Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RobHand

Well the time had come for me to have my first VR experience yesterday. And I have to say I was very much impressed. The wait time for the ride was 30 minutes (Displayed as 20 but I won't complain). I went on it with my little sister who is only 10. She was very nervous as this was to be the first roller coaster she would have ridden that goes "upside down". I managed to convincer her that they aren't as scary as they are made out to be and she agreed to ride it with me as she too was exited to try the VR.

My experience was pleasant and It was very easy to forget that you are even on a roller coaster at times. For me it felt like I was on a ride simulator that has wind blowers and the seat could turn you 360. I got so immersed in the experience that mid ride I looked down to where my hands should of been to notice they weren't there, and it made me question why they weren't but then I remembered that I was on the ride :lol .

I must admit that the quality of the VR wasn't crystal clear like most people imagined, and sometimes the edges of objects looked blurred, but for the majority of the ride you can see clear (especially the beginning and the part you go through the cracked ice, that was my favourite). I get where people were saying there is parts where the ride shakes and its hard to see due to it, but I found holding the headset fixed the issue and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Overall It impressed me and later went on it again and I was just as satisfied. I think maybe because it was my first VR experience but It will be so many other peoples as well. To stop it from becoming re-petative I am sure they will update the destinations.

But well done from me to the staff as they were polite and made sure my little sisters head strap was tight enough. She enjoyed it just as much as me (I am yet to make a enthusiast out of her :lol )
MakoMania

Didn't know whether to put this in the Galactica thread or Rollercoaster Restaurant thread but the ride will be open from 6pm on 6th September for Rollercoaster Restaurant guests despite the theme park being closed on that date :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Justin

Liam.W wrote: Regarding my post the other week about putting holes in the headset covers to prevent overheating, I have noticed that they have only applied holes on certain headsets, as I saw some with and some without holes.

Also, throughputs also seem to be getting slightly, slightly quicker in my opinion!
This seems to be correct. Over the past few days, I have noticed headsets with no adjustments, some with large holes drilled into the plastic which can be felt under the headset fabric cover and some with small holes through the plastic and fabric cover.

Throughput does seem to be quicker too!
Adam.W

Justin wrote:
Liam.W wrote: Regarding my post the other week about putting holes in the headset covers to prevent overheating, I have noticed that they have only applied holes on certain headsets, as I saw some with and some without holes.

Also, throughputs also seem to be getting slightly, slightly quicker in my opinion!
This seems to be correct. Over the past few days, I have noticed headsets with no adjustments, some with large holes drilled into the plastic which can be felt under the headset fabric cover and some with small holes through the plastic and fabric cover.

From what I've seen, they've been testing the holes on different trains, possibly to see if the holes have an impact on the temperature of the headsets.
Justin

They need do this for all trains as the headsets get VERY hot.
Last edited by Justin on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liam.W

Adam.W wrote:
Justin wrote:

From what I've seen, they've been testing the holes on different trains, possibly to see if the holes have an impact on the temperature of the headsets.
I don't think it is a case of testing them on different trains/crafts. In my original post when I said "I saw some with and some without holes", I saw this on one train/craft, so on the same train/craft there was some seats with holes and some without.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Justin

They were certainly mixed on the trains I saw.
vikkimoo

My first time riding Galactica yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! I was never a massive fan of Air anyway - I don't like heights so didn't enjoy the awkward position the ride has you in. We got to the park for 10am and went straight over to FV to see if we could get on Galactica...pretty much walked on, only had to queue from inside the black plastic flaps. It was easy enough to get the headset on, I couldn't get it as focused as I would like but a) I had my contact lenses in and b) I have astigmatism in both eyes so have funky eyes to begin with! I actually really enjoyed it and for me it made me forget how high up the ride goes. My main issue was that when you turn over onto your back, the headset whacked me in the face then tried to fall off, even though I had it on quite tightly (I thought!). I also thought like others have said that the story has a bit of an abrupt end, but I guess they only have a certain time length due to the length of the ride. I would ride it again though. Boyfriend who was a massive Air fan was also really impressed.
Justin

Having been on Galactica a few times now, I still really enjoy it. I have noticed that they have made improvements to the VR as I experienced no rendering issues wherever I looked and that really helps. I originally thought it was short and abrupt, but after a few rides you really enjoy the story!

With regards to the headset falling off when on your back, sometimes lifting your head up slightly helps.
stealthsmiler

Got my first ride on Galactica today. Have to say that I loved it. It all worked fine for me and I had a very clear picture. However I did find the VR headset uncomfortable however bearable. In spite of this I do think it was a bad idea to retheme Air and that it should have stayed as it was for a few reasons.

Firstly throughout was awful due to half empty trains going around due to broken headsets. This obviously wasn't an issue when it was air.

Secondly. I feel that the coast is wasted with the VR. Whilst you get the sensation of flying whilst riding when it's over and take off your headset, you don't actually feel like you've been anywhere.

I personally think Alton would have been better to install VR chairs inside a building and had Galactica as a whole new ride, meaning they would have added to the ride line up, and would have cushioned the blow to the ride removals this year. The VR chairs set out in a row like a coaster train with added wind effects etc would have been able to give the same sensation as Galactica does without loosing Air as a ride and they would have them been able to get a whole new dark ride added to the line up, with a whole new pre show that would have felt like part of the ride and a second photo op and merch to make money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xylyx

That do still have AIR as by all accounts you can now ride without the headset :)

Having Galactica as a simulator would only have been a bonus in that you could do a full journey that isn't tied to the length of the ride. Personally though i much prefer the sensation of travel that you get from being on the coaster.
Jammydodger

Was disappointed to find out yesterday that they leave all their headsets on standby overnight instead of switching them off. How do I know this, and why does it bother me? Because half of the headsets now seem to have a standby message burned into their screens which can be seen throughout the ride.

I'm almost impressed at how little thought went into some of the technological aspects of this ride.
Owen

This message has been in the headsets since it's early operation. I thought it was just me at first but it seems a lot are noticing it.

I suppose it's not all bad, at least they didn't use the Note 7 :P
Sawboss

Owen wrote:I suppose it's not all bad, at least they didn't use the Note 7 :P
Now that would be a visually impressive ride! Maybe they're saving that for this years fireworks.
Owen

Indeed, the fire planet might actually feel warm as well! :O
Sawboss

Tried Galactica for the first time on Friday. After waiting about 1 hour 20 minutes, couldn't get the straps on properly so held the visor in place on the ride. The movement on a lot of objects looked jittery and I did feel a very slight sickly feeling during the ride.

The problem I had was at no point did I feel like I was looking at anything other than a video playing on a screen, and that is pretty integral to effective VR.

The following day I rode without the visor and remembered how much a enjoyed Air. You can see Nemesis roaring around below you, the beautiful tall trees and scenery of the park. You can see the drops (which gives them more of an effect), the floor shooting past in front of you, the vast open sky as you're flipped onto your back and it still gives me that sensation of flight.

I went onto the ride with an open mind, I think VR is very enjoyable but either the technology/chosen hardware is not up to scratch or maybe VR coasters are just not for me.

Or maybe I just had a bad run, who knows.
quackers

Not a fan of Galactica at all. I want Air back. I went on again later in the day and refused the headsets, which you could claim was 'Air' but it was not because queuing times were so much longer while they mess around with the headsets, have to argue with staff that i don't want my picture taken at that silly thing they try to get your to put your head in during the queue, and have to endure that annoying video in the station over and over again (because queueing now takes forever). Add to the fact i felt a sick the whole day which only came on immediately after coming off Galactica you could say i have a hatred for the ride now. Way to go Alton Towers, wreck my favourite ride.
Justin

I still stand by Galactica. Having another go on it at the weekend just reinforces my love towards the ride. It adds a new element and freshens up an area of the park that really needed it! I love/d Air but it looked tired, but walking into the area now adds excitement!

I do agree that Galactica could have been achieved by other means, but the park seem to have relaxed the rules about enforcing headsets over recent months so it is a win, win situation. I think the VR is a marmite addition though - you either love it or hate it, but yes, it has slowed throughput!
TuesdayNightChat

My first ride on Galactica and I enjoyed it,was quite sceptical,as air had always been a great coaster.The first drop in the VR when you go through the wormhole was outstanding.
Stellafella

Rode Galactica yesterday and the ride host actually asked do you want Air or Galactica.