Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

The planning documents have been released today detailing some of the proposed improvements to Air. As explained in TowersTimes News, there are going to be changes to the station with part of the queue line becoming enclosed and a pre-show suggested. Two new theming elements are shown as well as a photo kiosk in the queue line.

It quite intriguing to see the exact theme details aren't shown which suggests the Resort want to try and keep exact details under wraps for now. Will be interesting to see exactly what the detail of this new theming is.
Ryan.B

Photo opportunity? Possibly a film sponsorship? I reckon the rides going to be renamed now.
Aidan Lowe

Theme feature encircling ride track on the lift hill, interesting. Just around where the people stand gawping at the train as it goes past.

Its nice its getting a pre-show and some TLC as the coaster doesn't fit in with the general theme of the area what so ever.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
N3m3s1s

The pre-show with the light cancelling flappy things just reminds me of Nemmy:ST, so possibly a retheme to something Phalanx?
Ryan.B

Possibly theme to fighting the nemesis creature, as the new theming element is just before you go above nemesis. Maybe the trains are some sort of flying weapon?
Justin

This is what I posted last May...
dropkick10 wrote:Air is a cool ride, however it could receive a retheme.
Instantly what comes to mind is an army base, fighting against Nemisis. Riders are recruited and initiated into Project A I R. They are strapped into military technology (jet packs?), riders then fight for the cause.

As much as I love Air, it would be nice if it had a repaint. It could be painted camouflage.
As some suggested in http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=38946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it could incorpate Phalanx.
JammyBand

This is really, really interesting. Finally we could be seeing Forbidden Valley becoming an integrated area with consistency! Could also link to SW8 and how that may also fit into the existing area. Also, this scarefest there is due to be a Phalanx scarezone (I think located in Forbidden Valley), so it would make sense that these ride enhancements also link to a consistent Phalanx/Nemesis theme throughout.
Justin

Thinking further on this, the photo opportunity could be Phalanx ID cards. Similar to the Octonauts Cadet ID cards they currently offer for sale!
Ryan.B

Maybe the circle you go through could be a portal, where you are transported to the outside, or to nemesis, a fighting type of theme could fit in, but more of like a superhero as you are in the superman position. I guess this means no repaint/ colour scheme , or would that be able to be done without planning permission?
JammyBand

Ah, I would absolutely LOVE for Air to be Phalanx/Nemesis themed. I can totally see the concept working to do with the ride type (flying coaster could suggest some sort of weapon for example), however the actual ride layout would not warrant an intense theme such as this, especially without very extensive theming throughout the whole layout. Air is very graceful and features calm colours, so how would they incorporate these factors into a Phalanx theme?
Ryan.B

Sky force at pleasure beach has pilot I.D cards so if it is a jet pack theme like drop kick suggested it could be pilot I.D or something of the sort!
JammyBand

We could all be drastically incorrect and it is in fact enhancements to the current theme of Air, but the strip curtains, pre-show areas and partitioned ride loading bays would suggest a new theme to the ride (and suggest something military/intimidating)?
NemesisRider

I don't know to be honest. I think I'm one of the few who really loves Air as it is, the music and colour schemes make it different. I get that it's inconsistent with the rest of the area, but to me the "oasis" feels like it's own sub-area. Whilst I'm doubtless that a phalanx type theme could fit, Air is the only Alton Towers ride that is a "hero" (in marketing terms it's not a challenge you must overcome, it's a good thing, an experience) and people have sometimes said the themes of mystery and horror are very prevalent, almost default with Alton Towers coasters.

Whatever happens, I'm definitely focusing on Air riding for the remainder of the season. If it's a retheme then we may not be riding Air when it reopens in February or March. If it keeps the theme, it'll be a different experience. I hope I don't sound negative but Air is one of my favourite rides!
Ryan.B

I'm thinking a major sponsorship or a phalanx theme, I'm going to think Ohalanx now as I can't see that many improvements for a sponsorship, could be anything at this point, we won't know until later on.
Dom

What is interesting about the plans is that they reveal a fair bit of information, whilst at the same time revealling aboslutely nothing. Its quite clever.

I personally hope they do keep the oasis feel of Air and just improve it with a few water features and a couple of oasis themed near misses. The idea of it becoming part of the Phlanax 'control' is slightly over rated in my opinion. I get that it is more than likely, given the plans, but i just really hope it doesn't.

If it does come under Phalanx 'control' than wouldn't a blue track look, ummmm, out of place? We automatically associate Phalanx with dark colours and Air is a bit to bright.
Luce

I'd like the new elements to fit in with the current theme but enhance the ride experience and also fit in with the new restaurant.

I also agree with Dom in that not revealing much is clever but also will be interesting to see what the final outcome will be :)
Sawboss

Add me to the people hoping it's an enhancement to the current theme. The oasis theme makes Air stand out a bit and gives the area a pleasant feeling. Also I like the music, best theme after the Smilers.
cookiee_munster

dropkick10 wrote:This is what I posted last May...
dropkick10 wrote:Air is a cool ride, however it could receive a retheme.
Instantly what comes to mind is an army base, fighting against Nemisis. Riders are recruited and initiated into Project A I R. They are strapped into military technology (jet packs?), riders then fight for the cause.

As much as I love Air, it would be nice if it had a repaint. It could be painted camouflage.
As some suggested in http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=38946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it could incorpate Phalanx.
I was about 17 when Air first opened. at the time, the theme i thought was pretty cool but i never liked how it contrasted so much next to nemesis and the other rides in Forbidden Valley.

The whole oasis theme... it just kind of feels lame with it being in the same area at nemesis etc. either give it its own land, or finally theme it to integrate with the rest of the land...
stealthsmiler

I hope it's a retheme with Air renamed and relaunched with the new restaurant. I don't see why they would invest in it without seeing increase in park numbers. I personally hope the ride is rethemed into Phalanx with the entire FV getting a Phalanx style overhaul. This means that Nemesis and N:ST would be able to stay the same. The area could remain the same but make it look like its being shut off from the public and kept secret by Phalanx by including new entrance signs etc.

Getting back to Air. I came up previously with a retheme idea for Air, which after reading the article, would work well with what they are adding.
Air would be rethemed around the baby monster from N:ST. After hatching and causing havoc in its building, it escaped. It was then surrounded in the middle or Air. Rather than restrain it like they did the mother, they are just going to kill it, for the safety of mankind. Air's entrance could be like an army recruitment centre, recruiting people the fight against the monster. The TV screens in the queue would show videos on what they have to do, the risks involved etc, and should give the impression that the riders will die, without overtly saying it. At the station riders are strapped into Phalanx's secret weapon and sent off to kill the monster. The riders queuing for Air shouldn't be able to see into the station. Rather than gates, there would be doors. They would then enter to see an empty train (which has the appearance of blood etc), giving the impression that the previous riders failed to kill the monster and they have died, hence why the coaster carries on fighting the beast, it never wins.
My addition would be that the pre-show (something which I personally think would make all the coasters a better themed, world class attraction - I also think N:ST could be reworked into a pre-show for Nemesis) is a final brief before take off. Air would also need repainting. This along with the (well themed) restaurant could be the relaunch of FV ready for the opening of SW8 which would move away from the Nemesis story and have more of a Phalanx story. (I do love Nemesis' but Phalanx could be extended more)

What ever they do though, I hope it (plus SW8) doesn't ruin FV which is how I feel about The Smiler. If the whole area had been rethemed to tie in more (rather than just a sign which no one will read), it would've worked great.
NemesisRider

If Air is getting an upgrade, I wonder if it will be open in March, let alone February half term! In fact, perhaps next FHT could be X-Sector based for the thrill rides?