2017: New Attractions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
pleaty

Bring back Doom & Sons (most of you will be too young to remember), extend it into the Charlie building and have a haunted house style boatride..... Doom and Sons really freaked me out when I was a kid.... Before anyone says anything I know this is stupid but would love something to be done with that building, I have fond memories of Around the World in 80 Days. Geeez Im showing my age now.
S.J_O'Grady

pleaty wrote:Bring back Doom & Sons (most of you will be too young to remember), extend it into the Charlie building and have a haunted house style boatride..... Doom and Sons really freaked me out when I was a kid.... Before anyone says anything I know this is stupid but would love something to be done with that building, I have fond memories of Around the World in 80 Days. Geeez Im showing my age now.
Trouble is, they already have their haunted house, and retheming what is currently a children's land to a horror theme is a big step and a big task! Plus they already have two spooky themed areas. But yes, I've always liked the look of Doom & Sons!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
archie.mm

The Sky Sailor wrote:
pleaty wrote:Bring back Doom & Sons (most of you will be too young to remember), extend it into the Charlie building and have a haunted house style boatride..... Doom and Sons really freaked me out when I was a kid.... Before anyone says anything I know this is stupid but would love something to be done with that building, I have fond memories of Around the World in 80 Days. Geeez Im showing my age now.
Trouble is, they already have their haunted house, and retheming what is currently a children's land to a horror theme is a big step and a big task! Plus they already have two spooky themed areas. But yes, I've always liked the look of Doom & Sons!
I am too young and wasn't fortunate enough to ride it. What happened inside? Where was it?
S.J_O'Grady

http://www.towersalmanac.com/areas/rides.php?id=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Dom

I never got to experience Doom & Sons, but it does sound pretty awesome. But, As mentioned above, its unlikely that they will return it. But I would love it if they brought it back for Scarefest and turned its concept and idea into a horror maze. However back on topic, I do hope that the new ride is a much needed flat ride. Dark Forest in particular is in need of one. And I hope its a flat ride I can actually ride (Although highly doubtful as most flat rides are spinners). I think Merlin are beginning to understand that theming is as important as the ride itself, so hopefully we will something that will be both a good, fun ride as well as being quite well themed.
theparklifekid

Maybe I should suggest to the park to make Doom and Sons a feature for scarefest this year :lol

But Im hoping for a flat ride in the Dark forest or a motion based 3D dark ride as I think it could be a good fit.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Zach

theparklifekid wrote:Maybe I should suggest to the park to make Doom and Sons a feature for scarefest this year :lol

But Im hoping for a flat ride in the Dark forest or a motion based 3D dark ride as I think it could be a good fit.
Scarefest events are worked 1/2 years in advance almost with ideas and a general direction decided many months before so suggesting that now would be pointless as you wouldn't see it this year :)

I think the best hope we have for 2017 is perhaps a flat ride and a new addition to CBeebies land, with perhaps entertainments returning slowly and perhaps only in peak periods :)
jack030894

Duel is in desperate need of a retheme... I think merlin need to get the sponsorship of Ghostbusters and turn duel into a Ghostbusters shooting ride! It would be amazing! :D
Owen

Merlin are already partnered with Ghostbusters, with Madame Tussaud's New York installing an amazing VR experience. There's also quite a large amount of Ghostbusters merchandise around the resort.

I could see this working well if the resort kept the Haunted House's story line and add the Ghostbusters over the top as opossed to the other way around.

I don't see this happening just yet as it would probably be quite a major refurbishment if they were to do it right, but I wouldn't say it's impossible, especially seeing the very positive reviews from the new movie so far. :)
theparklifekid

I doubt that Ghostbusters will come to a Merlin park as a Shooting ride, as MotionGate Studios in Dubai will be opening "GhostBusters: Battle for New York" which is a shooting ride, later this year.

If a new attraction does happen, I think it will be an Original IP.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Adam.W

Isn't 2017 the high investment year? If so, then the high investment is most likely SW8, because coming to think about it, none of the actual construction is done in 2018, just the ride opening :)

We could also see a flat + redevelopment of CATCF on top of this next year, so it could well be part of the high investment.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Adam.W wrote:Isn't 2017 the high investment year? If so, then the high investment is most likely SW8, because coming to think about it, none of the actual construction is done in 2018, just the ride opening :)
It would have been, but it was pushed back a year following the events of last year. The date corresponds to the year the development opens.
S.J_O'Grady

Rather disappointed to see that the latest plans submitted are CBeebies related, I can't get excited about CBeebies I'm afraid :(
dazza4783

A kids flat ride and a family entertainment building. The family entertainment building has a queue line outside so not sure what could be inside there.
S.J_O'Grady

I thought i was getting a flat ride the park desperately needs, but no, it's the return of Bouncing Bugs!!

Looking at the shape of the cars we can see from the plans, my best guess is that it will be a Go Jetters ride.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/go-jetters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
Liam.W

Sorry to dampen the mood on a new attraction, but as soon as I looked at the plans and noticed it was in Cbeebies Land I couldn't help but shout "OH FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!"

I am not happy they are expanding Cbeebies Land AGAIN. I can sort of see why Alton would do it from a business point of view (attracting younger visitors) but they need to get something new for the thrill seekers too!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Jack

I'm quite happy to see a low investment year if I'm honest, it could work wonders for the rest of the park as, ideally, they can put more into it's upkeep :)
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes News now has full details on the proposed CBeebies addition.

I do have to say that it does look like another nice addition for this area of the park. CBeebies has been doing very well for the Resort so it does make sense that they would want to keep the momentum going in this area. It's also good to see that there will be more new characters for the area as this will encourage return visits from families that may have visited in the area's first or second season.

Having said that, I can see that another CBeebies Land expansion will be frustrating for those people who would prefer a more thrilling flat ride to be added to the park. It would be good to see a new flat added for the thrill market as with the loss of Ripsaw the Resort does need to fill this gap.
dazza4783

Just because this planning application is for a kids ride doesn't mean there won't also be any other additions for thrill seekers. If X-Sector is in the GDO area then Submission's replacement will not need a planning application. And did they need planning permission to remove Ripsaw?
I wouldn't give up hope just yet.
Adam.W

From what I've heard, CBeebies is really taking a hit with the younger families, so I think it's money well spent - especially since the crash, the ratio of families with children to thrill seekers/average families would have changed.

Regarding the 'entertainment building', it could be a(nother) meet and greet area, or perhaps a theatre/movie building much like ice age.