Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
charlie_ball10

I'm not new to this forum because i've been reading it for a long time now, but this is my first post so, hi.

I really hope that they don't retheme air to Phalanx or anything like that because all of the big six at Alton Towers are themed around a kind of horror

The Smiler - Creepy MOJ people march around and quite frankly the whole MOJ theme is creepy
Oblivion - The name, you're gonna die etc
Nemesis - Alien Creature
Th13teen - Sinister, creepy forest that's cursed or something like that
Rita - Overrun by Th13teen

Don't do the same with air or SW8 for that matter!
Nemesis x10 in 30 minutes on 2/5/15
Stan.H

charlie_ball10 wrote:I'm not new to this forum because i've been reading it for a long time now, but this is my first post so, hi.

I really hope that they don't retheme air to Phalanx or anything like that because all of the big six at Alton Towers are themed around a kind of horror

The Smiler - Creepy MOJ people march around and quite frankly the whole MOJ theme is creepy
Oblivion - The name, you're gonna die etc
Nemesis - Alien Creature
Th13teen - Sinister, creepy forest that's cursed or something like that
Rita - Overrun by Th13teen

Don't do the same with air or SW8 for that matter!
Air though, doesn't really have a theme, apart from some kind of futuristic paradise... Would like it themed though, I do agree with you! :yes:
Dom

http://www.altontowers.com/2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Gah, beaten to it!

Anyway, in some sites' Scarefest coverage last weekend, they pointed out that wi-fi called 'WatchThisSpace' had appeared in the vicinity of Air, alongside the addition of several new green boxes. Is VR technology look even more likely? Perhaps something to consider is the fact that Mack own the Rollercoaster Restaurant brand, who've recently been trialing the technology at Europa Park.
Owen

Here is the desktop teaser -

Also, VR is very likely. If it were anything else worthy of a major tease like this it would have already began being constructed in my opinion :)

Also, when saving this logo -

It is named "air-space-logo". You can also see this in the web-site code. So this gives us the information the ride will not be renamed (possibly sub branded) and also it is likely to be themed around space. I'm not sure about this, but each to their own :)

EDIT: AS Lewis has stated below, the "space" may also refer to Watch This Space, although it does seem to be pointing in the space/futuristic sector :)
Last edited by Owen on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I think 'space' more comes from #WatchThisSpace, which the resort have previously used prior to announcing things.
stealthsmiler

Space seems too different of a theme which is why I think it's just referring to watch this space. Also. Couldn't it still be renamed. They wouldn't want to give away the new name by putting it in the logo title. I hope it is VR. It's something different and new for the UK and breaths life into an older coaster that doesn't fit in the theme too well. Plus it looks like it would be cheaper and easier to retheme in the future cos they would only need to change a video. Could get a great battle theme going on different to the rest. VR opens up many theming opportunities that they wouldn't be able to do with normal theming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aidan Lowe

If it is VR then I doubt I'd ever ride this again if it's mandatory to wear the tech. That's my opinion, not a fan of VR but a lot of you are excited about the prospect, and that's cool.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

I don't personally feel that the ride will be themed to space. The future I do feel is a very strong possibility though. In regards to the name, I very much doubt the ride will be renamed very heavily, "AIR: The Next Level" or something cheesy I see happening. VR I feel will be a one hit wonder, and slow down the already painfully slow dispatch time, unfortunately - if it does happen.

Of course this just speculation though :)
Aidan Lowe

Chris made an interesting comment over on TS facebook. If you go on the VR coaster website because these are individually expensive pieces of tech you may have to rent one?

http://vrcoaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rent a headset when entering a park (or bring your own)
I can't see this sitting well with customers so for a premium experience you'll be asked to rent a VR headset to experience the VR version of the ride. Also I don't think a lot of customers like wearing items others have worn previously (hoods in Molly Crowe).

The more I think about it the more I hope and pray it isn't VR. It won't sit well with the GP if their expected to pay additional for this on top of entry. From a business point of view charging for rental is genius if I'm honest. It'll be a nice steady income over the long term if it catches on and people want to experience VR.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sawboss

I like VR for playing games at home, but on a roller coaster? Doesn't sound that great, and will probably just end up like 3d where it's just an excuse for them to shove things in your face and go 'wooooooooah are you impressed yet?!'

I really like Air as it is, additional themeing and station upgrades are all I really want.
xylyx

How about AR, it could be done with some kind of visor or what have you that comes with the harness and use the new theming to interact as you shoot round.
NemesisRider

I have a feeling what I'm about to say may be a bit controversial :P

I reckon VR would be a very interesting thing to see implemented on a ride in the UK. The reception it has received on Blue Fire and Alpen Express at Europa Park has been mostly positive, but I just don't know about a ride like Air. For example (even though Air has less theming onride) a complaint about the VR headsets on Alpen Express was it took away from the theming around the ride. Air, however, has lots of interactions with the ground, especially after the inline twist, and I think VR could take away from this. Also, I reckon Air could make people feel sick with VR, as I personally find it can be a little disorienting after multiple rides. With VR it would confuse the body even more and I reckon there would be lots more vomit incidents :P VR on a flying coaster somewhere would be good to see how it worked, but it would be better on a coaster like Superman Ultimate Flight at SFGAdv where there is little to no interaction with the ground and very little theming.

What I'm personally hoping for is an expanded and more immersive theme, general revamp of the station and queue, repainted track and more theming. Whilst this isn't particularly likely as probably it's another gimmick World's First but I reckon this would keep the things we like about Air (great visuals, interaction with the ground) and change some of the common complaints like the theming compared to Nemesis' or how it feels misplaced in Forbidden Valley.

As for the new theme, I would be too sure. It's been suggested about a Phalanx aircraft before, and I honestly think they could pull that off. Make it a training aircraft for you to practice fighting the aliens with and add with a preshow that explains this and I'd be satisfied.
Ryan.B

Air-Space, it's obvious! They're theming the tunnel to a runway sponsored by RyanAir! RyanAirspace for the new name
xylyx

Maybe they'll put the hoods from Molly crowe on you as you board and you can pretend you're in space :P

Hehe if they synchronise it well the movement of your body through the air with the fake movement in vr can quell any disorientation. You'll never be able to eliminate queasiness but if it's done well it can be held at nay :)
Stan.H

It could be you on a phalanx control ship, battling the nemesis alien!!
JonDoesTT

I'd really like it to be similar to the old theme, where it's meant to be relaxing and some type of futuristic paradise type theme, but some updates to the trains, tunnels and overall look would be fantastic. I think a re-brand would be good, but if they just updated it and made it look a bit more futuristic, I'd be fine with them keeping the theme.

Credit to NemesisRider
Samwise

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the marketing was the potential of VR implementation - But with throughput in-mind, I'm unsure as to how it'll work.
Ryan.B

Air could be perfect for it, there's two stations, it could be made to fit in with the theme, and you could have a VR and Non VR station after the photo booth for the split point.
Owen

Ryan.B wrote:Air could be perfect for it, there's two stations, it could be made to fit in with the theme, and you could have a VR and Non VR station after the photo booth for the split point.
Your issue there is that disabled riders only use one station, meaning that they would not be allow to experience Air in X way ;)