Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
themealgang

I was initially against the idea of VR, but after seeing what Merlin are going to do it with it, I've warmed to the idea. I think the logo is fab - the theme is solid (if a bit weird for Forbidden Valley) and hopefully this will breathe a new lease of life to what was one of the most neglected B&M coasters out there.

I'm just disappointed the station looks virtually (excuse the pun) the same and they haven't bothered to give the coaster a lick a paint. But we shall see.
oliverfox

Like the new theme. Space is sometimes a little bit cheesy / 80's (Space Mountain!), but it could also be so immersive it's almost addictive.

As for the powered launch hill, I unfortunately doubt it, despite how desperate I am for some kind of launch other than Rita at the park! BBC are reporting a 3.5G force, however this is the same as it always was. Launches are generally a low 4 at least, so it kind of looks unlikely that this will be the case. I'd be over the moon (get it) for someone to tell me I could be wrong though!

For the record, I'll most likely ride both with and without the headset, simply for both experiences. Only after that could I possibly say whether or not I'll generally ride with one or the other. It is still the same coaster, guys! All of the elements are still there!
Tom170499

I wonder what will happen about the soundtrack? As far as I'm aware, there has been no mention of the subject from Alton Towers or any company such as IMAscore that they are collaborating.

In my opinion, the current soundtrack could fit with the new theme. It sounds 'spacey' and sounds like something you'd hear in a waiting room a la an airport or in this case, spaceport :D
dazza4783

themealgang wrote:the theme is solid (if a bit weird for Forbidden Valley)
Maybe it will continue the Nemesis theme somehow, remember this is about travelling through portals into space, maybe Nemesis' back story will be changed slightly and the portal is how the monster got here in the first place. Or SW8 may be themed to something that got here through Galactica's portal.
Aidan Lowe

themealgang wrote:I'm just disappointed the station looks virtually (excuse the pun) the same and they haven't bothered to give the coaster a lick a paint. But we shall see.
This was taken when the park was open, it'll be different.
themealgang wrote:I was initially against the idea of VR.
So was I. I just re-read some of this thread from the beginning, I don't half moan and whinge.. I think my posts should require approval before posting, I annoyed myself. I'm so negative a lot.. O:)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sawboss

I was apprehensive at first because everyone was throwing around the phalanx idea, but I much prefer this space exploration theme.
Andy Mc wrote:I just re-read some of this thread from the beginning, I don't half moan and whinge.. I think my posts should require approval before posting, I annoyed myself. I'm so negative a lot.. O:)
I reckon everyone is guilty of that from time to time :)

Anyway, how about special videos for events too? At Scarefest you could visit the Planet of Pumpkins ;)
simononestop

I would just say try Google cardboard and VR apps for your phone! (free), (and get a cheap set of VR goggles which use your mobile to run VR like £7). every person who has tried mine has been blown away by it. I must say the effect is brilliant. VR is the new biggest thing! not on a rollercoaster it creates a complete submersive experience. but on a rollercoaster as well should be good! im really looking forward to trying this. I think the feeling will be impressive!

these are the ones I've got and all the apps are free, I would say all the non believers try a pair out!
NeoXIII

Hoping that the "New Destinations" will feature seasonal events. Imagine a haunted planet for Scarefest or dodging explosives during Fireworks!
Capt.Barnacles

I suspect the multiple destinations are incorporated to persuade people to ride with VR every time, to get the opportunity to ride somewhere new each time. That'll ensure the VR experience doesn't get boring too quickly. They can keep adding new destinations/animations and guarantee people will come back to try the new experiences. From a marketing point of view this will be good since they can continuously advertise new features for the ride and Resort.

Personally, I'm not overjoyed by the VR change, I feel it'll be a one-time thing for me. Of course when Galactica opens I will ride with the VR, so I can say I've done it and give a valid opinion, but I'm not expecting anything amazing. I think I'll always prefer seeing the environment.
Javs

Blimey, I didn't see this one coming! Bravo for a nice new theme, but I recon the loading times are gonna be increased and throughput will probably drop right?

Still, nice to see the old girl get a well deserved makeover!
xylyx

I'll add to the delight at this being an experience akin to AIR, ie you're exploring these planets, these environs and its about being in a place rather than battling creatures or being in an experiment etc. I always loved AIR for the upbeat and exhilarating nature of it, and by the sound of it they're attempting to keep to that ideal.
Roodie

I don't think this will have anything to do with Nemesis. The website states that in 3016 Forbidden Valley was chosen as the site for a spaceport. However who knows what their long term plan may be.
RedStar98

I'll admit I wasn't too sure what to think when I saw the virtual reality confirmed yesterday. Looking into it more, however, I really like the theming, and the concept of the ride looks really cool and unusual. As much as I liked Air as a ride, it really seemed to lack theming in comparison to a lot of the others (even with Oblivion I've always liked the video they play as the train is waiting to leave the station). I don't know when I'll be able to visit the park next but I'll definitely have to try it out. It's not related to Galactica, but it just so happens that my favourite band (Enter Shikari) also released a new space-themed single yesterday ('Redshift') so the ride and song will always remind me of each other.
simononestop

interesting this company claims to have been doing this already.
instead you hire a pair of goggles when you arrive at the park and ride all the rides with them
http://www.vrcoaster.com/

this this is the coaster they did? (Europa Park adds world-first virtual reality experience to attraction's oldest rollercoaster)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGdvLElKpo
Aidan Lowe

simononestop wrote:interesting this company claims to have been doing this already.
http://www.vrcoaster.com/
Correct. Merlin are claiming this as a worlds first fully-dedicated VR Coaster. Probably due to it being on the ride itself free of charge & with audio inclusion.

LMC Design did the promotional art for this it seems judging by their Twitter.
jackcullen

Personally I think Alton setting themselves up for a fall here. Even the BBC article other day mentioned it was spending millions building a new ride and not once mentioned it was air! I can see a lot of people being pretty peeved when they realise it's just Air with a headset!
Aidan Lowe

Even though it has nothing to do with the one at Alton Towers, Attractions Magazine has just uploaded a video of the tech & VR sequence from the one at FunSpot on Freedom Flyer here.

I love the lift hill scenario and how the ride kicks off in the VR world.
MerlinFan

I love the idea of a VR rollercoaster - I have never done a rollercoaster like this! It would probably feel very different to a standard simulator I'm guessing. I'm really excited!
Javs

I've got so many questions about how this will work!

How are the VR headsets tracked? If it is purely movement based then it won't offer a good response rate and will probably be quite sickening!

Also, how do they clean them or ensure hygiene between different people? Are the ride operators going to clean them after each run?

I get the impression there will be 1 queue and 1 station for VR and the other queue and station for the normal ride without VR.

The throughout for the VR will be awful! I'm betting it's pre book only!
MakoMania

Accidentily liked there :lol

Don't ask me how but Figment Productions' website claims their VR product will not affect throughput. Also, I presume each headset will be removed after each ride and cleaned, and therefore only attached to the trains during the ride somehow.

With regards to the quality of VR, it's a tried and tested idea, it works and has generally had rave reviews on other coasters.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]