Ride Downtime

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan says hi

Doesn't look like it's been a great day around the park today as th13teen and Rita have both been done either most of the day or all day and I think Galactica and The Smiler have had a couple ofstoppages as well.
The heat must be getting to the rides :lol :lol
Robert.W

Hopefully they will have them all sorted out for later on today!

TheDuke

Seems like everything's running today.
Looking at a 0 minute queue on nemesis jealously
Count-Vonduel

There was a min of 2 broken rides at any one time today, with frog hopper of all things being down for the majority of the day!
Robert.W

Count-Vonduel wrote:There was a min of 2 broken rides at any one time today, with frog hopper of all things being down for the majority of the day!
I wonder is Frog Hopper was actually broken or if they are just closing it out of the blue whenever they feel like to cut costs?

Count-Vonduel

Since the major coasters seemed to be breaking down on preplanned timeslots almost, I began to suspect it was cost cutting too...I mean it IS Merlin...

Since the big 6 were being shutdown on shifts (assuming that was the case) I have to wonder if it was to minimize STRONG challenge winners?
MakoMania

The Merlin parks are for sure the worst for reliability out of any I have been to.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dan says hi

I know we dont't normally report on the smaller rides but go-Jetters has been shut since Friday afternoon. I presume a new part is needed for it?
Robert.W

It's been unreliable before. It is Gremandale's first spin around ride type so I guess problems can occur.

Dan says hi

Sorry, I seem to be posting on here a lot but it shows how bad the reliability has been recently. Today the go-Jetters (which has been closed for about a week and a half now), Th13teen, Rita and Spinball Whizzer were all closed for all day or most of the day. And it was all negative reviews on twitter too! The park needs to up their operations and quick!
Robert.W

That amount of rides out of action! Alton should offer half price tickets to come back any time to compensate. Imagine the dissapointment if you only came once or twice a year!

Aidan Lowe

It did seem to be a terrible day in general. I personally would never even dream of going to a theme park on a weekend in this heat with today also being Fathers Day. That in itself is a recipe for disappointment and it looks like Alton Towers got a bombardment of negative feedback.

I've come to expect it now from the rides at towers, they are by far some of the most unreliable in the country. But I have a MAP so don't let it bog my day down too much if I can't get on something but know some people only ever make a few trips if that a year. I'm only ever surprised when Nemesis is unavailable as she is just a beast :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
bensaund

I believe Thorpe is much worse for ride reliability. Every time I visit Thorpe, one of the main rides is always down and in most cases multiple rides are out of action. Towers does seem to be more consistent. Yes rides have to stop, but they generally are up and running quickly.

My main complaint about Towers would be the fact they always open the Skyride way after the park has opened, never have I got the Skyride to FV before 10:30
Robert.W

I'll be honest and say that I have never experienced any days where many ride are shut at Alton Towers. The biggest rides that were shut was when we visited just after the Smiler crash. Apart from that, I've seen a few problems with Spinball. The stuff reported on this forum about unreliability seems terrible though. I think the case with Alton is that they sometimes just have bad days I guess.

Nickolai

The biggest issue I have personally seen from my visits is Rita. Quite a few times that has been down for most of the day. Do heat have much to do with the downtimes of rides?
Formally Smiler313
Robert.W

I'd imagine that heat would have some effect on operations of rollercoasters and rides, but nothing to actually break the ride though.

Dan says hi

It seems that the Go-Jetters has now reopened but Galactica is still closed.
Robert.W

I wonder how long The Smiler will now be shut for after today's breakdown?

Alex

Smiler313 wrote:The biggest issue I have personally seen from my visits is Rita. Quite a few times that has been down for most of the day. Do heat have much to do with the downtimes of rides?
I don't think it's a particularly relevant point for the UK, rides seem to run fine in much hotter climates like America, Australia and the UAE. The cold can affect the rides though especially the launch coasters.
Tom170499

Does anyone know why Galactica is down? With it being closed for so long I'd imagine it needs a replacement part or something like that but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone here actually knew. Hoping it will be open for next week but it isn't looking likely :(