Towers Loving Care

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
daveclarkedaveclarke

I think this is a brilliant idea from towers, as long as they stick to a very good standard i'm sure everybody will be happy!
Stan.H

I'm glad that Alton Towers (& Merlin Entertainments) are finally investing into the upkeep of the park, as almost definitely, a decent percentage of the park did not look up to scratch, and with this new programme; I think that Alton Towers will look amazing once again, and attract yet more guest's. Thanks Alton Towers :D
Aidan Lowe

Credit TowersStreet Twitter.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dom

She is looking very white which is awesome. Towers Loving Care, if it continues in the way that its going now, will be a very good thing for the aesthetic of the park
Justin

Nemesis looks amazing from what we have seen so far! Very futuristic! ;)
They just need to repaint Galactic now!
Aidan Lowe

Justin wrote:Nemesis looks amazing from what we have seen so far! Very futuristic! ;)
They just need to repaint Galactic now!
There were some pictures a few weeks after close where it looked very new so I think its already had a repaint at least on the sections of track that were posted.
NemesisRider

It will be interesting seeing shiny track on Nemesis again, it does look more futuristic than before!
Aidan Lowe

I'd say it looks clean not sure why you guys are using the term futuristic :D. Its simply the color white.. Yea Galactica is supposedly based in the year 3016 so FV needs updating but come on guys don't get sucked into the theme of the area too much. Stay with us in reality. :)
Justin

Andy Mc wrote:I'd say it looks clean not sure why you guys are using the term futuristic :D. Its simply the color white.. Yea Galactica is supposedly based in the year 3016 so FV needs updating but come on guys don't get sucked into the theme of the area too much. Stay with us in reality. :)
No mention of area retheme at all, and no need for one in my opinion, so I'm not sure where you have got this from? :? But, having more clean lines could easily be worked into the current theme/story of Nemisis with very little effort and virtually no additional cost... Having a 'high tech' force field around the creature as just one example, with the back story remaining exactly the same. Unlikely, but great to see these new pics, along with the ones we've currently seen. It will make a big difference to the area and if the TLC programme continues in this fashion, and AT will benefit greatly from it! :D
Aidan Lowe

Justin wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:I'd say it looks clean not sure why you guys are using the term futuristic :D. Its simply the color white.. Yea Galactica is supposedly based in the year 3016 so FV needs updating but come on guys don't get sucked into the theme of the area too much. Stay with us in reality. :)
No mention of area retheme at all, and no need for one in my opinion, so I'm not sure where you have got this from?
Its just that you and Sam both used the word futuristic so thought you guys somehow were referring to the repaint to be tied in with whats happening over at Galactica. Just don't understand the odd choice of wording based on it simply being the color white.
Justin

Andy Mc wrote: Its just that you and Sam both used the word futuristic so thought you guys somehow were referring to the repaint to be tied in with whats happening over at Galactica. Just don't understand the odd choice of wording based on it simply being the color white.
Nothing more than a simple observation, whilst thinking of Galactica :lol
NemesisRider

The bright white does look futuristic, it probably is also because of rides like Oblivion The Black Hole being white to look spacelike and futuristic. The repainted track reminds of that :P

Maybe they'll say Nemesis was dangerously close to escaping so they "replaced" the track to keep Nemesis secure :lol
Dan

I would have thought that the bright white paint currently visible is just an undercoat and that they will add a red rust-like coat on top before the park re-opens.

I would be very surprised if the track remains that colour.
MakoMania

Dan.N wrote:I would have thought that the bright white paint currently visible is just an undercoat and that they will add a red rust-like coat on top before the park re-opens.

Merlin have had a thing with painting coasters white lately though, the Heide Park B&M wing coaster (that I can't spell) and Oblivion: the Black Hole at Gardaland. Their last two coasters have both been painted white.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemeJaney

I personally hope Nemmy doesn't stay bright white. It just looks so unnatural in what is a very wild-looking landscape, as well as not matching the off-whites of the station and, well, the general theme and character of the area. As people have been saying, it is more than likely just to be an undercoat/primer, then dirt/blood marks will be painted over it.
stealthsmiler

I hate the colour. Nemesis was the one ride on park that didn't need repainting as the aged look boosts the theme. I'm all for up keeping the park however I feel that the money would have been better off spent on repainting the Smiler with a high quality paint. It looks like one of the oldest rides on the park when it's one of the newest. I agree with Nemmy looking out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom170499

Who knows Stealthsmiler, maybe other rides have been repainted but we just don't know. Perhaps the plan with The Smiler is to get it looking as good as new, all effects working and a reprint for opening day. And besides, The Smiler will no doubt receive attention during the 3 year plan. Like you said, it does look like one of the oldest rides despite being the youngest.
Justin

Dan.N wrote:I would have thought that the bright white paint currently visible is just an undercoat and that they will add a red rust-like coat on top before the park re-opens.

Would they go to all the effort of painting the track, then to go back over it again?

I believe that what you see is the finsihed article, and prep work, undercoats and top coats have been done in one go (over a couple of days per section). I can't see them taking down scaffolding / moving cherry pickers then to put them all back up again. Interesting times ahead!
Dan

Justin wrote:Would they go to all the effort of painting the track, then to go back over it again?

I believe that what you see is the finsihed article, and prep work, undercoats and top coats have been done in one go (over a couple of days per section). I can't see them taking down scaffolding / moving cherry pickers then to put them all back up again. Interesting times ahead!
I'd like to think they would.

Nemesis just wouldn't look right with a pristine, gleaming white track. The rust effect adds to the overall theme and feel of the attraction and I would be very disappointed if some red isn't added as part of the TLC project.
Ryan.B

As far as I'm aware, the lower half of the helix not visible on the picture has been painted a rustic red, so quite different to the grey worn look of 94, and now it will be white with rustic red over it as far as I'm aware, you can see it on the TLC twitter photo to the right, it's different colour to before. That part is actually a finished coat of paint from what I know, ill compare the photos later.

Edit: I found a photo from around the same area in the 2015 season

And then this from closed season 2016 from the TLC twitter

On the left of this is track which hasn't been repainted, the centre is the base coat, and the right is the new colour scheme (red/brownish tint on the undercoat.