2017: New Attractions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Liam.W

In the talk at Sizzler, all they mentioned about 2017 is the cbeebies land attraction.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dan

I believe that all we'll see in 2017 is the new attraction in CBeebies Land as well as some of the attractions closed for TLC under a "New and Improved" banner.
Themeparksandy1981

The Sky Sailor wrote:I thought i was getting a flat ride the park desperately needs, but no, it's the return of Bouncing Bugs!!

Looking at the shape of the cars we can see from the plans, my best guess is that it will be a Go Jetters ride.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/go-jetters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes it's been confirmed that the new ride is like the flying Jumbos at chessington but themed to the Go Jetters Vroomsters.
xylyx

Just hope it doesn't play that bleeding theme tune.....Gah it's stuck in my head even now :S
Sawboss

What other flat rides would people want to see at Towers? I've heard people mention a topscan or a suspended topspin, but I wondered what others are out there since I don't know much about flat rides.

I would love to see a suspended topspin, looks really fun and could be done as a successor to Ripsaw or with a brand new name somewhere else in the park themed enough to differentiate it. Depends wether Towers think it would attract more people eager to ride ripsaws replacement than would be put off at just having a really similar ride put up.
Liam.W

I would love to see something like an Intamin Gyro Swing, although I don't think Alton's planning issues would allow for one!

vikkimoo

I don't know what you call this design of ride but I LOVE them, it would be great to get one at AT! Plus it's a good middling ride for the too old for CBeebies kids.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/2012/08/08 ... scrambler/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam.W

vikkimoo wrote:I don't know what you call this design of ride but I LOVE them, it would be great to get one at AT! Plus it's a good middling ride for the too old for CBeebies kids.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/2012/08/08 ... scrambler/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So you mean the type of ride that is found at most fairgrounds in the UK? Nah thanks...

S.J_O'Grady

Scramblers are a bit old fashioned. I've always liked the look of a suspended polyp ride, not that I've ever been on one though.

EDIT: Here's a video " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
xylyx

That does look good, i'd ride that into the floor. I'd love something unique, or something there aren't many of, like an air race or whatnot. In fact that would be spot on add it's quite intense and the footprint is miniscule. :)
Azi889

I think it's just going to be the ceebeebies ride for 2017, especially with all the sw8 work ongoing. However I would love to see a new flat in The Dark Forest area where the swings area used to be. Remember those visuals when the Dark forest first arrived showing heavily themed branch arms aswell as Thirteen. I feel it would make the area a stronger theme and back story other than the Rita re-theme which I never 100% bought into
Michelle

S.J_O'Grady wrote:Scramblers are a bit old fashioned. I've always liked the look of a suspended polyp ride, not that I've ever been on one though.

EDIT: Here's a video " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the look of that. I'd like a flat like that at Alton, there is a similar (ish, I think) ride at Liseberg which is a good laugh.
lkav1983

Been thorpe park for the 1st time today, with the log flume making way for sw8 id love see something similar to tidal wave. The kids loved it and loved getting soaked watching others on it too.
Burniel

It's not quite as simple as that. No park can simply add any ride they want just because it looks cool. There are many problems with the idea of a Tidal Wave style attraction opening at the resort, especially for 2017.

For one, the resort is currently investing quite a lot as it is. A new hotel, new small attractions and ongoing TLC all add up and with SW8 just around the corner, I doubt we'll be hearing of any notable new additions for some time.

Furthermore, there is simply not the demand for such a soaker of a ride. The UK doesn't have good enough weather to make a large water ride something the general public want to ride on an average day. Even Tidal Wave, which operates in the slightly warmer south, can rarely be seen at over a five to ten minute queue (except on very hot days). Indeed, this was one of the reasons behind The Flume's removal. Space is also an issue - where would this type of ride fit in terms of space and theme?

Then there's the fact that these rides require height to generate such a thrilling ride and large splash. Tidal Wave stands at 85ft, which exceeds Alton Towers' maximum height, so a ride like this would not be nearly as big as Tidal Wave and would often be compared unfavourably to it.

As such, I do not think a Tidal Wave style ride or similar could realistically be on the cards for Towers. Whilst it would be nice to see a replacement for The Flume someday, I feel that any new water ride should come in the form of a water coaster such as Poseidon (on which the level of wetness can be altered depending on the current climate) rather than something so wet.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
stealthsmiler

Whilst I agree that Alton Towers couldnt have a Tidal Wave style ride due to height, saying there isnt the demand for soaking water rides isnt all that true.
For a start there was a lot of people complaining when the Flume was removed as having a log flume type ride is seen as a must at any theme park, so a new water ride would fill that void.
Also the level of wetness isnt really a problem with a lot of people if the ride is good enough that its worth getting wet. I went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on Wednesday where the weather was cold, miserable and rained for over three consecutive hours in the afternoon yet Valhalla had the longest queue on park from opening to close, we queued 45 minutes at one point for it. As anyone who's been on Valhalla knows, this ride gets you soaked yet that didnt put people off.

Because of that I think that Alton Towers needs a Valhalla style ride which is heavily themed. The reasons for this is:
- it would fill the gap in the water ride line up
- it doesnt need large drops therefore would fit within the height restrictions
- it is proven a popular ride type with Valhalla (the best water ride in the UK IMO)
- it would be a high quality well themed ride which Alton Towers needs.

(Yes I know we wouldnt get this for 2017)
theparklifekid

Maybe we will start seeing signs around Oblivion in late September reading "Don't Look Back in 2017"
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
stealthsmiler

^^^ I wish....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kemperink

5 years without no new rides is very poor
xylyx

They have had new rides, they've just been more family/child oriented sadly, and last year had extraordinary circumstances effectively writing off the season.

I would be surprised if they did a ride it backwards for oblivion, it hasn't lasted on the swarm and the whole point of oblivion is to see the drop at all times to ratchet up the tension.
dantheman

xylyx wrote:
I would be surprised if they did a ride it backwards for oblivion, it hasn't lasted on the swarm and the whole point of oblivion is to see the drop at all times to ratchet up the tension.
Yes, I would have to agree with you. While it would be very interesting and unique experience, I can't see it happening. Oblivion is very nerve-wrecking as it is! :lol

Plus, I just can't see them changing a ride this age, it would cost quite a bit (I presume) and in my opinion, the cost would not be justified in relation to the money they would receive in income as a result of this change, if you know what I mean.