Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Ha! Doubt it, but I could see VR being removed in the future with just more space theming being added around the site.

I am really surprised that Alton haven't issued a statement regarding VR yet!
Luce

It is a shame that Galactica's had so many issues with the VR and I'm sure Merlin would like to get it up and running - just a little embarrassing that it still isn't working.

However, I'm not a great fan of the VR either and much prefer being able to see the scenery around the ride. I do agree with Justin in that some additional theming would be a good idea instead - if the VR didn't return.
Sawboss

They did such a good job with the portal putting on the goggles was a shame. More theming elements like that would be great. The flat riding position would give you a good view of it too.
TheDuke

Sawboss wrote:They did such a good job with the portal putting on the goggles was a shame. More theming elements like that would be great. The flat riding position would give you a good view of it too.
Honestly this is what made me excited for galactica, the prospect of new themeing on the ride as I'm very sceptical of VR on rollercoasters. The funny thing is this is what I(and im sure alot of you) expected though we really didnt want it to happen. Part of me would be ok with the VR being removed and the theming being expanded but also I really really want it to work and for it to be a unique experience. I've always had a soft spot for air so I hope they can work this out.
Dan says hi

Judging by the responses to questions asked about Galactica today, it sounds like Alton Towers are trying to get the VR on now as soon as possible.
liamharvey

When I went yesterday (31st) the ride closed around 3 and stayed closed. When I asked the staff they said they knew why the ride was closed but they were not allowed to tell any guests. I also saw it running at around 6 o clock when I was in the car park so maybe this means they are testing the vr or something else i'm not sure but hopefully it will be back online soon!
Dan

liamharvey wrote:When I went yesterday (31st) the ride closed around 3 and stayed closed. When I asked the staff they said they knew why the ride was closed but they were not allowed to tell any guests. I also saw it running at around 6 o clock when I was in the car park so maybe this means they are testing the vr or something else i'm not sure but hopefully it will be back online soon!
The VR was being tested yesterday after ride close.

I was waiting for the RCR gate to open and at about 5 past 5 they sent a few trains out with 7 staff members on who were all wearing headsets.

I was also on park today and rode Galactica mid afternoon. There was at least 4 Figment members of staff in and around the station area. Given all the activity that is taking place at the moment I don't think it will be too long before the VR returns to the attraction.
Robert.W

If the VR isn't ready soon... I mean, nearly a quarter of the season is already over! Let's hope they learn from this for next year.

TheDuke

Hopefully when its back running with VR the experience has improved and is smoother
Dan says hi

Just wondering, I presume not, but has Galactica opened with VR today?
Max

VR is in operation on Galactica today.

Currently for Fastrack only, but is operating on all 3 crafts.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Owen

Seems that's only happened recently then, as this morning the VR wasn't on! :)

It's about time! :P
Max

Update from Galactica:
VR video remains exactly the same.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Owen

It was fun whilst it lasted. The ride has had a technical issue large enough to have the ride and queue evacuated. :|
Liam.W

Is this confirmed to be a VR issue or just the ride in general?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

It's just a 'technical issue' at this point.

However seeing as the VR was still supposedly being checked I wouldn't be surprised if it played a part. :)
Robert.W

If I were Alton Towers, I would be extremely embarrassed. :no:

Aidan Lowe

Max wrote:Update from Galactica:
VR video remains exactly the same.
So the delay is simply the new headsets on the crafts. How on earth (<-- :)) can it take this long? Should of been done closed season surely. I rarely ever go on Air/Galactica anyway as I always avoid it, imo not worth the queuing time.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

Galactica is back up and running however it doesn't seem that the headsets are working very well at all, with some having no audio and others having issues with the videos. :no:

To me it's coming across like the Resort and Figment have thought "it's working well enough just start it". In my eyes we've waited long enough whilst having little to no communication from the Resort about the attraction, so it's a bit of a slap in the face to deliver the attraction when it's evidentially not working. :|
TheDuke

Owen wrote:Galactica is back up and running however it doesn't seem that the headsets are working very well at all, with some having no audio and others having issues with the videos. :no:

To me it's coming across like the Resort and Figment have thought "it's working well enough just start it". In my eyes we've waited long enough whilst having little to no communication from the Resort about the attraction, so it's a bit of a slap in the face to deliver the attraction when it's evidentially not working. :|

I atleast thought they'd have it running smoothly and have better tracking on the headsets but this is getting a bit ridiculous considering how long its been running without vr