Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
bensaund

I went on it for the first time on Monday and my experience was good the first time, very bad the second time.

My main bug is the massive length of time it takes to load and un-load the ride. The park only had around 2,000 people in it on Monday (Acording to staff) and the queue was 30+ for best part of the day.

This is definitely an upgrade to Air, the experience has been enhanced.

Negatives:
-The biggest let-down is going to be the headsets IMO. Speed of getting them on/off, clean and reliability of giving a consistant experience
-The quality of the image is not very good, on both times I could not get the screen focused, one headset was out of focus no matter how much I moved the focus wheel
-We had to wait for 2 trains to pass as there were several headsets which were not working
-when I was at the front of the train, the experience was amazing, at the back of the train everything seemed to be out of sync, but this could just be a technical issue
-The ride running costs must have gone through the roof as they need almost 1 member of staff per row to get even a basic through put of customers, I really am not looking forward to the queues when it gets busier

Positives:
-A unique and amazing experience
-I love the audio
-The headset was comfortable
-No need to paint the Air tunnel
-This has set a good standard for others to follow
-The possibilities of changing the VR giving you different destinations would be good

Just imaging a Halloween themed horror VR!
theparklifekid

Im going to be heading to the park for the first time since 2013! \:D/ So i will ride Galactica for the first time.
Seeing how the VR quality is being seen as an issue, they could upgrade the ride to Oculus Rifts or HTC VIVEs, in the future, as the quality on those are far superior to Gear VR
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Owen

Given that the Vive and Oculus would likely require a computer system attached to the train in order to work, it's very unlikely.

On the other hand, they may update the phones and headsets once they get better over time - but we'll have to wait and see! :)
xylyx

The ability to upgrade the phones is a boon, coupled with the new destinations gives me hope that they can iiron all this stuff out :)

I loved it but the low res screens were irritating, so hopefully it can be amended in the future :)
vandark

xylyx wrote:The ability to upgrade the phones is a boon, coupled with the new destinations gives me hope that they can iiron all this stuff out :)

I loved it but the low res screens were irritating, so hopefully it can be amended in the future :)
I've got a crappy old nexus 4 and HD vr content looks great, even on my cheap 15 quid headset. I can't understand why the Samsung vr would be so pixilated.

anybody know why?
xylyx

It's a good question, I'm guessing it's a little "proof of concept" at the moment, showing that it works rather than going to full potential. Maybe doing it as full HD felt like pushing it too far and it was better to get something a little more shonky but which runs than to test the waters and risk breaking the system with the higher resolutions.
Iwholden

Went back to AT again today (third time this season) I loved Galactica, did it twice (first time the video lagged but I was given a priority pass) the queue was none existent first time around, second time it was over 60 minutes but I cut that out with priority. Second time someone had vomited all over the floor (right underneath where they make you wait to go back in the station, so I was staring at sick for 3 or 4 minutes. When a lady complained the staff told they said "we'd have to shut the ride for an hour, so there's no point cleaning it up really" I was kinda shocked but it didn't bother me. Anyway my question is, does the VR make many people sick, or was it simply the coaster?
Liam.W

Iwholden wrote:Went back to AT again today (third time this season) I loved Galactica, did it twice (first time the video lagged but I was given a priority pass) the queue was none existent first time around, second time it was over 60 minutes but I cut that out with priority. Second time someone had vomited all over the floor (right underneath where they make you wait to go back in the station, so I was staring at sick for 3 or 4 minutes. When a lady complained the staff told they said "we'd have to shut the ride for an hour, so there's no point cleaning it up really" I was kinda shocked but it didn't bother me. Anyway my question is, does the VR make many people sick, or was it simply the coaster?
I am normally fine on Air (and all other coasters tbh) but when I went on Galactica I did start to get the first feelings of motion sickness towards the end of the ride!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

vandark

that section of the ride was always covered in puke! haha!
Iwholden wrote:Went back to AT again today (third time this season) I loved Galactica, did it twice (first time the video lagged but I was given a priority pass) the queue was none existent first time around, second time it was over 60 minutes but I cut that out with priority. Second time someone had vomited all over the floor (right underneath where they make you wait to go back in the station, so I was staring at sick for 3 or 4 minutes. When a lady complained the staff told they said "we'd have to shut the ride for an hour, so there's no point cleaning it up really" I was kinda shocked but it didn't bother me. Anyway my question is, does the VR make many people sick, or was it simply the coaster?
so they make you take the goggles off before its back in upright position?
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to merge double post
Michelle

You are instructed via the headphones to remove the headset while on the break run.
vandark

Michelle wrote:You are instructed via the headphones to remove the headset while on the break run.
what do you do with it? Just hold it?
Adam.W

vandark wrote:
Michelle wrote:You are instructed via the headphones to remove the headset while on the break run.
what do you do with it? Just hold it?
Well the video sort of just ends, it's just black so you just take it off. It's attached by some elastic things and it sort of just dangles below you as you wait, so no need to hold onto it.
Michelle

I always hold it, I'd be too scared if it somehow breaking if I didn't even though that's a little ridiculous because as you pointed out, it's well attached.
demz_4

I was extremely disappointed with galactica on my visit on Monday this week. Id ridden it probably 10/12 times before Monday's visit. I rode twice in a row, and then returned an hour or so later to ride again and it was absolutely awful all three times. I rode the back row first ride of the day and it was so far out of sync it was flyin in space before I'd left the lift hill, to which it then threw you into the most disorientating feeling I've ever experienced, the video went on a wild one and it felt as though I was being hurled around sideways and backwards as I went through the lift hill release. It's quite incredible how it can throw your brain out in such a manor! Anyway, I thought nothing of it and put it down as a glitch (fair enough with it being so tech reliant) I took off my goggles mid flight as it really was unbearable and made me begin to feel quite ill. I came back into the station and told the ride op that it was definitely not working properly. He gave me a priority pass and apologised which was all perfectly fine and really quite a good response. I went round and jumped back on, this time the row just before the back (I didn't fancy chancing the dodgy one again) to my absolute shock, yet again as I began to move forward the headset completely threw it self out of sync!? Same feeling again of drifting and not being in time with the lift hill, the same sideways flipping over sensation and visual mess began to go crazy the same as the first go!??? What on earth was up with it? It was as if the sensors that tell the headsets its positioning were completely down. I again had to throw off the headset after just the first drop and inversion as it really was unbearable. I told the ride op again that it's completely not working. He just shunned the comment and said to try it again. I explained this was my 'try again' to which he replied he couldn't understand how it could ever be out of sync and didn't bother to relay the info to the main ride operator/tech team. May I add that both times I rode the ride, I had my headset correctly set up and calibrated by the staff (looking straight ahead with the logo then calibrated to centre by the on craft computer). By this point I was properly disappointed as it really killed the whole experience for me, I'd previously really enjoyed the ride and visuals, but I just began to feel that it was really poor that it could be soooooooo out of sync, I mean I'm really not talking a little bit out, it was full on weird!! I came back an hour or so after and tried again to get the exact same thing again... Various others were complaining by that point but the staff still weren't doing anything about it, or even offering an explanation into what could be the problem?.

Sorry for the rant... Just wanted to let you all know of my experience.

Il be riding again tomorrow so fingers crossed something has been done about it. If not then I really will be disappointed in its reliability so early on in its life. I absolutely loved the experience in previous visits and these three in a row properly shocked me.

Cheers,

Jak
vandark

demz_4 wrote:I was extremely disappointed with galactica on my visit on Monday this week. Id ridden it probably 10/12 times before Monday's visit. I rode twice in a row, and then returned an hour or so later to ride again and it was absolutely awful all three times. I rode the back row first ride of the day and it was so far out of sync it was flyin in space before I'd left the lift hill, to which it then threw you into the most disorientating feeling I've ever experienced, the video went on a wild one and it felt as though I was being hurled around sideways and backwards as I went through the lift hill release. It's quite incredible how it can throw your brain out in such a manor! Anyway, I thought nothing of it and put it down as a glitch (fair enough with it being so tech reliant) I took off my goggles mid flight as it really was unbearable and made me begin to feel quite ill. I came back into the station and told the ride op that it was definitely not working properly. He gave me a priority pass and apologised which was all perfectly fine and really quite a good response. I went round and jumped back on, this time the row just before the back (I didn't fancy chancing the dodgy one again) to my absolute shock, yet again as I began to move forward the headset completely threw it self out of sync!? Same feeling again of drifting and not being in time with the lift hill, the same sideways flipping over sensation and visual mess began to go crazy the same as the first go!??? What on earth was up with it? It was as if the sensors that tell the headsets its positioning were completely down. I again had to throw off the headset after just the first drop and inversion as it really was unbearable. I told the ride op again that it's completely not working. He just shunned the comment and said to try it again. I explained this was my 'try again' to which he replied he couldn't understand how it could ever be out of sync and didn't bother to relay the info to the main ride operator/tech team. May I add that both times I rode the ride, I had my headset correctly set up and calibrated by the staff (looking straight ahead with the logo then calibrated to centre by the on craft computer). By this point I was properly disappointed as it really killed the whole experience for me, I'd previously really enjoyed the ride and visuals, but I just began to feel that it was really poor that it could be soooooooo out of sync, I mean I'm really not talking a little bit out, it was full on weird!! I came back an hour or so after and tried again to get the exact same thing again... Various others were complaining by that point but the staff still weren't doing anything about it, or even offering an explanation into what could be the problem?.

Sorry for the rant... Just wanted to let you all know of my experience.

Il be riding again tomorrow so fingers crossed something has been done about it. If not then I really will be disappointed in its reliability so early on in its life. I absolutely loved the experience in previous visits and these three in a row properly shocked me.

Cheers,

Jak
damn, that's bad!
ROYJESS

I found that it is best to hold the headset in place with my hands in addition to the head strap as the ride seems to shake the head set around a bit on my head and cause the image to shake all out of focus.
DeadJack5

I don't know if this has been asked before.

I'm new to this VR stuff, but with the headsets, are you able to wear glasses with them on? I've never tried VR headsets before so I don't know how comfortable they are with them on or if they don't allow enough room to have them on aswell as the headset
Adam.W

Deadjack5 wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before.

I'm new to this VR stuff, but with the headsets, are you able to wear glasses with them on? I've never tried VR headsets before so I don't know how comfortable they are with them on or if they don't allow enough room to have them on aswell as the headset
You can't due to the nature of the headset, however they implemented a focus wheel so that people with glasses are able to experience it without any blurriness :)

IMO this is a major downfall (no offence to glasses users ;)) becuase it can lead to some blurry rides and stuff. To counter this there should be like a default focus for people without glasses, and people with glasses are given the option to adjust the focus.

On top of this a higher res picture would be better so you can actually see if the screen is focussing or not.
DeadJack5

Thanks for the help,

It's a shame but unfortunately would be uncomfortable to wear. I never knew about the focus adjuster aswell. Hopefully it can suitable as many people as possible. :)
Master_feedback

I'm starting to wonder if the vr format will make it to the end of the year the probems with the system seams to be getting bigger

Also has it actualy been confirmed that they will produce new vr destinations (content) or is the only thing that says more destinations is the posters at the ride?