Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
KoasterKraver

theparklifekid wrote:At least the car has "AIR | Space Technologies" written on it.
Does anyone else think it should be called "GalacticAIR"?
I can't say I agree nor disagree with you!
Owen

Sentri558 wrote:I have no idea if anyone's posted this already, but I did some deep web searching and found this website:

https://www.galacticatours.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jk it was on the Alton Towers website. Enjoy!
I posted this a few pages back :)
Owen wrote:Official Website

Also, is there some concept art I missed because all concepts I've seen have only added some TV screens to the station with the main looks remaining the same (with the added walls obviously) and the main new theming element, which is hardly extensively themed :-s
Last edited by Owen on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
allijukes19

I'm absolutely gutted with the announcement! The name is horrible and I must say that I will not be riding with the VR! And I will always call it Air!
owenrita121

allijukes19 wrote:I'm absolutely gutted with the announcement! The name is horrible and I must say that I will not be riding with the VR! And I will always call it Air!
So your not even going to give it a chance? How basic.
Why call It Air when that isn't it's name? It's getting a new name whether you like it or not, get over it.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
allijukes19

I'm allowed to have an opinion, how am I basic! I just don't like the thought of the VR, the only people that are getting excited are the bloody video gaming nerds! Air will always have a special place in my heart and you can't change that!
Liam.W

allijukes19 wrote:the only people that are getting excited are the bloody video gaming nerds!
I am very excited for Galactica and I am very looking forward to VR, and I Am Not a gaming nerd! Stop being stereotypical please ](*,)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

All the sarcasm this evening! :lol People have opinions, let's not be rude about them! ;)

Personally I see a very bad year for Galactica at first - throughput is suspected to drop dramatically and really it's just a lazy way to stop people moaning about the lack of theming around the attraction, while being able to market this attraction as "worlds first" which, judging by the latest e-mail from the resort is the direction they are headed.

However, I am intrigued to try this ride and I will do, on the other hand if queues are genuinely bad I can't see myself riding Galactica or AIR many more times in the future :)
Adz
Admin
Admin

Let's play nice...

I'm pleasantly surprised by it, especially as you're given the option to ride without the headsets if you wish.

I would be curious to see the actual budget for this as the headsets and VR films won't be cheap.
118hazaman

I am very excited by Galactica, even if I don't like the name yet. The VR technology is going to be extremely interesting, and every video or review I've seen about VR on roller coasters has been overwhelmingly positive.

I know this forum hates change and thinks that Merlin can't do anything right; but lets give them a chance. Air as a ride is loosing nothing and gaining so much more. It's still the same ride, now with more of a story and an experience.

TL;DR - Don't knock it till you try it.
Sawboss

I also like the idea of multiple destinations, this didn't occur to me before but it's a really good idea! I also love the idea of visiting actual other planets, was worried it would be generic sci fi with space ships and some alien invaders but looks as if they've taken a... not realistic setting, I suppose more grounded and centered on wonder instead of thrills.
Stan.H

I, also not a gaming nerd WHATSOEVER, am really excited for this. And if your not happy with it, live with it. Alton Towers are just trying to make the GP (and coaster enthusiasts) like the ride again, as YOU were the people complaining about it before, and theyve changed it, your still not happy. I think we should all be grateful that AT are trying... Come on!
MakoMania

I'm loving everything about Galactica, even the name! Very excited to ride in April!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Altontowersbarlow

Krazycoaster wrote:As good as it is that Alton is giving Air a new lease of life, I don't believe this was the best way to do it.
My money's on that within the year, people just ride without the headset.
quote]
Why would anybody choose not to wear the headset after a few years? The VR headsets are free and literally attached to the trains and they will be a new experience for many. The public love a new, easy and cheap experience. If people can ride roller coasters and become accustomed to the same old scenery every time they ride and not get bored, I am confident they will be entertained thoroughly by the VR experience, even in the long term.

On a separate note; I think that the concept art for the re-theme looks very professional and I believe that Air will look considerably better than it currently does. I like the adverts/ promotional material produced and it is clear a lot of effort has been put into the whole process. I am personally excited about the VR but even if the VR turns out to be ineffective, we still have a completely refurbished ride. The audio element is a pleasant surprise. This is a very positive move by the park and although it isn't the most exciting thing Alton Towers have produced, it is still a decent addition.
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazza4783

Am really looking forward to this, I don't see why there is so much negativity from some regarding it.
People complained that Air had hardly any theming, especially the tunnel. Now with VR every part of the ride has completely immersive theming and people are still complaining, even before they have seen and experienced the finished product.
We can see from the video just how good the tunnel and lift hill are going to look, I have high hopes for the rest of the ride.
Owen

I am personally most excited about how the portal at the bottom of the first drop (shown in the concept) will act as a key hole element for non-VR riders!

It may be sad but I think that is one of the best aspects of this development!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I think I'm more excited to try this out now than I was prior to the announcement, which can only be a good thing. In a way I'm glad they haven't gone down a fantasy route with aliens etc. and it's more about the experience of flying throughout space. Although it is a shame that it shall remain somewhat isolated from the rest of Forbidden Valley.

Following the announcement, we've launched the Galactica page on the TowersTimes site, although naturally it will be added to once the ride opens in April.
Stan.H

I know that this wont happens. But... It would be sick, if AT did the VR like Star Tours, where it has a different scenario/element each time, which will make the ride more re-ridable!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Emporium wrote:I know that this wont happens. But... It would be sick, if AT did the VR like Star Tours, where it has a different scenario/element each time, which will make the ride more re-ridable!!
It seems that there will be different experiences in the form of varying 'destinations', with 'Nero 5' and 'Kepler 9' currently listed on the website, which also states that more destinations will be added.
Justin

I'm going to reserve judgement until I experience the new concept in full. At the moment it just doesn't grab my attention, especially with the logo reminding me of Star Trek and being a fan of Air in it's original format. Viewing this from a tablet, the graphics may not be coming across well. It looks too much like a gimmick at present, but if planned well it could be a good move!

I don't think anyone can be confident in saying this will be good or bad until the projects completion and they have experienced the full VR experience. I just hope it delivers!
tcw1993

It's so corny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.