Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SkuM001

Jared wrote:Cadbury's will be sponsoring the ride next season.
When did Cadbury's sponsorship end the first time around? Interesting scenario to have a ride originally sponsored by Cadbury's rebranded and then sponsored by Cadbury's again.
TH14TEEN

Wouldn't put if past them, but I've heard nothing of this. If if means we finally get confectionary other than nestle available on resort then I'm all for it.
Jammydodger

Can anyone with VR experience explain to me how they can say with absolute certainty that the headset won't fall off during the ride? I mean the park are ridiculously strict about loose articles compared to most parks. I understand that there's strap and it'll secure in nicely, but whats to stop someone messing with this strap, or it ends up making its way loose?
Aidan Lowe

If it is I doubt they'd be any guarantee.

The headset strapping are pretty tight & its not a forceful ride it'll knock it off on its own (plus your constantly altering your head to be level with the train) so should a headset ever fall it'll be due to customer tampering which I'm hopeful they'll enforce a 'you break it, you pay for it' rule.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Steven2703

Ok, if it is VR ... then what would be the point of added theming elements around the ride? Or have I got the plans all wrong?

Not keen on the VR idea, myself.
Aidan Lowe

VR wouldn't be mandatory. It would be an optional add-on experience for a price I'd imagine.
xylyx

That's why I thought AR: with the theming elements triggering different things on your visor. They could also be used as hotspots to boost the WiFi signal as it's fairly ropey in places and you don't want the signal tripping out half way around.
MakoMania

I think it would be impossible for towers to issue just headsets because they are liable to fall off, especially on a flying coaster! They would have to work the headset into the restraints somehow.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

xylyx wrote:That's why I thought AR: with the theming elements triggering different things on your visor. They could also be used as hotspots to boost the WiFi signal as it's fairly ropey in places and you don't want the signal tripping out half way around.
I was chatting to some of the other forumers about this instead of VR. I'd much prefer AR as it could enhance your experience instead of completely changing it. To add to this, you could still enjoy the near misses, tunnels and the parts such as the "photo point" on the lift and the turnaround where riders often wave to viewers.
Aidan Lowe

Pretty much confirmed this morning that it'll be Air: Galactica / VR as suspected.

Alton Towers response to @ProjectHitch custom artwork: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very impressive! #aheadofthegame! #watchthisspace! #Nospoilersplease :-)
Looking back at station plans. It appears there will be strip curtains like The Smiler building at every entrance point to the station. With studwork walls at 1.8m surrounding the ride platform/airgates so it'll be quite dark/concealed inside the station unlike today

A fast track queue is also leading to the right hand station (station 2) only. I believe this'll be the main station whereas the left station (the one we normally board) will become possible a VR only dispatch. Exciting.
xylyx

Air Galactica, all we need now is a sponsorship from Nike and you could sell the world's first shoe based on a rollercoaster :P

Totally enclosed stations are interesting I wonder if they'll keep the lighting and everything the same inside?
Dom

Air:Galactica isn't confirmed. As far as I can tell, that is just fan art and not actually anything to do with Alton Towers themselves
Speedy_no1

Andy Mc wrote:Pretty much confirmed this morning that it'll be Air: Galactica / VR as suspected.

Alton Towers response to @ProjectHitch custom artwork: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very impressive! #aheadofthegame! #watchthisspace! #Nospoilersplease :-)
Looking back at station plans. It appears there will be strip curtains like The Smiler building at every entrance point to the station. With studwork walls at 1.8m surrounding the ride platform/airgates so it'll be quite dark/concealed inside the station unlike today

A fast track queue is also leading to the right hand station (station 2) only. I believe this'll be the main station whereas the left station (the one we normally board) will become possible a VR only dispatch. Exciting.
No it's not pretty much confirmed. That's fan made. Read towers reply properly. They don't admit to anything.
Aidan Lowe

I'm not on about the image I know that's fanmade, but when their reply in response to it the use of hashtags intrigued me, for them to say for him to not spoil it and that he's ahead of the game that to me is confirming he is along the right tracks..

I posted my wallpaper to them via FB and they said pretty much the same and that patience is a virtue, more revealed soon.
xylyx

And mine was more of a joke :P

Not necessarily a good one but hey ho. I know it's far too early now, I'll bet they want to get Christmas out if the way before releasing anything substantial, but I wonder what their timeline is for revealing more?
Aidan Lowe

Alton Towers did a big chunk of Christmas reveals/promo this week with Santa arriving at the resort and revealing the Emporium detailing on their YouTube channel.

If I were Alton Towers I'd do a large reveal for this on December 15 when a British Army Major is to be Britain's first astronaut for the ESA (European Space Agency) and on launch day. This in my opinion would be an awesome date to reveal a space themed Air makeover.

I didn't like the idea of all this to begin but its slowly growing on me. The station being enclosed, the new color scheme, the restaurant & VR will all be a breath of fresh air.
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:Alton Towers did a big chunk of Christmas reveals/promo this week with Santa arriving at the resort and revealing the Emporium detailing on their YouTube channel.

If I were Alton Towers I'd do a large reveal for this on December 15 when a British Army Major is to be Britain's first astronaut for the ESA (European Space Agency) and on launch day. This in my opinion would be an awesome date to reveal a space themed Air makeover.

I didn't like the idea of all this to begin but its slowly growing on me. The station being enclosed, the new color scheme, the restaurant & VR will all be a breath of fresh air.
Was that meant to be a pun at the end? :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

The font used on the promotional artwork is Raleway in case anyone is interested. The specific Raleway types are Raleway bold and Raleway light.
Aidan Lowe

Fencing & on-site containers have been put up within the last few days as seen from TPW tweet here.

Nothing currently visibly happening on Air. (taken from the lift hill by Liam Shepherd today)

TH14TEEN

Can't have been today. The trees are far too green. That is the summer.