Alton Towers Stargazing Pods

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Theme Park Worldwide have posted a small construction update today, showing the progress on the facilities building and that the areas surrounding the placed pods have been turfed, with saplings added along with lamppost fixtures.

Dan

As posted on TowersTimes social media; With just over 2 months to go until The Alton Towers Stargazing Pods welcome their first guests, construction is continuing to progress well.

The majority of the pods have now been installed, and the facilities block appears to be almost complete with it now awaiting its exterior cladding. Landscaping is in progress with several areas having turf laid, and a bank having been constructed along the edge of the development next to the road. A number of young trees have also been planted.

Elsewhere on the Resort, the Entrance Plaza Monorail Station has received a re-paint, with it now featuring a bright green colour scheme.

DeadJack5

Seeing the site a few weeks ago, it doesn't look appealing in the slightest. I stuck up for the idea as it would appeal to the market of families who often go camping, I can say from experience that there is a market for this.

But having the prices, the pods being installed and seeing it for myself, I don't like them. I've said it before and I'll stick to it, I would try this for 1 stay but honestly having it all presented in reality, they aren't that nice. I guess we will see how popular they are in the new season but for me, it's a no.

It's a shame as we already have enough accommodation on site and it's never like the hotels are all fully booked (unless you are going for a special event where the park is at capacity). The money that has gone into this project could have gone into something more worth while in the park itself.
Justin

It is still a firm no for me. They just don't appeal to me, therefore I won't be staying.

If individuals decide they want to trek across a field to go to the toilets, then great! To me, it is a shame that Alton didn't extend Enchanted Village.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I guess this is about as exciting as developments get with these, but a discharge of conditions application for the Stargazing Pods has given a bit more insight into the entrance feature. It looks to be an archway which takes inspiration from the roofs of the Enchanted Village's Woodland Lodge's, that includes a back-lit Stargazing Pods logo:

Dan

As reported by TowersTimes social media; With just over 1 month to go until the Alton Towers Stargazing Pods open to the public, construction on the Resort's latest accommodation offering is entering its final stages.

With all of the pods now in position, work on the landscaping and scenery of the area is taking place ahead of the official launch on April 12th. The exterior of the facilities block is nearing completion, with theming being added to the exterior of the cladded building. In the centre of the development, telescopes have been installed.

Elsewhere on the site, the Enchanted TiPi has returned to its original location, having been located in the Splash Landings Hotel car park over the festive season, and the entrance archway to the Stargazing Pods area is now in place.

Credit to DeadJack5 for the photos.

wamdue

these things had better be a damm sight cheaper than the hotel if they dont have Indoor plumbing
ProfBurp

wamdue wrote:these things had better be a damm sight cheaper than the hotel if they dont have Indoor plumbing
Well currently most dates they are only sightly cheaper...for £20 more I would much rather be in a proper hotel or the lodges. I think the price point is way too high, I can see them needing to do a sale on these as I don't think they are going to sell anywhere near as well as I think they are hoping!
wamdue

Dont get me wrong, if you are a couple. and its nice weather, these would be a cheaper option. However if its wet, if you have a child, I just dont see people opting for the hassle of outdoor plumbing.

Honestly could they not jsut put some serious decoration on the Thorpe Park Shark idea.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This Tuesday’s special ‘Meet the Maker’ event, to which TowersTimes was invited, also saw a preview of the Resort’s latest accommodation offering – Alton Towers Stargazing Pods.

TowersTimes News explores the latest details to be revealed, with photos from within the site itself and inside the Pods.

Dan

Now the area is almost finished in terms of turf being laid and finishes touches being added, this development looks slightly better than I originally thought it would.

I still can’t see myself spending the night in one though, not unless, by some miracle, Pods for £20 a night suddenly become a thing.
Nickolai

If the pods were reasonably cheap, such as £20 then I would see this as a great investment as cheap accommodation however this is just poor in my eyes regarding the expensive pricing. I can see the price slowing lowering if no one books to use them.
Formally Smiler313
Bert

I reckon the prices are so high this season is because of the whole supply/demand thing that comes with new accommodation, I’d imagine the prices will be lower in the long term, I believe EV and CBeebies land hotel had price drops in the second season.
[Insert Signature Here]
Adz
Admin
Admin

I would hope the prices come down as the quality of the product just isn’t that high. There’s a lot of niggles like the lack of pathways to each pod, surely a delight when it’s raining and you need a wee, plus the absolute lack of any space to store anything. Even the coat rack covers the light switch.

Annoyingly they are currently selling. We can tell because the prices on the website reflect “demand” and the more that sell the higher the prices will go. The real test will be guest feedback once open as I’m not entirely sure people know what they’re getting and all the compromises that go with it. We may see a change in wording/marketing and a price change off the back of that to bring it inline with the reality of the product.
Justin

Do you think people will make the effort to go to the toilet in the block? I really hope it doesn't happen, but if drunk (or even sober) guests need the toilet, then they may decide to go elsewhere... let's say up the side! Those with young children may struggle too!

Not for me I'm afraid!
Swarm Chris

For me, these are the scariest additions to any of the Merlin theme parks ever.
Ladyofthelake

Having been able to take a look at these on Tuesday I have to say they are better than I was expecting. I genuinely like the idea of having the 'Village Green' in the centre of the site, and I love the Tipi and feel that in summer the Tipi will be a really nice venue for people staying in both the Pods and Lodges. Yes, there are things which are less than perfect - not having individual paths to each pod being one of them, but I think they do have a place within the Resort's accommodation portfolio.

The Stargazing Pods will not appeal to a lot of people in here, however, there will be a significant audience who they do appeal to - mainly those who would also consider the Glamping at Warwick Castle or Chessington World of Adventures as they have a similar set up with having the separate facilities block. In terms of price, the Stargazing Pods are coming out cheaper than Chessington's Glamping. I searched for a family of 2 adults and 2 children on Saturday 24th May on a B&B basis and got a price of £133 for a pod at Alton and a price of £189 for a Glamping tent at Chessington. It'll be interesting to see how busy the pods are through the season, but I think they'll do better than a lot of people think.
MakoMania

Obviously these pods won't be for everyone, I think they look alright.

The problem is that the product does not match the price. You can stay in good hotels for this kind of money.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

In a surprise turn of events, this article suggests that they will be installing (fake) windows in the roofs of the pods after all:
In addition, 'fake windows' are being installed in the ceilings so families can enjoy constellations inspired by the theme park and see them come alive with a special phone app.
Given that this is the first time this feature has been mentioned, it does seem to have been an after-thought, which has come as a response to the criticism of there being a lack of windows in the pods that would actually allow you to stargaze from them.

Regardless, you'd have thought they'd give a more flattering name to the press than "fake windows".
wamdue

lewis97 wrote:In a surprise turn of events, this article suggests that they will be installing (fake) windows in the roofs of the pods after all:
In addition, 'fake windows' are being installed in the ceilings so families can enjoy constellations inspired by the theme park and see them come alive with a special phone app.
Given that this is the first time this feature has been mentioned, it does seem to have been an after-thought, which has come as a response to the criticism of there being a lack of windows in the pods that would actually allow you to stargaze from them.

Regardless, you'd have thought they'd give a more flattering name to the press than "fake windows".
"Fake windows" " Constellations inspired by the theme park". This is worse than Brex... ok its not that bad, but this isn't looking great, a poor choice of name has created a problem here, and it's too late to back out it would seem.