Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

Owen wrote:Could someone confirm if the disabled entrance is situated in the same place as AIR's was?

Thanks in advance :)
It is :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

Fast track still available for this? Eager to try it but don't necessarily want to queue up here for a good hour or so although it'll only probably cut that in half, I can deal with that.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

Andy Mc wrote:Fast track still available for this? Eager to try it but don't necessarily want to queue up here for a good hour or so although it'll only probably cut that in half, I can deal with that.
There was a fastrack entrance opposite the main entrance in the air plaza (well I guess it's now the Galactica plaza!) so fastrack is available. Whether you can buy it now or not I don't know!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Tom170499

Liam.W wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:Fast track still available for this? Eager to try it but don't necessarily want to queue up here for a good hour or so although it'll only probably cut that in half, I can deal with that.
There was a fastrack entrance opposite the main entrance in the air plaza (well I guess it's now the Galactica plaza!) so fastrack is available. Whether you can buy it now or not I don't know!
I think you can buy a single Galactica fastrack for £10. I'm not too sure so you're best off checking with the park.
Liam.W

Tom170499 wrote:
Liam.W wrote:
I think you can buy a single Galactica fastrack for £10. I'm not too sure so you're best off checking with the park.
Yes single galactica fastracks are £10, same as the smiler. What I'm unsure about is whether you can buy them now, or they are waiting for it to be open for a while before selling them
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dan

I believe that Galactica fastracks are being advertised around the park but are not yet available to buy.

As far as I'm aware the only people using the fastrack queue at present are priority pass and VIP Annual Passholders.
MakoMania

Just get to Galactica at/before 9:45, wait time not too bad then.
Tom170499

MakoMania wrote:
Just get to Galactica at/before 9:45, wait time not too bad then.
I think you're best off leaving it till last. That's what I did on Friday. I did all the other rides a few times then headed over about half four and walked straight on to it :)
Owen

To be brutally honest, Galactica really hasn't proven as a huge people drawer and is getting pretty standard queues, with The Smiler often surpassing it.

Of course during the summer the ride will inevitably become busier but right now I don't see it necessary to pay out £8-£10 on a Fastrack :)
zakwoolley1

Ride times says the queue is 30 mins. For an attraction that opened a week ago, that's quite bad.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MakoMania

Whilst the park is busier than it was last summer, the current crowds for what is a school holiday period, seem to be like those on a working weekday in 2014. I will praise Merlin / Alton though, even though crowds are significantly down, operations on the major coasters have been pretty good. (Disregarding Oblivion's single train loading)
Tom170499

MakoMania wrote:Whilst the park is busier than it was last summer, the current crowds for what is a school holiday period, seem to be like those on a working weekday in 2014. I will praise Merlin / Alton though, even though crowds are significantly down, operations on the major coasters have been pretty good. (Disregarding Oblivion's single train loading)
The park was running great on Friday. All rides were on max capacity, even 13 which I haven't seen on 3 train service since 2010.
demz_4

There was posters up on the exit stairs leading to the Galactica shop today, with 'new destination' planets being advertised as coming soon and read as if these will be new VR scenes :)
Justin

An interesting article from Digital Spy regarding the operations of Galactica.

Galactica Tested: Alton Towers' new VR coaster isn't out of this world
The future is here, but is it really the future of theme parks?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/feature/ ... his-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

zakwoolley1 wrote:Ride times says the queue is 30 mins. For an attraction that opened a week ago, that's quite bad.
I'd imagine that is because most of the GP not only in this country but across the globe aren't on the VR bandwagon yet. Unless you are a keen theme park goer or into the tech world you'd probably be oblivious to VR steamrolling its way into all areas of entertainment. It'll take time for Galactica to reach its true potential.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:
zakwoolley1 wrote:Ride times says the queue is 30 mins. For an attraction that opened a week ago, that's quite bad.
I'd imagine that is because most of the GP not only in this country but across the globe aren't on the VR bandwagon yet. Unless you are a keen theme park goer or into the tech world you'd probably be oblivious to VR steamrolling its way into all areas of entertainment. It'll take time for Galactica to reach its true potential.
No one that I talk to even knows Galactica exists, maybe that's why it's quiet. They've left the TV ads a bit late in the school holidays imo, they probably have good reasons why they left it though.
NeoXIII

Went last Saturday to pick up my MAP for this Saturday and went on Galactica four times that day. I had a lovely time, the staff was super friendly and helpful and the entire atmosphere was amazing. It wasn't too busy and as Andy Mc just said, VR probably still need to catch up to the mainstream for Galactica to be really successful.

Oh and the photo scanners are the end are really slow! Took the system longer than a minute to display photos!
xylyx

The digital spy article is a fair assessment, my only points of contention were the graphical fidelity and the "everything crammed into one journey" nature of it.

One of the planned destinations is an Aurora, which would be incredible to weave through, I will be intrigued as to how they select it. I'm Guessing it'll be a choice you make with the attendant, but I hope it's a full experience with the Aurora and not just squeezed into the other destinations. Graphically I'm sure that will improve and with it being gear VR the phones can just be swapped out. :)
Master_feedback

Owen wrote:Could someone confirm if the disabled entrance is situated in the same place as AIR's was?

Thanks in advance :)
Owen I took the first wheel chair passenger on galactica on the preview day the wheel chair entrence is where it always was but its been completly re-profiled and its much better not as steep as it was and you no longer have to drive through a cue of people now we were escoreted in but you basicaly now enter the building via a door that opens into the left hand train loading area aporx where the old fast pass wait area was

So its much better for getting a chair around ....

big downside (so it turned out for me) is you miss the pre show video that tells you how to set the head set up and that you have the option to ride with subtiles

Also not good is you can only get to the ride with a chair via the right hand side path i e so blade is on your left and that is a very steep path on the return and mean you have to come all the way up to sub and the arcade to get round to nemmy.
MakoMania wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
No one that I talk to even knows Galactica exists, maybe that's why it's quiet. They've left the TV ads a bit late in the school holidays imo, they probably have good reasons why they left it though.
I wouldn't mind betting they had to wait for the new tax /accounts year so they had a budget for the advert
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to merge double post
mezza

Justin wrote:An interesting article from Digital Spy regarding the operations of Galactica.

Galactica Tested: Alton Towers' new VR coaster isn't out of this world
The future is here, but is it really the future of theme parks?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/feature/ ... his-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's funny how the overall gist of this review is very reminiscent of the general reception to Air when it first opened in 2002: It's a great, groundbreaking innovation that allows the experience of flight in a new way, but it feels a little unfinished, has a lot of niggles (Air was very unreliable in its first year), and ultimately, isn't quite as thrilling as it could be.