Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Exactly, it is an easy fix which doesn't require much. While it may initially be seen as a failure, I'm sure it will go down well.
TheBeornen

I'd really like to see Galactica have a few nods to nemesis, even something small like a near miss or something that looks like something out of FV.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
tedoshay

TheBeornen wrote:Merlin could brand it as, "World's first two in one rollercoaster experience." Or something stupid like that.
Thorpe beat every-one to it with Swam: Brave It Backwards :)
In think that 1 craft VR and 2 non VR is a possibility for the future (given that you can dispatch around 2 non for every 1 VR) and have an Oblivion queue style split. This keeps the VR element going while satisfying the increasing number of riders who are opting out of the VR.
Are there any solid stats on how many riders opt out of VR now and does it create a trend?
_______
I've been here before in a different life... don't be fooled by what you see, silent assassins don't make themselves known :)
Dan

Towards the end of last season, the number of riders not wearing the headsets heavily outweighed those who did.

I honestly think the days of VR on Galactica are numbered and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the VR offering this year limited to a few rows per train, both due to headset reliability and lack of demand.
Dom

I don't think anyone is surprised that the popularity of the VR has decreased. Having never experienced the VR side to Galatica I wouldn't like to comment, but I would also think them not updating the VR with new locations as original hinted at hasn't helped. Given Merlin seem to be trying to grab the cash, it wouldn't surprise me if they do limit the VR to a couple of rows and make it a chargeable experience. 
Scarlyboo22

Haven’t been on Galactica yet, I have been on Air though? Is it worth it?
Scarlyboo22

I absolutely agree! Galactica definitely sticks out. However, I think that the ride should be taken over by the monster that escaped in Sub-Terra. It could have the same colour scheme as Nemesis.
Robert.W

Galactica doesn't really stick out. It's back story is intergrated with that of Forbidden Valley. Visually... okay, it does look different to the rest of FV, but that's part of the story right? 

As for what Galactica should have been, I think it should have been themed to a Phalanx flight academy, where riders were tasked with controlling the Nemesis Monster, would have been a much more consistent way for the ride to be intergrated into the existing area.

Dungeon-X-Smile

Personally, I think it might be interesting if one of the planets you visit in your journey was the planet that the Nemesis creature came from. It would be interesting if while flying through, you encountered either another nemesis creature, or other creatures that have the same overall design. It would be a small interlude, like every other planet, but it would help link it to the rest of the sector while still keeping Galactica its own thing, and it would be interesting at least to see what the planet the nemesis creature came from.
altontowerskid

Scarlyboo22 wrote:Haven’t been on Galactica yet, I have been on Air though? Is it worth it?
Yes, it's worth a go, just don't expect something revolutionary. Personally, I think the Galactica revamp was worth it just for the new soundtrack :) 
Scarlyboo22

Great! Thank you.
Justin

So, 150 minutes for Galactica! What has gone wrong?
A 2.5 hour wait for this attraction is unacceptable, especially when the queue line makes no attempt to separate those who wish to ride with VR from those who don't.

I visited 2 weeks ago and the queuing system was a mess. We witnessed trains going around the track with empty seats as everyone was queuing for VR which is now only available on the back three rows. This has led to a lot of confusion, and ultimately to bottlenecks in the queue line, as a mixture of riders are in the same lines. Station announcements tried to separate the queue nearer to the station, but this caused more frustration as it meant trying to pass others in the queue who then believe you are queue jumping, even when asking if they are waiting for VR seats. The system does not work, and on our visit we just gave up!
Robert.W

Hmm... when I visited recently, Galactica seemed to be being managed pretty well. Very short queues, quick loading and unloading. Lack of VR didn't seem to be causing any problems.

150 mins though... that's got to be an error right??

Justin

Recently, ride times has been reporting high times. Hopefully, they'll iron it out soon as something needs to be done :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It would seem that on-ride photos have now returned to Galactica, with the camera apparently located on the last bend.
Jack

On Ride Photos for Galactica have indeed returned, and it's far better than the strange ones in the queue line. I feel this is even better positioned than Air's old spot, some very good reactions on the final turn :)
Justin

Did you get one, Jack?
Ryan.B

Take VR off, retheme it back to air, give the original oasis fountains etc. It should've never been retheme. The space theme can't be pulled off when you go flying past a car park. The whole Galactica retheme hasn't worked for me, and it doesn't fit.
TheDuke

Ryan.B wrote:Take VR off, retheme it back to air, give the original oasis fountains etc. It should've never been retheme. The space theme can't be pulled off when you go flying past a car park. The whole Galactica retheme hasn't worked for me, and it doesn't fit.
This would be perfect and it would really get the Forbidden theme together but I really doubt it for one the cost alone would be pretty high, they also changed it very recently at a cost so the chances of them reverting it ia more unlikely because of that they'll more likely double down on the theme.
The Nemesis Fox

Look at Kraken though. The fact that less than half of the trains are VR marks a change. Hopefully they will realise it’s not worth the VR and just scrap it.