Towers Loving Care

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheBeornen

Aidan Lowe wrote:
TheBeornen wrote:Wow I wonder what they're gonna put in to replace them? I personally think they might just have a bit where you pay at the turnstiles.
Would make sense I guess. To save money hiring additional people to sit in the booths all day just have machines.
Well we all know how much Merlin loves saving money...
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Dan

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure how I feel about this.

When I think of the plaza, I think of those kiosks, despite many of them not being used in recent years, so it is a bit saddening to see them just being destroyed.

Looking forward to see what they install to replace them and how it will affect the overall feel of the plaza.
Nickolai

They could extend the queue line to the online booking area and operate as both that and on the day admissions.
Formally Smiler313
S.J_O'Grady

I'm really hoping they bring all the signage up to date, most of the signs on the plaza, car parks, and main entrance use either the pre Mother Hen font or something even older.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
TheBeornen

Could Merlin use this extra space in the plaza to add seasonal themeing to the area. For example this year they could have some Wicker man themeing up around the plaza and then next year they could do the 21st anniversary of Oblivion just like how they did it with nemesis a few years ago.

Be Chosen...
Justin

I expect they will be replaced with similar machines found at a cinema lobby. I imagine there will be a new kiosk of some description as 241 vouchers will still need to be exchanged.
Phild94

Justin wrote:I expect they will be replaced with similar machines found at a cinema lobby. I imagine there will be a new kiosk of some description as 241 vouchers will still need to be exchanged.
Does anyone actually go without 241 tickets these days! Unless they’ve bought online you’d have to be mad to pay full price.

Surely there will have to be more than 1 kiosk for this
Justin

You'd be surprised, but yes, I am sure there would be!
8byfire

Dan wrote:The latest update from the Towers Loving Care Facebook page shows the work currently taking place on the admissions plaza.
Tickets please, tickets please! Our Admissions plaza which was built in the 1980s is having a wonderful TLC makeover. Phase one involves the removal of the old ticket kiosks!

They needed some more wood for Wicker Man!
But punning apart great to see all the TLC - it's hard to keep rides looking good as the weather quickly does its best to take the edge off the visuals- even rain and wind do their bit, so it's worth regularly restoring things- I think the park's probably thinking ahead to the various anniversaries it has coming up.

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
streetmagix

I would assume it'll be the same machines as at the London Eye (which worked pretty well when I used them last!)
TheDuke

Don't look down! Lots of painting around Oblivion this last week, including the queue line returning to the original silver colour, station bays and ride control booth. Oblivion turns 20 yrs old on March 14th this year, will you be taking the plunge?
https://twitter.com/AltonTLC/status/957 ... 29152?s=09
Oblivion getting a touch up to its station
Robert.W

Nice to see Oblivion getting some some TLC this closed season. 

I hope they have some pretty amazing plans for the entrance plaza, becasue at the moment it dosen't look that great. (Image from TowersStreet)

TheBeornen

I hope thay are doing some work on other parts of the Oblivion queue like the room with the old projector in it.

Be Chosen...
TheDuke

The lastest update from Towers Loving Care on the completion of the nemesis refurbishment.
The Nemesis monster refurbishment is complete. It has taken over 2,500 hours of expert scenic painters time and was such a huge project that it scaled over 3 closed seasons. We hope you agree that it was well worth it! Check out these before and after snaps.

The TLC team have done a fantastic job on nemesis. I definitely not the only one who thinks that makes the whole coaster look as if its new to the park. I wonder what the team will move onto next. I'm speculating duel.
RobHand

WOW :love  they really did a killer job on this. Cant wait to see it in the flesh in march!

Lets hope its just hope it is maintained through out the seasons to come!
Justin

It will be great to see the beast finished, in person. Well done, Alton!
Robert.W

Wow! The difference between the before and after pictures is remarkable, they really have done a fantastic job with the TLC! :)

Phild94

I can’t believe this is what Nemesis used to look like!

I remember it looking like this as a kid but thought it was a rather over active imagination!
Tom170499

Whilst I think the new incarnation of Nemesis is amazing, I can’t bring myself to celebrate something that should be done as standard, not as a result of an accident. 

I also can’t see Merlin keeping it looking like this for a long time so enjoy it whilst it lasts...
Justin

I can understand where you are coming from, although, it is good to see the park recognise that it needed to be refurbished to its former glory. It certainly shows from those photos how bad it actually was, although, I am confident that they will not leave it so long, next time.