Rita - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Inferno Attractions

Hi

I have been to Alton Towers many times and absolutely love going on the big rides.
However there is only one ride that terrifies me and I refuse to go on Rita!!!

I have never been on a launch coaster before and I really want to pluck up the courage to go on one.
What is Rita like? Is it a good first launch coaster to go on? Is it any good?  :D

Thanks
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
lf2001

Rita is a great ride! Gives you a great thrill and is very exciting. However dont put your head forward otherwise you will bang it against the seat all the way through, and it hurts!
BenBowser

Trust me, launch coasters arnet as bad as they look, in fact, I'd argue Rita is quite dull. Although coming from someone a whose favroite coaster is the fastest coaster on earth, I would say that. :P But either way, launch coasters are very fun, and intense. Whilst they are a little scary, but not nearly as intense as the likes of Oblivion and The Smiler.

As for a first time launch coaster I have no idea, as mine was Space Mountain: Mission 2, but I would think Rita is a good place to start. As for its actually layout, other than the first hill and the launch, its rather dull, but still exciting. :D

I hope this helps. :)
Danny

It's a brilliant ride! Definitely a good first launch coaster to go on as it's not to fast or tall. The thrill is totally different but exhilarating :)
NickiFan

Rita was my first launch coaster..

Firstly, before launch push your head back. during launch it feels very strange, after that all I can really say is it is a little rough but nothing too bad. The row packs much more of a kick in the stomach feeling during launch so for first time I'd try and avoid that.
Jack

don't think about it and it will all be fine, it isn't the most powerful launch, but is still brilliant :)
NemeJaney

The launch is quite fun and I would recommend the front row so you feel more like you're whizzing forward freely, rather than just shaking around with the view of the back of the seat infront(well, I suppose that depends if you're as short as me or not). As for the rest of the ride, just try to brace yourself, because it can be painfully head-bangy if you aren't prepared! Once you've been on it a few times, you'll get used to it all and it'll just feel as mild as going for a walk.
Good luck and happy riding!
Dom

The launch does take your breath away in a good way the first time you ride Rita. But as long as you keep your head against the seat and I would also suggest keeping arms down first go, then it will be fine. Once you get off you will be buzzing.
Last edited by Dom on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

To be honest where you sit isn't too bad. The back row of each car is raised meaning you can see over anyway :)
Last edited by Danny on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCFCjames

Very short!.....

But seriously it is a really good adrenalin fix. It's a good launch coaster to start with because it's not one of the fastest. So yeah go for it and have fun!  :D
DeanGaryCox

Oblivion has a higher top speed than Rita... just think about that.
Image 2014
Inferno Attractions

DeanGaryCox wrote: Oblivion has a higher top speed than Rita... just think about that.
Yeah but Rita has the highest G-force

By the way thanks for the feedback. It really helped
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
fizzo

Just do it!!!  You won't regret it!
Luviico

I must say it isn't my favourite but the launch is enjoyable! the rest of the ride however is short and incredibly uncomfortable if you aren't prepared properly in the seat. It is indeed a head banger and the restraints aren't the comfiest. I've only been on once and I found myself gritting my teeth the whole way through.
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig
DeanGaryCox

I really enjoy the ride layout considering the lack of height... although it could be longer.

The launch is something you can't describe, besides it's not gonna kill you, or scare you from every ride in existence... so might as well give it a try, you'll either love it and ride it time and time again, hate it and say okay won't go on it again, or think it's alright and may give it another go.
Image 2014
Danny

Oblivion may be faster, however Rita has the fastest acceleration so feels faster
Georgie

Rita was the only one from the big 6 I missed in my 1st and so far only trip last summer.  Partly because my leg was grazed after an incident by Hex but mostly because Stealth had really put me off launched coasters.  I'm now left wondering if it would have been worth trying out anyway?
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
LCFCjames

When you get used to Rita it is one of the best rides for the on ride photo. Trying to hold a funny pose for the camera while been launched at 100 kmh is pretty challenging and often results in some funny pictures! :lol: Make sure to give it a go when you've been on it a few times
bensaund

GThing64 wrote: Rita was the only one from the big 6 I missed in my 1st and so far only trip last summer.  Partly because my leg was grazed after an incident by Hex but mostly because Stealth had really put me off launched coasters.  I'm now left wondering if it would have been worth trying out anyway?
I have to say once you have done Stealth, Rita is rather dull IMO.

But if Rita is the first launch coaster you have been on, then you will enjoy it, you really have to give it a go.
Most people have a fear, for many it is the though of going upside down for the first time (Rita doesn't do this), going too high (You won't go high), you won't get wet and it will be over very quickly.

For me the only reason I don't do the ride is because the queue is always too long.
If you go down to the woods today
Kirsty25

Rita's fine - the first corner after the launch as long as you brace for it, is fine, the G-Forces are fairly short lived. I like it but its not worth a 45 min queue :P