Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

True, that never clicked haha! :clap:

Its a nice picture of Air posted today* :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TH14TEEN

Well, of course, any picture of Alton towers is nice :D
Altonboy001

by the looks of it i think that photo was taken during the days that the park was closed after the crash?
Luviico

Ew, Galactica sounds like something you would find at Blackpool pleasure beach and not very AT like. I know Air isn't that great of a name but it fits in with the theme and I have always loved the relaxing theme it had including the soundtrack. I for one am not liking the rumours flying about regarding the 'new experience'. I agree that more should be done to liven up the look of the ride, queue line and surrounding areas (the tunnel has always looked especially awful) but I do not think that VR is necessary and I'm not one for gimmicks, all you need is a good ride! If VR is added and is optional then fair enough but I would not be trying it, I agree with others that it would make the majority of people feel dizzy at varying levels. Then we come to the throughput issue, Air continuously has one of the longest queue times because of this issue and the addition of VR will only add to the problem plus it would be much more difficult to incorporate into a flying coaster anyway. Air has been one of my top 2 coasters at the park since the first time I rode it and I just don't think it needs a re-theme, for nostalgic reasons I will resent it.
Aidan Lowe

Think the majority of us were saying the exact same thing regarding The Smiler when it was announced as the name of the ride back in 2013. This is just a presumption by the way nothing is confirmed until we hear it direct from AT.

We know its undergoing alterations, we know Galactica was trademarked and is said to be involved in heavy merchandise usage. We know the current Air stock was reduced to sell through which leads to think of a re-name/re-brand. We have heard from Shaun Sanbrooke and guess work that VR could be on its way given the prepare for a new flight slogan with the addition to watchthisspace possibly relating to a space themed version of the ride.
Sawboss

Hope people don't go there expecting it to be Battlestar Galactica themed :lol
JonDoesTT

I think a space theme is good, especially if they make it fit in with the nemesis story. They could have some type of Phalanx space mission to destroy the other nemesis creatures, called project Galatica. The pre-show could be a mission briefing and if it does include VR, it would be like a flight through space. Just an idea :lol

Credit to NemesisRider
Stan.H

If Air V.2. Is going to be themed around space, I think it would be pretty neat to put a star cloth in the 'tunnel' you go through before the lift hill. Just an idea! :lol
Rita Fan

I think if it was a space theme, this story could be a good one.

The air ride vehicles are space shuttles. They are launching off into space to find were the nemesis monster came from. Virtual reality could simulate going round space. Just had this idea, should you have any concerns feel free to contact me.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Sawboss

Is Nemesis' backstory that the monster actually came from space though? I suppose it could have a Lavos from ChronoTrigger thing going on. I prefer it to have unknown origins, is it terrestrial or extraterrestrial? Is it natural or magical? Is it from another plane of existence all together? Who knows... ;)
Liam.W

I'm not sure where the nemesis creature came from tbh, all we know is it was found during an excavation.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

JonDoesTT

Rita Fan wrote:I think if it was a space theme, this story could be a good one.

The air ride vehicles are space shuttles. They are launching off into space to find were the nemesis monster came from. Virtual reality could simulate going round space. Just had this idea, should you have any concerns feel free to contact me.
That's basically what I said :lol

Credit to NemesisRider
Rita Fan

Not really...
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Dom

I'm sure that what ever they do with Air will only benefit the ride. It is looking a bit tired and old now, so this re-vamp can only be a good thing. Plus does Air really need the full on Nemesis link?
JonDoesTT

Not a full on nemesis link, but something so it fits in with the area, because the old theme seemed very out of place in my opinion. But yeah, I agree, any change will benefit the ride.

Credit to NemesisRider
Dom

JonDoesTT wrote:Not a full on nemesis link, but something so it fits in with the area, because the old theme seemed very out of place in my opinion. But yeah, I agree, any change will benefit the ride.
Just because it didn't look like it didn't have a Nemesis link doesn't mean it doesn't. Air was always meant as the oasis. The safe place from the Nemesis creature. So technically it already does have the Nemesis link, be it a small one. :)
SkuM001

smileradvocate1 wrote:I'm not sure where the nemesis creature came from tbh, all we know is it was found during an excavation.
Nobody knows where it came from. Nobody knows what it wants.
Tyarith

Something in which I decided to make...

Thoughts? :P

Justin

I quite like Air, but I look forward to seeing how this retheme plays out.

Personally, I would like to see air rethemed with Phalanx on earth with a military operation theme. They could then #taketotheair to fight the Nemesis creature! I'm not sure if the space theme would really work, unless this is part of a long term strategy for Forbidden Valley.
Aidan Lowe

VR has also been tested on Freedom Flyer suspended family coaster in Orlando while IAAPA is going on.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Student made VR sequence set in space to Blue Fire - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VR Coaster won the IAAPA 2015 Brass Ring Award, Second Place in "Best New Product"!