Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

I do hope it's there, but as I have said, it's wishful thinking - and I was simply expressing the possibility that it could be there, however it seems that is definitely wrong so I am sorry I had mentioned it :)
Liam.W

I agree with Owen. I hope it's there, but I doubt It looking at the plans
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Javs

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but it happens a lot with this concept art. I remember how disappointed a lot of us were when we got all excited about the AIR concept art only to be left speculating for 14 years as to whether or not it would ever materialise! No matter what happens, AIR is getting some much needed attention and for that we can all be grateful!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Alton Towers have released some footage from Tuesday's announcement event.
Georgie

mmm, is that new music I hear? Sounds like a mix between HELIX and Oblivion: The Black Hole.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Sawboss

What are the G's on Air? The chap on that video says the G forces on Galactica are more powerful than being on a rocket, that seems off but what do I know. Just wondering about the whole 'adding a launch' thing :P
Tom170499

Sawboss wrote:What are the G's on Air? The chap on that video says the G forces on Galactica are more powerful than being on a rocket, that seems off but what do I know. Just wondering about the whole 'adding a launch' thing :P
3.5 I believe
Sawboss

Tom170499 wrote:3.5 I believe
Oh then I guess he's right. Astronauts got it easy!
Matt_1985

I wonder what the VR head sets will provide? Will they be augmented reality or complete virtual reality?
What will the visual be about? Dino saurs? The nemesis creature?
AidanCKY

Galactica seems poor to be honest. The marketing and branding feels very... empty. Kinda like space.
Matt_1985

Lol like space. Dont knock it till you've tried it Aid.
Atleast there will be some first "Aid" if you're on it.
Aidan Lowe

Attractions Management and members of the VR Coaster team have opened a VR Coaster experience which was Space Fantasy: The Ride at Universal Japan.

People have been claiming Galactica as a world first because Alpen Express is a powered roller coaster, well Space Fantasy has a chain lift hill.

So this leaves me to again question what exactly is world first about Galactica? How can a roller coaster be "fully dedicated" to be classed as a world first. Merlin try to market everything as a world first.

Same with Derren Browns Ghost Train, other parks would just state it as a new attraction but Merlin has to state its the first attraction in the world to incorporate so many different elements together.. really?!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
xylyx

It could mean you have to opt out of VR rather than opt in. To be fair you can market anything as a world first with a bit of spin, but that kind of bold headline does get attention so I'm not surprised they are doing so.

The spin doesn't interest me just the ride quality which I'm hoping well be spot on :)
MerlinFan

I'm still excited to ride this - I'm not as world experienced with theme parks as some of the others on this forum so any new UK first excites me.
Master_feedback

One would make an educated guess that the head sets will be htc based now the ghost train has been confirmed to have htc vr
Aidan Lowe

While I'm not 100% sure I still think they have gone with Samsung Gear VR for Galactica, if you look at the image of the person wearing the headset the HTC Vive is a different shape than what is shown being worn.

With Galactica it'll just be the visual experience & I class Vive as a true VR headset which will be needed for an immersive complex experience like DBGT.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
vandark

Andy Mc wrote:While I'm not 100% sure I still think they have gone with Samsung Gear VR for Galactica, if you look at the image of the person wearing the headset the HTC Vive is a different shape than what is shown being worn.

With Galactica it'll just be the visual experience & I class Vive as a true VR headset which will be needed for an immersive complex experience like DBGT.
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed as Samsung VR.
Jammydodger

Samsung VR is also readily available at a considerably low price point too. Vive will most likely cost twice if not more than the cost of SVR.

Out of curiosity does Europa still offer an ORP? Seems a little pointless with half your face obstructed. If not then do you think maybe there'll be a green screen involved somewhere ?
xylyx

The plans mention a photopoint, and if my mind serves me correctly it was in the queue line, which kinda makes more sense with the advent of VR
Stan.H

xylyx wrote:The plans mention a photopoint, and if my mind serves me correctly it was in the queue line, which kinda makes more sense with the advent of VR
I believe that the photo section is where the intersection (of the queues) are at the moment (when they direct you to station 1 or 2). In the plans it was there, correct me if I'm wrong!