Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adam.W

SJW wrote:Many reactions I've seen on Twitter etc seem quite negative!
I've seen a lot on youtube and social media, etc, that a lot of people are judging it before riding it, saying that they've ruined air and that the VR looks rubbish, despite not trying it. (Yes, I know some people just don't like the concept, but eh)
Liam.W

I've just thought of an idea of how to choose destinations on the headsets. I have noticed on the VR coasters at six flags park there is a button on the headset which they use to shoot things in the video. So could we possibly stare at a desired location and then press the button to select?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

vandark

Liam.W wrote:I've just thought of an idea of how to choose destinations on the headsets. I have noticed on the VR coasters at six flags park there is a button on the headset which they use to shoot things in the video. So could we possibly stare at a desired location and then press the button to select?
on a lot of vr apps and games these days, you just look at the option you want to choose for a second or so, rather than click a physical button.
Jammydodger

Unfortunately for me, Galactica seems like a case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...yet". It is a great concept, and without trying to sound like a Merlin marketing exec, the engineering behind it is a technological marvel. However, the rendering hardware lets it all down, which is a real shame. Had they waited a few more years, with the rate mobile graphics are accelerating we could have had a real ground breaker, but instead I can't see this as more than a gimmick.

The good thing about Gear VR, is that it should be remarkebly easy to upgrade the hardware inside the headset as technology evolves. And I should hope they do as well, because in 5 years time, these videos are going to look like a real mess.
LiamWhitehurst

Jammydodger wrote:Unfortunately for me, Galactica seems like a case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...yet". It is a great concept, and without trying to sound like a Merlin marketing exec, the engineering behind it is a technological marvel. However, the rendering hardware lets it all down, which is a real shame. Had they waited a few more years, with the rate mobile graphics are accelerating we could have had a real ground breaker, but instead I can't see this as more than a gimmick.

The good thing about Gear VR, is that it should be remarkebly easy to upgrade the hardware inside the headset as technology evolves. And I should hope they do as well, because in 5 years time, these videos are going to look like a real mess.
Considering that the graphics are pre-rendered, the rendering hardware of the phones is not a limiting factor. The main limiting factor at the moment with mobile VR is the display resolution.
Arwen

I went on Galactica for the first time yesterday. It was ok, it was definitely something different from Air.
The only thing that annoyed me was that wait on the break run, it really left a sour taste in the mouth. Concrete bricks, space? :-k Sort of doesn't fit! I think they should extend the footage or do something to the floor so it's a bit more entertaining.

Overall I'd give it 8/10 when I got it well focused and 4/10 when its out of focus and all looks like a multicoloured blur! ;)
Aidan Lowe

I tried it couple of times today.

As a whole package (portal, music, photo op point, station, ride, vr etc) I'd give it a solid 6/10 but the VR imo is really underwhelming. It has been my first experience with VR and while I loved the station segment and had a good look round the bits after were just a complete mess imo, from the get go sitting in my seat I was twiddling my visor focus and making sure its secure and even held it trying to steady it going around but was still a complete mess.

I do think that in the future if the hardware can be easily upgraded it'll be amazing, its probably the best VR experience to offer for a theme park attraction currently but its far from a solid worthwhile experience imo and the fact they want you to wear headsets unless medically incapable in doing so then on any future visits I'd completely avoid it.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Justin

I think what we sometimes forget is that we are enthusiasts, therefore we are more cynical about rides, changes, spec etc.

What we must remember is that families with 1.4m riders, who may visit one time a year, will find this a truly unique and magical experience, just as we did on our first visits to parks.

I was an Air fan, but I really think it is a good addition to Alton's lineup which rejuvenates a ride which otherwise may have been removed or sold on in a couple of years time. I'm all for keeping coasters/experiences but also adding new attractions instead of remove and build. This way the park can grow. The audio is brilliant and the VR (when not analysed) is good. Of course I could look for errors, but Towers is all about escapism by letting your imagination go wild! Sometimes we have to submerge ourselves in the theme.

Of course it is not to everyone's taste, but it is really interesting to read everyone's thoughts :)
As you say Andy, it has the potential to be upgraded in the future to, which is extremely possitive :)
Themeparksandy1981

Can I ask how this compares to Cyper Mountain in Disney Quest as I love this attraction?
vandark

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Can I ask how this compares to Cyper Mountain in Disney Quest as I love this attraction?
Cyber Space Mountain? the simulator?
Colsaddan

:evil: I can't believe how bad Galactica was! I used to love air and was very hopeful for this new 'experience' but was extremely disappointed!
Justin

Colsaddan wrote::evil: I can't believe how bad Galactica was! I used to love air and was very hopeful for this new 'experience' but was extremely disappointed!
First of all, welcome to the forum. I hope that you have lots of fun with us!
What was it that you didn't like about the experience?
DeadJack5

How well does the Single rider queue work on Galactica? It was abit lengthy before hand, have they improved on this?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Deadjack5 wrote:How well does the Single rider queue work on Galactica? It was abit lengthy before hand, have they improved on this?
It doesn't exist anymore :P
DeadJack5

lewis97 wrote:
Deadjack5 wrote:How well does the Single rider queue work on Galactica? It was abit lengthy before hand, have they improved on this?
It doesn't exist anymore :P

There's no single rider queue anymore? That's disappointing I guess. :(
Colsaddan

Justin wrote:
Colsaddan wrote::evil: I can't believe how bad Galactica was! I used to love air and was very hopeful for this new 'experience' but was extremely disappointed!
First of all, welcome to the forum. I hope that you have lots of fun with us!
What was it that you didn't like about the experience?

In my opinion the best part of air was the fact you were looking at the floor/surroundings and could share the experience with your friends! Galactica has taken both these factors away!
Aidan Lowe

Colsaddan wrote:.. and could share the experience with your friends!
Regarding that this was actually funny because after my first go of Galactica when we were on the break run the girls on the right of me took off their headsets and one said to her friend "Hey <name> there is someone beside you." They didn't even know I was sat next to them hahaha.

I'm not a huge fan of Air myself but do prefer to see where I'm going. When you wear the headset you kind of zone out of the fact your on a coaster and as many people said when reaching the end they go "is that it?", your so engrossed and concentrating on whats happening in the VR sequence that it goes so fast.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
JonDoesTT

I rode Galactica for the first time on the Spring Spectacular event last weekend, and it was incredible the first time. Other than the headset being uncomfortable and the quality not being the best (even though I did adjust the focus wheel), I was completely shocked by how good it was. When it first starts, and you're flying over the Galactica portal thingy and it looks like you're 100s of feet in the air (even though you're just in a concrete tunnel), it's incredible. Then when you get past the lift hill and you bank right, and you can see the earth, it's incredible. The rest of the VR is good, but it does feel rushed towards the end. On the second/third ride, it's nowhere near as good Imo, you're not as overwhelmed by it, but it does give you the chance to look around more. One of the weirdest things about Galactica is feeling the cold air whilst on the ride, but being on a planet with lava/fire everywhere in the VR video, which is slightly confusing. Although there's nothing they could do about it really, other than change the destination (which I'm pretty sure they're doing). Overall Galactica is much better than Air was. :D

Credit to NemesisRider
Bluvert

Hey guys, so I've been following these forums for a few years now (since the start of 13) and thought that I should probably start posting...

I'd had my first few rides on Galactica yesterday and although I was pretty impressed the 1st time I rode it, I came to realise that the ride can be a hit and miss. My friend and I experienced problems with the headsets on the times that we rode. The 1st time hers went black after the chain lift for the rest of the ride whilst mine was okay, the 2nd time hers was okay but mine didn't sync correctly, making it a nauseating experience. Not being able to enjoy the ride together was a bit of a downer!

However I do like what they've done to the station, the staff were very friendly and helpful, giving us both fast track to re-ride it. I liked what they were going for, I just think it needs fine tuning, there was way too much going on after the lift hill, making it hard to fully embrace it!

Overall I'd give Galatica a 6.5/10, didn't hate it but it wasn't the best!
Max

I agree with you, after the lift hill it all seems a bit chaotic.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888