Towers Loving Care

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Martin.C

Brilliant. I guess this now confirms Hex will be down for an unspecified amount of time......

Out of every ride Alton chose to close, why did it have to be Hex? Whilst it might not be as popular as other family rides in the park, it sure is one of the best and I can't understand why does Hex out of all rides under TLC need attention first? Granted, it isn't working perfectly but it shouldn't take longer than a closed season to fix it unless there's a severe problem with the attraction.
Aidan Lowe

If it is mechanical issues then Hex of all rides is probably one of the most problematic to sort due to the way it was built.

We won't know exact details for some time but it did have issues towards the end of last season, Ripsaw also had its issues throughout too so I'm presuming the decision on Hex is to do with that also, and any rectification could take a lengthy period.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Martin.C

Mechanical issue? I wasn't aware Hex had issues to do with that from last year until now.

Is it to do with the parking issue that's been surrounding the ride for the past few years? I didn't know that was a big issue with the attraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owenrita121

Hex was down more than it was open towards the end of the season, it's good to see the park fixing it and not just leaving it to get gradually worse and worse.
I do agree if anymore rides are closed for refurbishment it's taking the you know what a bit, with parks like Disney, Efteling, ect I can understand rides being down for maintenance, but Alton is closed for just under 5 months!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Luviico

So this rumour and the ripsaw rumour have turned out to be true, do you think we can expect the others to be too? Looking at the website it is only Hex's page that states it will be shut due to the TLC programme so far. Surely they would of updated the others at the same time? Although saying that Ripsaw still has a page so.. Like Sub Terra I fail to see why changes cannot be completed within the closed season, probably want to hire the minimal amount of staff as possible to do the jobs with wanting to cut costs.
stealthsmiler

Ryan.B wrote:As far as I'm aware, the lower half of the helix not visible on the picture has been painted a rustic red, so quite different to the grey worn look of 94, and now it will be white with rustic red over it as far as I'm aware, you can see it on the TLC twitter photo to the right, it's different colour to before. That part is actually a finished coat of paint from what I know, ill compare the photos later.

Edit: I found a photo from around the same area in the 2015 season

And then this from closed season 2016 from the TLC twitter

On the left of this is track which hasn't been repainted, the centre is the base coat, and the right is the new colour scheme (red/brownish tint on the undercoat.
Does this mean nemesis will be more red than white this season? The picture looks very red where the tracks been finished. It's going to look a lot more like Nemesis Inferno with more people thinking this one is the copy due to becoming red second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max

Ryan.B wrote:As far as I'm aware, the lower half of the helix not visible on the picture has been painted a rustic red, so quite different to the grey worn look of 94, and now it will be white with rustic red over it as far as I'm aware, you can see it on the TLC twitter photo to the right, it's different colour to before. That part is actually a finished coat of paint from what I know, ill compare the photos later.

Edit: I found a photo from around the same area in the 2015 season

And then this from closed season 2016 from the TLC twitter

On the left of this is track which hasn't been repainted, the centre is the base coat, and the right is the new colour scheme (red/brownish tint on the undercoat.
I don't believe this is the case. You can slightly see that the track to the right of it is also red-ish, whereas in the photo below that same portion of track is the bright white colour now.

Picture credit to TowersStreet Facebook
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Ryan.B

Ah, I'm not sure, I'm just stating what ive been told, but I believe they are adding this rust/reddish effect all around :)
dazza4783

Wasn't the original story for Nemesis that the track was some kind of exo-skeleton with the trains supposed to be organs moving out along them to gather nutrients? Maybe that is the look they are going for, a skeleton like white track with the red bit supposed to be traces of blood.
MakoMania

Alton Towers have removed any mention of Hex's closure from the website.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
dazza4783

MakoMania wrote:Alton Towers have removed any mention of Hex's closure from the website.
They must have changed the Hex page early by accident, or just to test the page. They did say that they would announce the ride line-up in January, which has now ended, so I would say that they will be announcing it very soon.
Liam.W

dazza4783 wrote:Wasn't the original story for Nemesis that the track was some kind of exo-skeleton with the trains supposed to be organs moving out along them to gather nutrients? Maybe that is the look they are going for, a skeleton like white track with the red bit supposed to be traces of blood.
I always believed that the track was the twisted metal used to restrain the nemesis monster :lol

Can someone clear this up? :P
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Morgan

The track are the tentacles of the beast, the trains are "exploratory organs" (that search for food), and the supports are pinning the creature down.
dazza4783

Liam.W wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:Wasn't the original story for Nemesis that the track was some kind of exo-skeleton with the trains supposed to be organs moving out along them to gather nutrients? Maybe that is the look they are going for, a skeleton like white track with the red bit supposed to be traces of blood.
I always believed that the track was the twisted metal used to restrain the nemesis monster :lol

Can someone clear this up? :P
It is explained here by John Wardley himself. Skeletal tentacles restrained by steel, I take that to mean that the supports are supposed to be the steel restraints and the track is the exo-skeleton the organs travel out on.

https://youtu.be/H7OjP4YKYwE?t=831

I think there is a bit of confusion with it as the pre-show video on Sub-Terra shows track pieces being lowered in to restrain the monster, but that is certainly different to the original story.
Sawboss

They probably tweaked the backstory with the introduction of phalanx and sub-terra.
Morgan

I'm pretty sure the Phalanx have always been involved, the Nemesis comic from 1994 is based on the Phalanx and the creature.
Zach

From what I'm hearing on the towers grape vine, the Nemesis white paint has been completed and other areas are now taking some attention, former glory of 1994 is coming!
Ryan.B

From what I've heard, they're sorting out the photo booth thing on octonauts as it seemed to be peeling/rotten
Jared

Hex is an issue, not as big as the fact that the Monorail won't open this year...
MakoMania

Jared wrote:Hex is an issue, not as big as the fact that the Monorail won't open this year...
How do you know this?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]