Rita - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

vikkimoo wrote:6 footer here and I love it! The only discomfort I've ever got from it is that the first time I went on it, I got massive bruises on the back of my arms (triceps area) from holding on so tight at the launch...

Sadly I can see it being the first of the big 6 to be removed :(
Where do you sit on it?

I tend to find the rear of each car a struggle as my knees and feet are in such an uncomfortable position. The front tends to be better as there is a bigger gap.

I must agree with you, Jack. It is not a ride that I'd spend long queuing for.
Wagstaff04

The launch on Rita is amazing, but the rest of the ride is kinda underwhelming and pretty rough. 
Steff15

This ride is so rickety! I don’t remember it ever being as bad as it is now. I’ve ridden twice this season and it’s been twice too many! (Different guests accompanying me who wanted to ride. I’m too nice!)

I came off the first time feeling like I’d been put through a blender and the second time my head bounced around so much I felt quite ill afterwards and my bones hurt.

I always loved the launch it’s an amazing feeling but it’s far from the smoothest ride in the world.

However the queue times suggest it’s still very popular even the RAP line meant a 30 minute wait! (Ok so they were only running one car so maybe that was the problem!)

I don’t know. I think I’d like to see it replaced with a faster and smoother multi-launch coaster! That would be awesome!
Liam.W

I had a ride earlier and it was pretty smooth, and it has been since the backend of last season
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Steff15

Odd as the second time was only Thursday for me. It wasn’t just rickety it was painful. I’m taking a friend who’s never been next week and will surely be subjected to it again. (I can’t say no!) maybe I’ll have a different view then. I’ll come back and let you know! Lol!
Jakethepeg

Havent rode Rita since the first couple of times I visited. It’s usually the worst queue to be in, seems to take forever! But when is the best time to visit Rita, is she quicker to ride first thing in the morning or is she a late last ride of the night kind of gal?
Robert.W

I'll admit, I've only ever done Rita a few times, but every time I've ridden it, it hasn't been particularly rough at all, even if it isn't the smoothest of coasters! My main issue with Rita is that the layout is incredibly dull, and really doesn't do an awful lot. It fills a gap in the lineup at least, but they really would be best removing it to building a new, more creative launch coaster in its place.
Last edited by Robert.W on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steff15

Since Liam.W mentioned it I’ve been wondering if it has anything to do with sitting right in the back. I get RAP and the rule on Rita is you have to sit in the last row no exceptions. The only other thing I could think of is my tiny tiny frame being thrown around too much.

Have to agree the track is a little dull. I got to ride it the year it opened and I loved it but the love didn’t last for me. Would be so cool to have a multi launch with something more in the track.
Liam.W

It's nothing to do with sitting at the back, my ride yesterday was on the back row and I've had rides near the front too this season and all haven't been that rough. 
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Steff15

Well I’m at a loss then! Haha! I’d just been trying to figure out how we’d had such different experiences days apart and thought that being at the back could have been a possibility obviously not now. No more ideas I’m afraid lol!
TheDuke

I've never had a rough ride on Rita but I agree that its through put seems very low as queuing seems to take ages everytime. I've never heard the height issue come up I'm 189cm (touch below 6'3) and I've never had any issues.
Steff15

The through put was terrible but they were only running one car. (I think usually two but I may be wrong) loading and unloading taking longer than the actual ride haha. I don’t know about height but height and weight combined maybe. I’m 5ft3 but 7st6 so there isn’t much of me. Who knows! Haha! All I know is my head was bounced around like crazy and it was quite painful. I’ll see about riding when we’re there Thursday and pay more attention to what I’m feeling to see and report back haha!
TheDuke

Steff15 wrote:I’m 5ft3 but 7st6 so there isn’t much of me.
I've found if you're not as tall it can be worse (my head tends to be above most restraints) as my girlfriend whos probably 5ft7 got fairly rattled on Blue Trnado in Gardaland.
Steff15

I have news! Hahaha joking! In all seriousness I rode again today and can confirm that Rita is as smooth as a baby’s bum... if after the initial launch I pop my head forward so it doesn’t bounce against the restraint. I popped my head back at one point and boof, bang, wallop was literally what I felt but as soon as I popped my head forward back to smooth. Yes I managed to figure that out in less than 30 seconds. Sadly holding my head forward was tough even though the force of the launch had passed so it hasn’t improved the ride for me but if I ride in the future at least I know how to avoid feeling like I’m in a blender and get some enjoyments and less pain!
Justin

The height of guests is also a topic of conversation with Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park. I'm 6ft 1 and I have no issue with Saw usually, nor Rita, but I know of those who are smaller, some only slightly, who have a completely different experience.
Ryan.B

I'm 5"8 and the big one at Blackpool towards the end of the train is a squeeze, as is Colossus, the SLCs tend to get better the taller you are though. The only ride I've had an issue on at Towers was Thirteen. I'm not sure why it is (foot room?) but I can never get comfy on it.
Steff15

Looks like it may be a height thing then. Curse my shortness. Haha!
Wagstaff04

That makes sense. I’m 4”9’ and Rita was very rough for me. 
jackf1tz

I'm 6"2' and the only one I've had a problem with is RMT, but then again I might not be its target audience.
vikkimoo

EVERYONE is the target audience for RMT!

Although those of us with generous bottoms do have a bit of a squeeze :lol