Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Liam.W

So it seems like Chris Moyles has been on Galactica today, and they posted the following picture to their Facebook page:

It seems like the headsets have a new cover on them, this time with holes. Maybe the latest problem was to do with the headsets over-heating?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Tom170499

Liam.W wrote:So it seems like Chris Moyles has been on Galactica today, and they posted the following picture to their Facebook page:

It seems like the headsets have a new cover on them, this time with holes. Maybe the latest problem was to do with the headsets over-heating?
That would make sense, especially considering the hot weather we have had recently too.
Justin

Having a Samsung VR headset, the handsets do get very hot so this makes a lot of sense!
I know when I've been using my phone (S7) in the headset it is nearly too hot to touch after 30 minutes use, so just imagine Galactica's usage on the headset!
S.J_O'Grady

After having spent the day at AT with family, my mum hates the VR and wants Air back, my dad was impressed by the VR but seems to prefer Air too, whereas I love Galactica and the flying coaster/ VR combo. It certainly gets some mixed reviews!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
quackers

Went today to try it out as I loved air . Not impressed at all. First ride of the day and it made me feel sick , and the sick feeling lasted all day . I want air back . Went on it later in the day again but refused the VR , good job it's optional . Biggest annoyance now is if you want to ride it as air it takes forever while they mess around with the headsets and towards closing lots of seats were not operational because of the VR further reducing capacity and increasing wait time . Non of the mates I was with either were impressed and want it to be back like air . Don't even get me started on yet another photo thing they have added to the queue either !!!
Owen

I'm starting to feel like Galactica will soon become "New! Galactica without VR". The ride just doesn't seem to be performing and the ratio of negative to positive reviews makes me think that they will soon just give up. If it does happen I doubt anyone will be shocked - it's not like there is any longevity in the idea.
Nickolai

Soon, I would like to see more theming elements and instead it will be 'Can I ride with VR?', instead of 'Can I ride without VR?' I'm sad that it really hasn't worked out for Merlin, but I am sure if they do it without VR then customer satisfaction will rise. They could add even more of a story-line on the TV screens, instead of how to put on a VR headset on a constant loop!
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I doubt Merlin will be willing to give up the VR aspect just yet. A steep learning curve, yes, especially considering that they have brought nothing like this to their attractions before, however it is one I very much expect to be developed on Galactica.

The adverts are still running on TV and if Merlin were looking to bin it off then these would stop and the VR aspect gradually removed from literature.
Owen

I wasn't necessarily meaning this year, but in the coming years most definitely. :)
xylyx

As it's now optional I don't think they will be scrapping the VR, enough people like it to use it and opting out is simple. You do still have to wait for everyone to load but I'm guessing the time hit is something they're willing to account for.

If they start adding destinations and can stabilise the tech so it's more reliable then the folks who want AIR get their awesome ride and the folks who want Galactica get their ever changing awesome ride. Everyone wins. :)
Nickolai

It probably won't work but they could try and send VR people over the bridge and have standard riders go down and in to the right station to try and increase throughputs slightly for people who don't want to use VR. Before everyone starts yelling at me that it won't work, it seems like a suggestion. :)
Formally Smiler313
Liam.W

During the TTSP Summer Sizzler event, it was mentioned (I think, so if it wasn't I must have dreamt it) that there was the possibility that Galactica could open late during the summer holidays, similar to when it opened late during the Rollercoaster Restaurant's opening weekend. Does anyone know whether or not it has been opening late so far in the summer holidays?

theparklifekid

So yesterday I tried out Galactica for the first time, for me the VR was impressive when you went up the lift hill and the first drop, but after that it just got shaky and I couldn't focus on the various planets that it was showing. I also wasn't a fan of how abruptly it ended, I would have made the ride only have one destination, that randomises each ride.

I then rode without VR and it was as if nothing had changed with Air, I also liked going through the portal and hearing the soundtrack from below. This was how i preferred it.

My friend who has no knowledge of rollercoasters and never went on Air, also went on with me he said "The beginning bit was good as I liked how beautiful space looked, but after that it became a bit rushed, It was difficult to understand what was going on and I didn't like how it
kept on shaking in the VR." He preferred it without VR.

Overall I just found the experience "Ehhh", but still worth checking out.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Burniel

Smiler313 wrote:It probably won't work but they could try and send VR people over the bridge and have standard riders go down and in to the right station to try and increase throughputs slightly for people who don't want to use VR. Before everyone starts yelling at me that it won't work, it seems like a suggestion. :)
The problem with this is that it would dramatically increase the wait times for the VR side - running a VR Flying Coaster on one station would result in one of the slowest moving queues ever seen on a B&M.

You would also probably need a separate queue line.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Adam.W

Burniel wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:It probably won't work but they could try and send VR people over the bridge and have standard riders go down and in to the right station to try and increase throughputs slightly for people who don't want to use VR. Before everyone starts yelling at me that it won't work, it seems like a suggestion. :)
The problem with this is that it would dramatically increase the wait times for the VR side - running a VR Flying Coaster on one station would result in one of the slowest moving queues ever seen on a B&M.

You would also probably need a separate queue line.
Something like that would be practically impossible to do - every train would need to have VR on it due to the station alterations. If the stations didn't alternate then the throughput for one side of the station would be awful. 4 trains is out of the question, too, since the ride can only handle 3 trains. The flow of the two stations would also be disrupted due to the VR taking almost twice as long as no VR. Realistically the best way around this is to not have a separate station for VR and leave it as it is.
Ryan.B

Unless it built up a large queue by 6:40 onwards yesterday it was running!
RobHand

This Sunday will my first time riding as Galactica... I am going in with an open mind, as i have never experienced VR before, but with the negative reviews at the minute I am a bit sceptical (not of riding it, just how my experience will be). Whats it like for a first time VR experience?
ASturge21

RobHand wrote:This Sunday will my first time riding as Galactica... I am going in with an open mind, as i have never experienced VR before, but with the negative reviews at the minute I am a bit sceptical (not of riding it, just how my experience will be). Whats it like for a first time VR experience?
It is a strange feeling but the adrenaline rush is not there but for 1st time with VR you might be impressed but it's personal preference like you'd see from reviews on the thread also depends on wait time your opinion. If you wait too long you may be underwhelmed.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
S.J_O'Grady

RobHand wrote:This Sunday will my first time riding as Galactica... I am going in with an open mind, as i have never experienced VR before, but with the negative reviews at the minute I am a bit sceptical (not of riding it, just how my experience will be). Whats it like for a first time VR experience?
It's a very unique experience and combined with the fact that you're in an unusual position anyway, I find it's easy to forget you're on a rollercoaster. You don't get the same adrenaline rush but it's still an enjoyable experience and is done pretty well. Just make sure you get the focus right.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Liam.W

Just got back from towers after 2 days. First day I did Galactica twice but with no VR as I was put in the front both times. The portal provides a great near miss moment! So today I did it with the VR and to say I haven't done it with VR since June, I still found it boring, even though I have only ridden with VR 3 or 4 times (including today). VR was badly out of sync too (I was on row 6), when the train stopped oh the brake run, my headset was only just showing me the part where they are 'aligning up the portal' or whatever it is.

Regarding my post the other week about putting holes in the headset covers to prevent overheating, I have noticed that they have only applied holes on certain headsets, as I saw some with and some without holes.

Also, throughputs also seem to be getting slightly, slightly quicker in my opinion!