Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

Ride has been closed for two full days now. Does anyone know if this is VR related or something else?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
vesty21

While down there yesterday afternoon I seen it go up the lift hill very slowly then stop for a minute or so then carry on, surely they wouldn't do VR testing over a bank holiday weekend?
DeadJack5

vesty21 wrote:While down there yesterday afternoon I seen it go up the lift hill very slowly then stop for a minute or so then carry on, surely they wouldn't do VR testing over a bank holiday weekend?

Possibly. I'm not sure how testing with VR works. If there were passengers with headsets on testing, then it could be testing to make sure the VR aligns with the track and movements on each carriage.

I think it could definitely be VR testing, whether it be testing when in a E-Stop situation or maybe pin pointing the VR sequence. Also could just be general matinencr whilst the ride is shut.
Dan says hi

I was just thinking that something must surely be wrong with the Galactica VR for them still not to have it working by now as it should have been ready for the start of the resin and it's now May. They've had nearly 2 months to get it sorted.

Also as a side note Galactica has been closed for some of the day today and apparently it will be tomorrow as well.
Bert

Dan says hi wrote:I was just thinking that something must surely be wrong with the Galactica VR for them still not to have it working by now as it should have been ready for the start of the resin and it's now May. They've had nearly 2 months to get it sorted.

Also as a side note Galactica has been closed for some of the day today and apparently it will be tomorrow as well.
The reason Galactica is down alot this season is the VR itself even though its not operated this season. (Been told by a ride manager a few weeks ago).

And we also know that the Vector VR is being redone, with the possibilty of new videos with the new signs at the exit. What I think is that Galactica is suffering with some electrical problem with the VR this season.

I've asked a ride manager when the VR will be back, She didn't know, I've also asked the social media team, they don't know, and I've emailed Figment, No responce. Also Figment have redone the second segment of VR on DBGT and Shaman and it's rumoured that it's them doing Kraken Unleashed and Galactica has taken a backseat with new content. But it is to be remembered that this isn't like that this isn't like the Six Flags/Mack Media VR where the VR is pre-made with various settings and the video is adjusted to the ride layout, Figment's Vector VR v1 was done by scratch using ~15 different programing platforms(Eg C++ or Java) and used the Samsung Gear VR with the Samsung Galaxy S7's. Whereas now its Pico Neo headsets and probably a new coding program and whilst testing they have discovered a technical problem with installing it, hence its downtime.

Wow, that was a long post for me, I've rambled quite a bit but I hope it explains your question! :D
[Insert Signature Here]
Lee

I appreciate what you are saying Bert, however Rides Manages and the social media teams will not answer questions on information that is still confidential. I would always take employee comments on park in none official statements with a huge pinch of salt. I do however think you are quite right with there potentially being issues with migrating to the new physical tech.

It was my first visit this weekend and whilst it was enjoyable to do Air again, I am disappointed with the Resort in their lack of advertising of the VR element being none operational. As Dan has said, it is now almost mid May and they still haven't ran this live with VR.
Nickolai

Now the DBGT of Alton Towers Resort...
Formally Smiler313
Owen

The ride is, once again, closed all day. Rumours state it's to get the VR up and running but no one knows for sure. :|
Robert.W

I've always thought it would be quite cool if you could go on a different galactical adventure depending on which station you choose to go in, but I suppose that would be a bit complicated with the VR and might unbalance the queues if people were to favour one VR adventure that the other.

Justin

While it would add another layer of interest to the ride, it wouldn't be logical. I also believe it would also unbalance the queues and lead to even greater waiting times. It would work if they were to assign random journeys to headsets in both stations.
Owen

I'd personally like them to fix the current version first :lol

However I agree with Justin. A different location in each headset would work much better!
Robert.W

Justin wrote:While it would add another layer of interest to the ride, it wouldn't be logical. I also believe it would also unbalance the queues and lead to even greater waiting times. It would work if they were to assign random journeys to headsets in both stations.
They would be able to do it if they alternated the VR recordings. If the train was in station one with recording one, then automatically after recording two would get ready to play and the train would go in to station two to load new passengers... would this not work?

Owen

Galactica has remained closed for 6 days now, and is still yet to work properly in 2017 :|
OhShambhala

Way its going, cant see the vr lasting another 5 years. No loss really.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
ThemeCrafter264

From what I have heard, Shaman still hasn't operated with vr so there may be an issue vr wise
Justin

Robert W wrote:
Justin wrote:While it would add another layer of interest to the ride, it wouldn't be logical. I also believe it would also unbalance the queues and lead to even greater waiting times. It would work if they were to assign random journeys to headsets in both stations.
They would be able to do it if they alternated the VR recordings. If the train was in station one with recording one, then automatically after recording two would get ready to play and the train would go in to station two to load new passengers... would this not work?
It would still create unbalanced queues. If these were to reach the photo point for either station then this would cause a bottleneck, therefore increase waiting times for the main queue. At present, queues are evenly spread.
Robert.W

Justin wrote:
Robert W wrote:
It would still create unbalanced queues. If these were to reach the photo point for either station then this would cause a bottleneck, therefore increase waiting times for the main queue. At present, queues are evenly spread.
Fair enough, I rest my case!

Justin

It is a nice idea though :)
Robert.W

Justin wrote:It is a nice idea though :)
Just thought it would add a bit more variety to the experience. I thought people might get bored with the VR after a while. I actually presume the AT will be changing the VR every few years anyway (if it lasts that long anyway!)

Dan

Galactica has reopened today after its recent period of downtime however it is not yet known if the Virtual Reality is operational too.