Towers Loving Care

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Hopefully they will fix all the broken effects and adding some more. Some are looking tired now too, so it would be good seeing it refreshed! I'm just expecting a fix and exterior paint though.
Robert.W

Great to hear that Duel is getting some TLC soon! I hope they try and rework some of the lighting so it is darker, but so we can still see all the effects.

Nickolai

Replace the LED strobes with gels on to the UV strobes. That would be a good start for the screaming room.
Formally Smiler313
Alex

Justin wrote:Hopefully they will fix all the broken effects and adding some more. Some are looking tired now too, so it would be good seeing it refreshed! I'm just expecting a fix and exterior paint though.
Updating the actual shooting system would be nice but it'd probably be easier to start afresh!
Robert.W

Alton could really do something cool with Duel. Something that would work for publicity as well as renewing the ride system.

Ryan.B

How many people prefer guns over no guns? For me it's got to be the guns, unless they choose to go tomb blaster style in their TLC.
TheDuke

Hmmmm both work if you do it well, I think its easier to do a ride like this with guns because I don't think people are easily scared now and with guns you don't have to be dependent on scares. That being said I'd love the towers to try to make a modern version of a haunted house that can scare current audiences throughout the ride and without the fallback of guns to distract the riders.

Duel as is it could use a complete overhaul of its effects and a complete repaint as its not in a good way and is getting dated.
Dom

I think everyone can agree that Duel was the one thing at the park that needed TLC badly, and now its finally getting it so Yay for that. My only concern is that this could be too little, too late. They are just better off gutting the ride and redoing it instead of trying to repair it under the TLC programme.
Alex

Dom wrote:I think everyone can agree that Duel was the one thing at the park that needed TLC badly, and now its finally getting it so Yay for that. My only concern is that this could be too little, too late. They are just better off gutting the ride and redoing it instead of trying to repair it under the TLC programme.
I agree with that Dom but I guess it'll be a lot cheaper to do it that way!
Robert.W

I wouldn't be surprised if Duel was eventually closed to make way for new new dark ride in the future that could be a SW. Obviously far into the future though if they are doing TLC soon.

Rob
Admin
Admin

To be honest I would rather the ride wasn't part of the TLC project and just got had a complete retheme or new ride installed.
Bert

So I found this article about Towers Loving Care. 

Article here

So essentially many thing were set for TLC including:
  • Monorail and Skyride 'upgrades'
  • Duel Refurb
  • Park wanting to be open 365 days a year
  • Refresh for 'whatever area SW8 is in' 
  • A long term aim for Towers Loving Care past 2018
So I think all of these ideas are very interesting, most notably 365 days opening, The Skyride and Monorail 'upgrade' seems interesting as I think they only need a refurb and some new audio. 

So, What do you lot think?
[Insert Signature Here]
Capt.Barnacles

I discussed this with Jordan whilst waiting for Rapids to open last week, and we agreed that it's coming to a time when the monorail trains are almost due a reskin, as whilst the current designs are loved by enthusiasts, general public guests won't see much relevance with how the park is today. I think having the trains reskinned to better fit the areas of the park as they are today may be a good idea.
Tom170499

I think a monorail train based on each of the big 6 rides would be great. Plus it would be a good opportunity to advertise SW8 by having one of the trains themed to it eventually. 
Luce

I like that idea Tom, having monorail trains designed around the coasters would look nice and also give them a refresh.  Also, if they were to do that, perhaps the windows could be made to be transparent as well so that you can get a better view of the park as you travel in the trains.
Tom170499

Thanks Luce :D I like the idea of having transparent windows again too.
Robert.W

Whilst the monorail branding is technically not relevant to the resort today, many will still see it as a fun and novel way of travelling to and from the park. If I'm honest, I think it's the interiors that need a bit of a spruce up. I like the idea of them being themed around the Big Six though.

Sawboss

Soon to be the Big Seven. ;)
Justin

Coaster inspired Monorail trains would be awesome! I could imagine a train in black and yellow swirls, navy and white, red and black etc. The Monorail is certainly an area for TLC within the coming years!
AltonOperator

I think they should get Leek Signs to do an SW8 teaser one right now that looks like the wooden piratey theming around the construction site.

Then again it would be expensive for just a temporary thing. :(
Thanks Jack