Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adam.W

NemesisRider wrote:If Air is getting an upgrade, I wonder if it will be open in March, let alone February half term! In fact, perhaps next FHT could be X-Sector based for the thrill rides?
I thought the same thing :)
As it's pretty obvious that Air won't be in FHT due to rollerocaster restaurant and ride enhancements, perhaps XSector instead? It allows people to ride the smiler as it was down a lot of this season, and is relitively close to the park entrance, so that and the left hand side of the park :)
NemesisRider

So with the announcement of Sub Species: Operation Lockdown (a 2 hour scale experience based around a sewer community that has been invested by a species from another world) the Phalanx have come back into the spotlight. This makes me think that firstly, Air could well be rethemed to the Phalanx. Merlin seem like they are not just leaving them to stay within NST forever.

Also, I'm thinking SW8 may have some Phalanx in the story. This I'm not so sure about as its further in advance whereas Air's changes are for next year when the foodloop opens.

Anyone else think similar things could happen?
Adam.W

When I first saw that, I immediately thought of SW8, if this has a connection to the Air retheme/enhancements, I'd be putting my bets on SW8 being phalanx related/themed. I also agree with you, Merlin want Phalanx to be more than in just NST :)
If anything, could it be a possibility of this 'sub species' being the theme of Air? Like almost they've come back after being defeated in scarefest? Just a thought :)
stealthsmiler

A new sub species would work well for the Phalanx theme allowing it to expand without over doing the Nemesis creature theme and ruining Nemesis. I also thought that the new Scarefest attraction could be for SW8 (and still do) however I now think that it could be used as an opportunity to introduce the theme before its applied to Air.

I really do hope that these enhancements are a retheme, or at least tie Air into FV more as I'm not a big fan of how it is. I like it's theme and get the idea behind the oasis at the bottom of the valley however I don't think it was executed very well and instead the ride just sticks out.

It's a shame really because as much as I love all the area's of Alton Towers and the ideas behind them, I think they could all be improved on to make then truly great.
brenemmott

Could this mean and area rename?
Altonboy001

operation lockdown is where you become a phalanx agent, this could be the getting ready for the air retheme because of the photo opportunity you could become a phalanx agent and be briefed for the mission and air will be the training/ test to see if you have got what it takes perhaps called, phalanx:operation nemesis etc
Sawboss

Futuristic military organisation seems like an odd theme for a restaurant, especially one where the food whizzes around on little cars..
Adam.W

Sawboss wrote:Futuristic military organisation seems like an odd theme for a restaurant, especially one where the food whizzes around on little cars..
Ah, but a unique one ;)

I guess we don't even know if the air restaurant will be phalanx themed, it could almost be a taken over part/alienated part of air? Just a thought
cookiee_munster

I'm really intrigued by this!

It looks like there's a lot of effort that going to be going into this supposed re-theme for air to hopefully link it in with SW8.

its interesting because when an new SW has been built then usually the rides around it get a little retheme/paint job like thirteen and rita, but this... this sounds a little more extensive than that!

excited. EXCITED!
thi3teenloverboy14

Could the new theme of Air be that your being turned into a Phalanx operative and your being tested on your ability, there supposed to be a couple of animotronics these could be like fake creatures or something that you must spot to pass. Just a thought then when you do pass you ride Nemesis, then sub terra to learn about the creature then Ripsaw to get detoxed!
Could be a great idea! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Capt.Barnacles

With your mention of the surrounding Forbidden Valley rides, after thinking about this yesterday I had a moment of realisation. If you're willing to think outside of the box here, Air is the only ride that doesn't really fit into the Nemesis theme. Sub-Terra is the hatching of a baby Nemesis, Ripsaw is your detox after experiencing the 'fury' of Nemesis, and Blade is the excavation device that awoke Nemesis in the first place, 21 years ago. While yes Blade is being removed in the near future, this might again, mean we're seeing Air themed to fit in with the Nemesis story. On closer thought, I doubt we'll see Forbidden Valley renamed. As it'd involve a lot of thematic elements including preshow videos for Sub-Terra and the Nemesis legend itself being redone to fit a new name.
xylyx

To my ears Forbidden Valley is the perfect name for a militarily locked down zone full of hazardous beings, the area name is spot on :)
stealthsmiler

I think Forbidden Valley is a great name for the area and Nemesis theme. But like I said, if this is getting a Phalanx overhaul and their presence is being made more dominant, I'd like to see some kind of theming and entrance sign which makes it look like it has been sectioned off by the Phalanx to stop the general public gaining access and making it look more forbidden. There is great potential for this area and it could be updated without ruining Nemesis' original theming.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Not that any were expected, but there have been no objections to this proposal at the recent council meeting. This doesn't mean that the application has been approved just yet, but it suggests that it will more than likely get the go ahead.
Stan.H

sum1mad wrote:
Sawboss wrote:Futuristic military organisation seems like an odd theme for a restaurant, especially one where the food whizzes around on little cars..
Ah, but a unique one ;)

I guess we don't even know if the air restaurant will be phalanx themed, it could almost be a taken over part/alienated part of air? Just a thought
I guess this will put AT back on peoples map!!
Adam.W

Where else can you find a military lockdown restaurant with food flying around the place :lol
Owen

Am I the only one who feels a bit "oh, ok" about these 'air-hancements' (sorry ;) )?

I understand that the detailing and this will not be the same, but I was really hoping for something amazing as opposed to walls in the station and a new keyhole. Another thing that annoyed me is that the pre-show is not going to be part of the experience for those with ambulant disabilities, as it feels almost like those with disabilities will be missing out on part of the new experience.

I won't say I like nor dislike the plans as we know nothing about the detailing or if there will be more around the circuit, we will just have to wait and see!
MakoMania

I'm excited for Air in 2016!

It wouldn't surprise me if Merlin try to market it as a "new ride for 2016".
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

I can see Air adverts repeated with the inclusion of the roller coaster restaurant, either its own footage within the advert or just with a new for 2016 badge plastered on the end of the advert.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Adam.W

Now that a Sub Species maze has been announced too (forgot the name, not operation lockdown though), maybe AT really want to get this ready for the rumoured Sub Species theme on air? I guess kind of like sanctuary.