Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The planning application for the enhancements and changes to Air has been approved by SMDC.
Stan.H

As a joke today I mentioned today that air would be getting enhancements for next year due to me complaining, and he went buzerk!! Then I told him they were doing anyway (and I didn't complain...) and he said it was already a good enough ride and it didn't need any 'enhancements'. But to get to the point of this post, i wounder what the GP think of the enhancements... P.S. My jokes are sometimes joke that only I get and laugh too!! (Admitting that now!) :P :P
Aidan Lowe

Emporium wrote: i wounder what the GP think of the enhancements...
They'll be fine with them? the adjustments aren't huge to the ride itself, it'll have a pre-show so you won't be bored staring at nothing, a photo op point like octonauts and some theming on the lift hill afaik.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Stan.H

I would like some water and fire and strobe effects used on the ride as well as some more 'near-misses' and maybe a mist corridoor!!
Aidan Lowe

Emporium wrote:I would like some water and fire and strobe effects used on the ride as well as some more 'near-misses' and maybe a mist corridoor!!
May be getting a bit carried away there, besides since when has Alton Towers cared to constantly use ride effects :D
JammyBand

I saw a suggestion that they would use Virtual Reality on the ride, which personally I see as very plausible!
Aidan Lowe

I sincerely hope not, there is a place for VR and its not on a roller coaster.
NemesisRider

Air isn't the right ride to get VR in my opinion, Air is so well landscaped and is generally beatiful, why take away that and swap it for VR? Also, VR would slow the loading process and isn't it only MACK at Europa Park who have tried the VR tech at the moment?
Stan.H

Andy Mc wrote:
Emporium wrote:I would like some water and fire and strobe effects used on the ride as well as some more 'near-misses' and maybe a mist corridoor!!
May be getting a bit carried away there, besides since when has Alton Towers cared to constantly use ride effects :D
Fine!! How about just the mist corridor!
stealthsmiler

NemesisRider wrote:Air isn't the right ride to get VR in my opinion, Air is so well landscaped and is generally beatiful, why take away that and swap it for VR? Also, VR would slow the loading process and isn't it only MACK at Europa Park who have tried the VR tech at the moment?
Cedar Fair are testing the tech ATM. But Mack did test it at Europa. Huss are also testing it/have tested it, on a Swinging Ship flat ride. VR definitely seems like a good way to breath life into an aging and unpopular ride.

I personally would love to see Virtual Reality on Air. I think it would provide a unique experience to the UK and would mean that Air wouldn't need to be themed as you would be wearing the VR and would mean it could be themed in a way normal theming couldn't provide for example flying around the battle with the Nemesis creature. The creature would be able to move and a real life battle could go on around you an it would link to what your'e feeling on the ride. I think people would love it - I would. I've spoken to many people who actually find Air boring so this would work well. Plus it would mean Air could be easily rethemed in the Future.
Stan.H

They could VR blade (if they don't get rid of it)
Dan

Emporium wrote:They could VR blade (if they don't get rid of it)
I believe The Blade has already been confirmed to be leaving the park before the 2016 season, so there is no possibility of this happening.
Ryan.B

If it was staying, I doubt the cost would be worth it, as it's only would only survive a few more years anyway, but it's already going this season.
Aidan Lowe

As Air is the first coaster many children of that height try before mainly the other larger attractions although I'm sure it'll provide a unique experience I still think VR should be kept away, I can just see many people feeling nausea and puking everywhere. Seeing where your going is far better than being in a virtual world where you don't see a track but your body feels the movement of it.

I agree though the track layout for Air could provide a very awesome VR experience obviously surrouding the Nemesis creature and a battle raging below. Just think wrath of the titans where they fight Kronos and he's flying pegasus in the air.

However I can just see problems arise from having such a system with lengthy delays following. Alton Towers isn't the best park for reliability regarding effects, power outages and general system malfunctions. Air has its fair whack of technical issues as is without a new VR system being introduced to it.
Sawboss

Air was the first coaster we dragged my mum on, it really is a good starter for people though she still kept her eyes closed most of the way round. But by the next day she was going on Oblivion :)

I like that it's a fairly gentle and light ride and the added theming will make it feel a bit fresher.
MakoMania

Why does everyone say Air is unreliable? Its hardly ever down!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

Themepark247360 wrote:Why does everyone say Air is unreliable? Its hardly ever down!
The many time's I've been there this year I disagree, while they may not be real lengthy stoppages which results in ridetimes reflecting this and showing it closed rest assured it has its fair share of waits due to technicalities.
MakoMania

I've never seen it down once ever in my hundreds of visits. I might just be lucky :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
stealthsmiler

Andy Mc wrote:I can just see many people feeling nausea and puking everywhere
From the testing Cedar Fair has done that apparently hasn't been found yet. As shown in this article

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themepark ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So far, the tests have found that coaster riders don’t experience motion sickness while wearing the VR headsets.
The article also states:
Depending on the results of the tests, the virtual reality headsets could be deployed on nearly any coaster at the amusement park chain’s 11 locations, including Knott’s Berry Farm, Cedar Point and Kings Island in Ohio and Kings Dominion in Virginia, Cedar Fair officials said.
If VR coasters are going to become a popular thing in some of USAs leading theme parks - the world will notice and I'm sure Merlin will want to look into bringing this into the UK and Europe.
Aidan Lowe

stealthsmiler wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:I can just see many people feeling nausea and puking everywhere
So far, the tests have found that coaster riders don’t experience motion sickness while wearing the VR headsets.
Have they taken every age group into account though? Its one thing testing it with the same group of people and then putting every age group onto a ride with that tech, each person reacts differently.

I stand by having coasters, remain purely coasters and not being forced to be in a fantasy world for some gimmick experience. If I want VR I'll buy an Oculus Rift when on open market.