Keeping Alton Towers Resort Safe & Secure

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mark_h

From the BBC news article the man was caught bringing the gun into one of the hotels, not a theme park.

It is one thing providing security screening a the entrance to a park, where there is already a controlled entrance but to provide screening to the rest of the resort would be a nightmare. Customers will put up with a search when they enter the park, but not multiple searches throughout the day.
Kraken

Alton Towers could make the theme park a "sterile" area, i.e. search people as they enter it, but should you decide to leave the park for whatever reason, i.e. to return to your car / coach / hotel room, then you would have to be re-screened upon re-entry as you could have picked up prohibited items.

It's just like at an airport - you get screened when you enter the departures lounge. If you decide to go back "landside" say for a cigarette in the event of a delayed flight, you go through all the security screening again when you return to departures.

Universal Orlando are lucky in that they can screen guests just once as they enter CityWalk. As both IoA & Universal Studios are all off this one area, you can park-hop without any additional screening.

Given the vast expanse of Disney in Orlando, you are screened at avery park entrance as when travelling between parks you have had the opportunity to pick up prohibited items.

I think we can expect to see more security at theme parks in future. All the Florida parks have cranked security up a notch back in mid-December & I would not be surprised if the UK parks start to follow suit. Whilst the risk may be deemed low, if enhanced security deters some of the more undesirable visitors then it has to be a good thing just for that.
Aidan Lowe

Turns out the number of security at Alton Towers has been halved due to the redundancies.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:Turns out the number of security at Alton Towers has been halved due to the redundancies.

I wouldn't take that as solid fact.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
118hazaman

Kraken wrote:Alton Towers could make the theme park a "sterile" area, i.e. search people as they enter it, but should you decide to leave the park for whatever reason, i.e. to return to your car / coach / hotel room, then you would have to be re-screened upon re-entry as you could have picked up prohibited items.
I had this at Thorpe Park when I went last July. They were checking everyone's bags and belongings as they entered the park.
bryn_the_pen

Anyone here about the shooting in Orlando? From what I understand, Disney will now screen ever guest on entry. K wonder if this will poke a reaction from UK parks
MakoMania

SeaWorld have also enhanced their security procedures, I can't see AT doing anything here until/unless they see some sort of credible threat.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
mark_h

The terrorists will go for the easiest target that gives the highest "reward". Secure one venue (theme park/ visitor attraction/ stadium/ airport/ shopping centre/ etc.) and they will choose another.

On the world stage I think that Madam Tussaud's and the London Eye are Merlin's two most prestigious/vulnerable attractions.

-----

Security at AT is more important for preventing anti-social behaviour, vandalism and theft than for preventing a terrorist incident. If a gunman (gunperson?) got into the park there would be little that a few unarmed security guards could do other than evacuate areas and wait for armed police to arrive.

-----
From the Disneyworld perspective the Orlando shootings has taken news coverage away from their parks natural hazards
ASturge21

Alton has the advantage of having a spread out park so easier to contain and more time to evacuate FV if X sector was attacked

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Kraken

Security at Alton Towers is useless (at best). They almost never eject q-jumpers / trouble makers due to the remote location of the park. (If the troublesome guest has come on a coach, all they are going to do is cause trouble in the local area until coach departure time).

The only two days of the season when Alton Towers security has any "bite" are the two traveller days (Easter Sunday & 1st Sunday of Scarefest). And even on these days they rely on lots of patrolling Police officers in the park as extra backup.

Security at Alton Towers is close on non-existant in reality (unless the park is losing money, i.e. theft from a shop). Never leave anything of value in your car on view (common sense anyway). Never leave anything of value in ride station baggage cages - there may be CCTV, but it's useless.
Adam.W

Following the recent assault where 4 teens where arrested, I think we will see slightly increased security on park, perhaps even staff trained to deal with lower-key situations such as individuals causing trouble. I think over the coming years (It seems like a long time but with recent events relating to terrorism, etc, it isn't really over the top) we will see an increase in security on park, including maybe security staff who double as a ride host to save some money (knowing Merlin).
Aidan Lowe

I'm not so sure as it's a relatively isolated incident and I think the problem lies with the schools (guessing it was a school trip) 4 youths don't suddenly beat someone up so they must've had some past troubles at school so why were they allowed to go for a start is a concern.

I've not heard of anybody being as beaten up as this kid. Not much that could've been done to prevent it anyway, there are many a secluded part of the resort you could easily corner someone and beat them up.

And if it was in a crowded area why nobody stepped in is just downright shocking.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Nickolai

Kraken wrote:Security at Alton Towers is useless (at best). They almost never eject q-jumpers / trouble makers due to the remote location of the park. (If the troublesome guest has come on a coach, all they are going to do is cause trouble in the local area until coach departures.)

Last year we saw someone getting ejected from the park so security were doing something. This year they were at the turnstiles asking guests to show their bags. It was nothing like airport security checks but similar to what they do on the London Eye.
Formally Smiler313