. I particularly love the SF maps
Tom170499

I’d love them to make a paper version of the app map. My favourite maps are the ones from 1998 - 2001. The had both aesthetics and practicality. Below is the 1999 map: 

Nutty Man

I don't know why, but awhile ago I saw the 2017 scare fest map on eBay for £60! :-s
ROYJESS

Nutty Man wrote:I don't know why, but awhile ago I saw the 2017 scare fest map on eBay for £60! :-s
I better get all my maps out from the last decade or two and put them on eBay  :P
Dan

Tom170499 wrote:I’d love them to make a paper version of the app map. My favourite maps are the ones from 1998 - 2001. The had both aesthetics and practicality. Below is the 1999 map: 

I agree! Those maps are the earliest ones I remember, I used to love bringing one home from a trip to the park and could spend hours just looking at it.

This map on the other hand.....

I know some people aren’t too impressed with the designs of recent years but at least they’re nothing like this abomination from 2006.
Justin

I remember that one. I like the style but it is hugely inaccurate. It looks like they were going for a computer game theme.
AltonOperator

If its accuracy you're looking for then check out 1986:
Its before the whole East side of the park was built but it has pretty much every path in the park on it, including those in the gardens.
It also shows just how out of the way the rapids were before John Wardley turned them into a spectacle.
(Ayy! Its my 100th Post!)
Thanks Jack
S.J_O'Grady

I've always liked that map, purely because it's a good resource and really shows where everything used to be. Makes 4 Man Bob look a bit lonely.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Ladyofthelake

At the other end of the spectrum we have the 2005 map:

2005 was the year of my first ever visit to Towers and I remember looking at this map before I went and it making me think that the park wasn't that big and I'd easily be able to walk around. Once there I found it difficult to use the map to work out where anything was. I also remember wanting to get from what was then Ug Land to Forbidden Valley, looking at the map and thinking "it only looks a very short walk across the gardens. That will be a nice short cut". Oh how wrong I was :lol Little did I realise at the time that not only was The Gardens the long route, but it was also easy to get lost (which with my awful sense of direction I duly did get lost). Almost an hour later I finally got to Forbidden Valley! Since then I've never really trusted the park maps to judge the distance between attractions!
TheBeornen

I like the current style of maps but last year's did feel quite empty, mostly due to the large bit showing SW8 construction and that causing there to be quite a long path between MB and GW.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Dom

Wow. These old maps are so retro. Love it. I will have to go diving into my little box to see the other maps I have!
Justin

I need to do the same :) I'm not sure which ones I have got?!?
Luce

I love how on the map fronm 1986 it even makes a reference to little things like the leapfrog fountains and some dinosaurs :)

I didn't like the 2005/06 maps either and not a patch on the newer ones like last years which I think are a nicer thing to look at, especially if like me you try and keep the maps from every year and save them as mementoes :)
Nutty Man

I keep them... but only go to AT every 2 years (:() so have to buy them off eBay. I also have a box filled with them, and sometimes gaze at them when I'm bored... I feel I have an obsession with them.