Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Can't see VR making a return next year, if it survives the full season this year. I can see the name Galactica staying though as it won't be worth the effort or money to change it back to Air. We do need to see the return of duel stations though as this would help with reduced queue times dramatically.
Scarlyboo22

I went last Thursday and waited 90 minutes to ride with VR. On every train only five people were allowed on it, I assume it was because of limited headsets.

I only queued because the entrance said half an hour. It wasted my day and the ride isn’t even as sought after because of the arrival of Smiler and Wicker Man!
streetmagix

I rode Galactica today and, wow, so I was so disappointed. Well, the coaster is still fab but the VR is terrible. I didn't ride it last year as both my visits it was either down or had a 120 minute queue. I understand the headsets are different (they were Samsung Galaxy phones in 2016) but they are so much worse. My one wasn't straight and required me to tilt my head for it to be in line, the framerate was low and I think the timing was very slightly off. I came off feeling nauseous, the only time I'be ever felt nauseous from a ride or any mode of transport. 

I actually really enjoyed Galactica in 2016 but I hate the VR now.  
Robert.W

I've never tried the VR. It just doesn't appeal to me really. I'd rather see the actual surroundings than have some screen pushed in my face. I have a real soft spot for the original Air, and whilst the change to Galactica did bring improvements in some areas, the VR is certainly not one of them. 

Justin

It is good to experience once, especially with the soundtrack but after that, it is better without VR!
Dom

I haven't done the VR either. It just doesn't appeal to me one bit, plus if its out of sync than it would set of my motion sickness and that's a risk i'd rather not take
Robert.W

I do kinda wish I'd given it a go in 2016, but now as the VR is just not as good, as well as the extra long queue for the VR rows, I'm just not bothered about it to be honest. I do love the new soundtrack and extra bits of theming that came with Galactica, although I'm glad they've reintroduced actual onride photos again. 

wamdue

Finally time for me to weigh in on this VR idea.

Oh boy, I am not coaster purest, BUT when the staff tighten your goggles, they fall off, and the same happens for those around you, I have to wonder if VR is ever going to be successful.  So on Day two of my visit, I rode it without the VR, and it was much more fun, I still liked the Stargate elements, and the themeing of the station, but the VR head sets themselves are a problem.

Talking of the themeing, I may have seen too much sci-fi, but the video in the station, might as well be followed by a movie about the AI going wrong, as it falls into a wormhole it didnt know about, its sci-fi cliche in the extreme. It would not work for the general public, but if you are going to do what looks alot like a Star Gate, get Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping in, to do a Stargate SG-1 theme.

Over all the ride is better without the VR, and seeing it go out half empty, because people favour the VR (yes I said it) it's tragic, when you are standing in a long queue.
RubyGaga

Hi all, been in the park today.

Went on Galactica and one of the ride ops told me that they are planning to remove the VR on the ride by the end of the season. Has this been mentioned before? If it does happen, I see it as an improvement.
Robert.W

I wouldn't be surprised to see it completely go. It's been a complete failure. Sooner it's gone the better, in my opinion.

DeadJack5

I could see this happening with the reception it has had over it's life span. I would say they would remove it all in the closed season and 2019 would be VR free. It's more of a hassle now for staff and a nightmare for separating guests between those wanting to wear the VR and those who don't. Whilst it would be a shame to see it go, if it means improving the throughput, I wouldn't mind seeing it leave. 

Like others have said, if it was to leave, i would prefer the theming, music and general idea still be kept. It's more than we ever had with it being Air. 
Phild94

I have never understood why they haven’t split the queue entirely to VR and non-VR with a station dedicated to each half. I know batching could be an issue but it’s likely that you could use 3 trains, 2 NVR and 1 VR.
DeadJack5

I think the issue would be how the train enters the station as coasters of this kind do switch between the stations of which you board and exit. It would be a hassle for the ops to turn on the vr and turn off for those in the vr and non vr station. The idea has been discussed in the past and it wouldn't really work looking more in depth. The current system they had I think is the best they could have done but its unfortunately still not good enough.
ROYJESS

I wouldn't be surprised if it will get a re-theme/re-name next season.  
DeadJack5

ROYJESS wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it will get a re-theme/re-name next season.  
Market it as a whole new ride? ;)

I do think it will just be the Vr removal and anything associated with the headsets
DerpyQuark

Fingers crossed it will be rethemed back to Air!
Bert

If the VR goes completely from Galactica, I wouldn't be suprised. The only part of the VR content that was good was the lift hill, the rest of it seemed a blur and it has murdered Air's capacity. We have already seen the photo booth and four rows of VR removed, so I can't imagine the last three rows of VR have a long life left. 
[Insert Signature Here]
RubyGaga

I think my partners reaction to the ride photo sums it up really ;'You look like you're having so much fun without the headset, whereas I'm just trying to keep it on my head'.
Removal of the VR would help the rides loading and dispatching times out, as well as sparing staff expenses. However I do think it would be a shame to get rid of the themeing altogether, as it works really well with the ride.
ROYJESS

DeadJack5 wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it will get a re-theme/re-name next season.  

I do think it will just be the Vr removal and anything associated with the headsets
I don't like to repeat things that Staff members tell me due to they often don't seem to materialise. I was after a certain Galatica souvenir, I've been told that it was no longer available and will not be so this season.  But watch out for next season.  There was a hint of a possible re-theme/name  ;)
DeadJack5

ROYJESS wrote:
DeadJack5 wrote:

I don't like to repeat things that Staff members tell me due to they often don't seem to materialise. I was after a certain Galatica souvenir, I've been told that it was no longer available and will not be so this season.  But watch out for next season.  There was a hint of a possible re-theme/name  ;)
That wasn't a dig at you by the way, we all know Merlin love a good re-theme! :)

Yeah, I understand where you and the staff memeber are coming from, although we should take what staff say with a pinch of salt, like you've said yourself. I guess we shall see.