2017: New Attractions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
S.J_O'Grady

Is it just me or do the queue lines look slightly too optimistically large?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Aidan Lowe

The Sky Sailor wrote:Is it just me or do the queue lines look slightly too optimistically large?
With the endless amount of hotels and lodges ATR is building no doubt more and more families will be staying over so very much predict for cBeebies to get even more and more popular as time progresses.

So with that in mind its probably best to over estimate and build accordingly.

While this in no way proves this is the sole thing coming in 2017 I will be shocked if it is. If the closures from this year open start of next season and have had extensive work done to them but this new ride is the sole thing to come then fair enough.

While its a beautiful setting Alton Towers for me personally is behind Thorpe Park, Drayton Manor and heck even Blackpool PB currently. To me its just in a dire state atm for someone who visits regularly that is.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Nathan_Fisher

I'm frustrated with the outcome of this planning application because as others have stated a major new flat ride would suit the park and it's also in need for one. I can see why they're expanding cbeebies again though, if a certain area of the park is attracting a high volume of guests then they need to expand to keep up with the demand.
Like I said, a major flat would be preferable but we have to put up with what the resort installs I guess.
Sawboss

I'm gonna hold out hope that another cbeebies ride isn't the only new addition next year, I admit I'll be pretty disappointed if it is.
They desperately need more thrills, I'm taking people for Scarefest and if it wasn't for the mazes and things I'd actually be worried we'll run out of things to do. To be honest I still am a bit.
Count-Vonduel

Merlin are surely taking the mick at this point, like we are finally getting the woodie...when ANOTHER coaster is the absolute last thing AT needs right now. We are getting 3 years of major refurbishment but it's being used to justify and excuse frankly damning budget cuts, we are getting more focus on themed experiences but it's almost entirely VR or simply SBNO and we are finally getting new flat rides...in Cbeebies land...

Also does anyone know if the new show venue will be replacing Big Fun Show Time or in addition because if it's the latter then that does not bode well for the pirate show.
Last edited by Danny on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of asterisks and SPG
xylyx

Looking at the plans is just down from Tree fu Tom, and is more likely to knock out Mr. Bloom's allotment. So it will be in addition to big fun time, which is insanely popular, whereas Mr. Bloom and tree fu Tom are a little out of the way and a little abandoned. I'm guessing they're working on getting more bods around that side of cbeebies land to spread everyone out a little better.

I'm not surprised, and it so be nice to have something else to go on with my girls but I would have preferred something more thrilling personally. Still, as they say, better to light a candle than curse the darkness so I'll be intrigued with what they do.
Burniel

I'm sure it's an excellent investment for younger guests, but there are so many other areas of the park that need development far more than CBeebies Land.

I hope this isn't the only addition for 2017.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
S.J_O'Grady

The thrill areas of the park are falling behind slowly (as well as CCL)

X-Sector's theme is no longer solid and clear and I think should be built upon, it also needs a new flat ride to fill in the massive unoccupied space at the bottom end.

Forbidden Valley is a disaster (other than Nemmy), Ripsaw site needs a new flat, and Sub-Terra which is an important part of the areas theme is closed. The Blade clearly doesn't have much longer left either.

Likewise, although Dark Forest has never had a flat, it needs one. As Festival Park or Ug Land it was flat ride central and now it has none.

Alton needs to invest in the thrill market next year. With the arrival of SW8, then they can focus on CBeebies and other children's areas. When you compare AT to Drayton or Thorpe, the thrill lineup just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Count-Vonduel

Think Alton are starting to rely too much on Cbeebees Land? Admittedly Cbeebees Land is quite good but their main market is not under 5's and right now literally everywhere outside of beebes land is just an utter mess, with Katanga and Gloomy Wood honestly feeling the most fresh, and with the BBC contemplating making beebes online only, the beebes bubble WILL burst, and when it does, will AT have enough other stuff to carry it? Because at the moment if they were to completely shut down Cbeebees Land right now, then I personally think they would have an extremely hard time coping for the rest of the year.
theparklifekid

So far, do we think that this maybe the only new attraction for next year?

Im hoping not, I'd like another flat to take care of thrill seekers.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Themeparksandy1981

I went to Alton Towers with my 4 year old yesterday so ended up spending a good full 3 hours in CBeebies you should have seen her face how happy she was on the rides and meeting the stars of the shows. I can understand them wanting to build a indoor entertainment area as with the rain yesterday afternoon the show in the big fun tent was quite empty. I wish I took a pic of it now but between Tree fu Tom and the arena is a boarded up area so I guess that's where the open ride is planned for?
Owen

Yes, the new attraction is planned to go inbetween Tree Fu Tom Training Camp and the event area. :)
stealthsmiler

Merlin cannot touch Katanga Canyon. It's the one area in the park that's perfect the way it is. Whilst I would have preferred a thrilling flat ride to fill the biggest hole in Altons line up, the fact it's a CL addition doesn't bother me too much. Firstly it's a low investment meaning the larger investments will hopefully be spent on the thrill side. And secondly we are getting SW8 the year after so it's not like the thrill line up isn't getting any additions. Plus the TLC rides will be reopening. Although I do wonder if this could be like the Disney situation and more rides could close for refurb next year when these reopen.

If I had to choose where a new thrill flat would go it would have to be x sector or dark forest. Forbidden Valley needs a lot more than just a new flat, it needs a complete overhaul, something they should have done instead of SW8 IMO. Then marketed as a new area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
70s_kid

The Sky Sailor wrote:When you compare AT to Drayton or Thorpe, the thrill lineup just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
Drayton Manor next weekend then?
xylyx

We were there yesterday, had a fantastic day :D

I am intrigued to see what the ride is, it looks like there is enough space being utilised to move the crowds around to that side of cbeebiesland spreading everyone out which will hopefully it a more pleasant place to navigate.

Looking forward to SW8 and it would be nice if some hefty funds are thrown at it to get some good themeing, a la Taron....etc

However I would love something more than just the revamped TLC rides and the cbeebies expansion. Even the much touted thrilling flat.
Nickolai

Charlie's Building looks like nothing is happening. Do you think anything will open in the building or in the area if it is demolished for 2017?
Formally Smiler313
Burniel

Smiler313 wrote:Charlie's Building looks like nothing is happening. Do you think anything will open in the building or in the area if it is demolished for 2017?
If anything good were to open in 2017, I would have expected work to have started by now (unless we just haven't seen it), so I'd bet on it being started on in 2017 or after.

Personally, I can see the building being SBNO for a few years in preparation for something to open after SW8.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Alex

Smiler313 wrote:Charlie's Building looks like nothing is happening. Do you think anything will open in the building or in the area if it is demolished for 2017?
The Charlie IP ran out last year, they renewed it for one more season so they could open it if they wanted to however I would suspect that would be based on if the park is busy over the summer and the demand dictates that it's necessary.
dazza4783

Alex wrote:
The Charlie IP ran out last year, they renewed it for one more season so they could open it if they wanted to however I would suspect that would be based on if the park is busy over the summer and the demand dictates that it's necessary.
If Charlie is closing then maybe they should put Charlie's lifts in sub-terra, and make videos to suit that ride. The second lift might be a bit better with the movement you get on those lifts, along with a video of the nemesis monster attacking the lift. Doubt there is enough room in there for them though, but would be good if they could.
theparklifekid

MakoMania wrote:What I want:

New flat ride in Dark Forest
Some sort of small new attraction in CBeebies Land
New Pirate Show
New exhibit in Sharkbait Reef

What I think we'll get:

New small attraction in CBeebies Land
Wow, MakoManias prediction was actually correct! :lol

But at the same time I am quite hopeful that this may not be the only new addition, because you can't really have a small flat be the cover of your map, I know that CBeebies is popular for families, but thrill seekers haven't had anything since 2013.

Don't suppose they talked about 2017 in the sizzler?
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!