Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rita Fan

I was only saying
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Sawboss

If the delay when you turn your head is negated then it should be ok for MOST people to ride, that's what causes the really bad sickness. If that's minimised and the video perfectly matches the movements of the track depending on which seat your sitting in they hopefully it shouldn't be too bad ;)
Rita Fan

I suppose
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

TH14TEEN

Air is VR and will be called galactic. It is dark navy blue track and air blue supports.
Morgan

Any source?
TH14TEEN

Yes, but not for disclosure.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Galactica is a recently registered Trademark by Merlin Entertainments. It's not much of a leap to assume it's for this project when you take note of the current banners and logos used on the new photo sleeves.
TH14TEEN

Absolutely. I was told the information by a source I will not be naming for obvious reasons, so don't even try. Seems fairly logical given recent developments anyway.
Ryan.B

If it is navy blue, not sure what it'll look like, would be quite strange seeing air in any different colour now :lol
xylyx

It would make new laugh if after all this speculation galactica was the new name for the smiler :P

But anyway, standing in the queue yesterday I was pondering how they would fit a pre show in, and what it would be like, I can't remember the plans atm does it give some idea of how big each pre show will be? I wonder because there's all sorts of level changes and weirdness with the ramps and stairs that will have to be taken into account.
TH14TEEN

The smiler will open next season under exactly the same name and theme, galactica is for air :P
Rita Fan

Hope they don't go with that name. It sounds quite corny really, and sounds like a really tacky name for a space themed ride at one of those roadside carnivals

Aidan Lowe

Something like a chase or be chased by scene could be decent. Sort of like this video here.

The second drop on Air (photo point) you could be flying toward the alien with it heading straight for you, you fly down and underneath it, then the fly-to-lie you see your flying underneath it. The in-line twist could be you maneuvering out of harms way etc.

Another thing I don't particuarly like about VR on a coaster, you get immersed into the world of sight but not sound. You'll still hear the screams and coaster going around the track.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TH14TEEN

Yeah, it will be good for keeping crowds away from other coasters. I hate air and still will by the sounds of it.
Adam.W

According to AT's Twitter, photos from air are no longer being sold due to the refurbishment. I also noticed that in the Air shop last Monday that most of the merch in the air shop has been sold, including all/nearly all of the air merch, and only generic 'feel the rush' jumpers and general AT merch.
Rita Fan

Heh. Thank god I got my air on ride photo last July!

Owen

If this ride is VR, The 'pre-show' is likely going to be a briefing room for how to wear and treat the equipment - and considering that disabled riders will not see this gives me the indecation that it will not be anything absolutely massively experience altering :)

As for what TH14TEEN is saying, we can't be sure either way (although I quite like the idea). Also surely you may be getting your source into trouble revealing quite so much about this project. I am not stating you are lying or not but I'd suggest you be careful what you say publicly! ;)
NemesisRider

Owen wrote:If this ride is VR, The 'pre-show' is likely going to be a briefing room for how to wear and treat the equipment - and considering that disabled riders will not see this gives me the indecation that it will not be anything absolutely massively experience altering :)
That's a very good point Owen. Either they are informed by a ride host about how to use the VR or they won't find out at all, which I can't see Merlin doing. Again, I'm personally hoping that it's not VR due to the extended wait times, I'd rather it is just generally improved or receives new trains. Onboard audio might even be an interesting thing to see if it improves the experience and it would technically make it a "new flight".
Adam.W

NemesisRider wrote:Onboard audio might even be an interesting thing to see if it improves the experience and it would technically make it a "new flight".
I like this idea :clap:
Jack

NemesisRider wrote:
Owen wrote:If this ride is VR, The 'pre-show' is likely going to be a briefing room for how to wear and treat the equipment - and considering that disabled riders will not see this gives me the indecation that it will not be anything absolutely massively experience altering :)
That's a very good point Owen. Either they are informed by a ride host about how to use the VR or they won't find out at all, which I can't see Merlin doing. Again, I'm personally hoping that it's not VR due to the extended wait times, I'd rather it is just generally improved or receives new trains. Onboard audio might even be an interesting thing to see if it improves the experience and it would technically make it a "new flight".
If this does turn out to be VR, I very much doubt throughput will be affected, at least it won't affect it by much, as I can't imagine they will implement it in a way that affects queue times for the ride. I mean, Europa Park are going to implement this fully on one of their rides by the looks of things next year, and they are one of the best parks in the world for throughputs! :)