Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Stan.H

Sawboss wrote:
MakoMania wrote:I agree. Everyone complained about Air anyway so I don't see what the big deal is.
I've never complained about AIR, I love it, BUT I'm also interested to see what they do with it. In the end, the coaster itself isn't going anywhere :) Also the soundtracks on youtube if anyone wants to get nostalgic, I know I do sometimes.
The new one? Or the old one?
Sawboss

Emporium wrote:The new one? Or the old one?
The old one, the new one, both, and all three.
Stan.H

Sawboss wrote:
Emporium wrote:The new one? Or the old one?
The old one, the new one, both, and all three.
Please could i have a link?? :lol
Sawboss

Emporium wrote:Please could i have a link?? :lol
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Old one
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New one
:)
Liam.W

1:22 and onwards (on the link you gave) is the best on the new Air soundtrack.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Martin.C

Just to add to Sawboss's post, I have the newer version of Air's soundtrack (thought it was the original version from 2002) in a higher quality format than the one on YouTube. It's exactly the same track only with sharper and clearer stereo sound. It's definitely noticeable if you compare it.

Download Link.

tcw1993

People saying that the GP complained about air, I think quite the opposite, I've not heard one person say they don't like it and is always on the to do list when I go with friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
tcw1993

lewis97 wrote:
Sentri558 wrote:As for the new coaster which planning permission was submitted for, I'm quite happy about that, as well as the re-opening of The Smiler. Hopefully it'll restore some faith in the public's view of Alton Towers.
They haven't submitted a planning application for a new coaster. Earlier last year they requested a 'Formal Screening Opinion' for the potential addition of a coaster of 'timber truss construction' in Forbidden Valley, however an actual planning application for this hasn't come to light and doesn't look like that it will do now.
Behind where ripsaw was, near skyride loads of trees have been taken down, would this not have anything to do with SW8? Was it done before the smiler incident? And surely with most of the land being conservation, they'd have to put in planning before removing or disturbing any of the wildlife/foliage on the site?

i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
Aidan Lowe

tcw1993 wrote:Behind where ripsaw was, near skyride loads of trees have been taken down, would this not have anything to do with SW8?
Hard to say, they removed a lot of trees due to them being disease ridden or at least that was the guise they used.

Some markings on the floor had taken place around the same time as the formal screening applications but that has been all thats happened no definite planning application has been submitted as far as we know.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

tcw1993 wrote:People saying that the GP complained about air, I think quite the opposite, I've not heard one person say they don't like it and is always on the to do list when I go with friends

I think it is definitely a mix of opinions as i have heard many people say that it's boring and slow, which compared to the other coasters on park, it is. Although I always go on it when I visit, it's not a ride I would rush to do again like The Smiler and Nemesis. I think the biggest problem with Air is that it is a coaster type that's meant to be a big coaster but it's layout is more of a family coaster but then half the family can't ride it because of the height restrictions.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the ride however I feel it's not the best on site and could be a lot better. I personally feel VR could do that easily and would be really immersive. As long as it's a good story.

Aidan Lowe

Another thing I love about this VR addition now is the fact it'll open up a subject most people just don't care about or show an interest in.

For children going and experiencing this it is my personal hope they then take an extra interest in astronomy as lets face it, its fascinating but most people don't see its beauty because its not of importance in their lives. So from an educational, science & entertainment standpoint this is going to be great providing Merlin keep the system running in tip-top shape.
cookiee_munster

Sawboss wrote:
when was the new theme replaced with the old one? i was there just a few months after opening and remember hearing the new theme. ive never heard the old theme before, ever! :p
MakoMania

cookiee_munster wrote:
Sawboss wrote:
when was the new theme replaced with the old one? i was there just a few months after opening and remember hearing the new theme. ive never heard the old theme before, ever! :p
The old theme ran for a few years I think. It was shared as a soundtrack with the London Eye.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
allijukes19

When I look at Air from pictures just after it opened with all its bright colours, i think it looks beautiful with all the shrubs planted with a mix of the modern buildings and the turquise colours around the area, Air is a great roller coaster, and like someone said most of the GP consider it better than Nemesis! I love the music, the name, the theme: before people say it has no theme; it does! It is a great modern theme and I love it! The Space theme will not fit at all as Nemesis is a creature that lives on earth and the Forbidden Valley is a post-appocyliptic themed area with Air being an Oasis. VR is not a very good investment at all, It'll be good for all them Video Game Nerdy people but most people would rather just ride air like it was intended to be: a flying experience!
Aidan Lowe

allijukes19 wrote:VR is not a very good investment at all, It'll be good for all them Video Game Nerdy people but most people would rather just ride air like it was intended to be: a flying experience!
You don't have to be a nerd to appreciate VR. Trust me when I say this, VR has a very bright future ahead of it for everyday application.

Imagine for example your searching for a home, in the future you'll be able to view said home without traveling, therefore not a wasted journey if it doesn't suit your needs.

Lets say your an architect, you can have a portfolio of your buildings inside the VR world for potential business.

Your grandparents are too old to travel but always wanted to visit abroad or landmarks, in the VR world they can.

I also disagree it being a bad investment. Cost of building a new ride £10-15 million. Implementing this you can renew the coaster experience for a fraction simply by replacing / adding to the Virtual Reality world.

Also lets get off the space theme not fitting in with the area. Does it honestly matter?! Are we really going to criticize the park / ride because it doesn't fit in?

The last bit has been nagging me for a while the amount of people thinking the same so had to voice myself :)
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dom

Andy Mc wrote:Also lets get off the space theme not fitting in with the area. Does it honestly matter?! Are we really going to criticize the park / ride because it doesn't fit in?
In fairness, this has always been an issue with Air. A lot of enthusiasts do feel that it doesn't suit the area. I guess it will just be one of those things.
Aidan Lowe

Dom wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:Also lets get off the space theme not fitting in with the area. Does it honestly matter?! Are we really going to criticize the park / ride because it doesn't fit in?
In fairness, this has always been an issue with Air. A lot of enthusiasts do feel that it doesn't suit the area. I guess it will just be one of those things.
Exactly, its always felt out of place so this new theme alteration makes no difference. People still enjoy the ride don't they?
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:
Dom wrote:
Exactly, its always felt out of place so this new theme alteration makes no difference. People still enjoy the ride don't they?
Also a space theme doesn't necessarily restrict them to the stereotypical modern spacecraft starry stuff.

If (emphasis on IF) Alton get this right, it could be a huge success and fit in with Forbidden Valley.

Read this next bit then close your eyes and picture it:

A red planet like Mars covered in large debris from battle between phalanx and the Nemesis creature. Prepare for a new flight experience back in time to find out how the nemesis creature arrived at Earth.

This is the best picture I can find to sum up what I'm trying to get at,

http://i1.wp.com/www.universetoday.com/ ... 022424.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but there'd be more debris and would be part of an immersive narrative coveyed to guests via the thematic visuals of the area and the pre show.

I know that wasn't a very detailed description but with the right theming elements, storyline and VR visuals they CAN really pull this off very well and integrate it nicely into FV. What type of space theme they go for however, remains to be seen.

Basically what I'm trying to say is there is more than one type of 'space' theme and you could make it work with FV :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
xylyx

Astronomy is amazing, I did 4 years of astrophysics at university and one of the best parts about the course was using the large observatory that they had buried I the countryside. I know it's unlikely to awaken the passion for the natural beauty out there, on everyone but if it does work on even one person that would be astonishing.

I can understand why folks would see it as an unnecessary gimmick, air is perfectly fine without it, however if done right I can imagine this making the ride something truly impressive. Being fully immersed and feeling acceleration on the body if synced up well to the images can be breathtaking. It's like at the Imax cinema, your brain can be so easily fooled into thinking what you're seeing is happening to you that you get the weirdest sensations. I know of folks at screenings of the recent film The Walk who had to close their eyes when he stepped out on that wire, capturing that level of sensation and immersion on a rollercoaster will be awesome.
NemesisRider

To be honest, my main concern isn't about the theme or implementation of VR. VR is naturally immersive and, if you don't want VR, I expect the option to ride without will still be available much like what Europa Park (a park recent Merlin have aspired to be more like I believe, what with the street entertainers and other things) have done with Alpen Express. My only real concern is the throughput, as it's going to nosedive with the addition of VR. They will have to streamline the process immensely just to get anywhere near even half the throughput at the moment, Alpen Express' throughput is something like 1/5 of what it was previously.