Galactica - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

I see where your coming from, on a personal level I think the investments under Merlin have been rubbish (except CBeebies Land :D). Both new additions this year are gimmicks but that is Merlin for you, if its the latest craze or unique to this country Merlin will surely pounce on it.

Think your resisting accepting it much like how I wanted WC16 to be so much more than what it is set to be :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MakoMania

Merlin have made some good investments imo:

Th13teen
The Smiler
Mutiny Bay
CBeebies

And I am one of the few who like Nemesis Sub-Trerra.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Sentri558

The level of salt from some people in this thread is incredible.

Merlin is a company. Companies cater to the general target market. Enthusiasts make up a very small percentage of their profits, thus it doesn't make sense from an economical stand point to cater directly to the enthusiasts. Instead, you take the best option for the general market which wont upset the enthusiasts, but everybody here seems to be upset by anything Merlin ever does.

Furthermore, lots of the people complaining about Air being fine have previously slandered Air to the point at which the ride now has depression.

/rantoff

Anyway, I'm hyped for an Air rebranding. I'm hoping it's just towards the side of a more serious tone, without being ultra-hardcore. That wouldn't fit the identity of Air as a "you're flying" chill coaster.

I'm super excited for this new restaurant too. A large part of Alton Towers for me is spending time with my family as we live far apart from each other, so having such an awesome place to eat at will be amazing.

As for the new coaster which planning permission was submitted for, I'm quite happy about that, as well as the re-opening of The Smiler. Hopefully it'll restore some faith in the public's view of Alton Towers.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Sentri558 wrote:As for the new coaster which planning permission was submitted for, I'm quite happy about that, as well as the re-opening of The Smiler. Hopefully it'll restore some faith in the public's view of Alton Towers.
They haven't submitted a planning application for a new coaster. Earlier last year they requested a 'Formal Screening Opinion' for the potential addition of a coaster of 'timber truss construction' in Forbidden Valley, however an actual planning application for this hasn't come to light and doesn't look like that it will do now.
MakoMania

lewis97 wrote:
Sentri558 wrote:As for the new coaster which planning permission was submitted for, I'm quite happy about that, as well as the re-opening of The Smiler. Hopefully it'll restore some faith in the public's view of Alton Towers.
They haven't submitted a planning application for a new coaster. Earlier last year they requested a 'Formal Screening Opinion' for the potential addition of a coaster of 'timber truss construction' in Forbidden Valley, however an actual planning application for this hasn't come to light and doesn't look like that it will do now.
I could be talking utter rubbish but is it possible that Alton may have come to some sort of agreement with the local authorities concerning a new attraction without going through the normal phases of submitting documents publically? I know it's in the wrong topic but since it came up I thought I'd ask :)
mattiepearce

MakoMania wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
I could be talking utter rubbish but is it possible that Alton may have come to some sort of agreement with the local authorities concerning a new attraction without going through the normal phases of submitting documents publically? I know it's in the wrong topic but since it came up I thought I'd ask :)
I've just done a brief search on if you're allowed, and there's documents been withheld from the Local Authorities, and they were given permission to build, but then they found about the documents and they had to dismantle the new build, so I'd assume Alton Towers wouldn't risk that. Other than cases about that I can't find evidence that it's allowed as applications have to go through public hearings. Also asked my dad who's a builder so has to do applications, and agrees with me.
Owen

Planning applications for rides projected to open in March are often submitted in November - however who says that this next coaster isn't planned for a mid or late 2017 opening, meaning that we wouldn't necessarily need to see planning applications until at least mid january for a May opening and at least early March for a June/July opening.

Anyway, back on topic - I'm personally not looking forward to Galatica, as I feel all air really needed was its original theming being installed, and not some new theme that really doesn't link to the area still. Nemesis is an alien being, however it lives in earth and is locked to the ground by a government facility - it's also not certain if it came from space.
Galatica (using this as it's assumed new identity) is, as far as we know based around space - something that isn't even really related to Nemesis other than the term "alien".
In all honesty it just seems like they are going to ruin Air for what it is by giving it a unimaginative theme that takes away from airs real purpose - to make you feel like you are flying, like it or not, it was designed that way.
dazza4783

Owen wrote:Planning applications for rides projected to open in March are often submitted in November - however who says that this next coaster isn't planned for a mid or late 2017 opening, meaning that we wouldn't necessarily need to see planning applications until at least mid january for a May opening and at least early March for a June/July opening.

Anyway, back on topic - I'm personally not looking forward to Galatica, as I feel all air really needed was its original theming being installed, and not some new theme that really doesn't link to the area still. Nemesis is an alien being, however it lives in earth and is locked to the ground by a government facility - it's also not certain if it came from space.
Galatica (using this as it's assumed new identity) is, as far as we know based around space - something that isn't even really related to Nemesis other than the term "alien".
In all honesty it just seems like they are going to ruin Air for what it is by giving it a unimaginative theme that takes away from airs real purpose - to make you feel like you are flying, like it or not, it was designed that way.
I think this confirms that Nemesis came from space.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, The Smiler was originally due to open in March and the planning application was submitted in January.
Owen

Sorry, I was confused - but the point still stands that the Nemesis theme is only related to space in that's were it originates from, and really isn't heavily reflected otherwise.

Exactly, meaning that we have even longer before the planning applications go in, if the park do want to open the attraction slightly later.
dazza4783

Owen wrote:Sorry, I was confused - but the point still stands that the Nemesis theme is only related to space in that's were it originates from, and really isn't heavily reflected otherwise.

Exactly, meaning that we have even longer before the planning applications go in, if the park do want to open the attraction slightly later.
I'm thinking the whole of Forbidden Valley will get a re-theme to an Area-51 type theme with it being controlled by Phalanx. Nemesis could well get a slight re-theme also. If not now then probably when SW8 opens.
AIR's new theme could be a Space battle training simulator.
Sentri558

lewis97 wrote:
My misinformation has fermented over time, thanks for setting me right. I'll ammend myself by saying "the potential plan for a coaster" but I'm probably misinformed about that too :lol

I think you know what I mean. Maybe. Kinda. .3.
xylyx

I think it is worth keeping in mind that we still have very little information. Technically all we know is that it's getting work done on it with added theming a station enclosure, photo point and a pre show. That's what we know for definite. We can infer and make good guesses based on the spacey signage, the wording of hashtags etc, the teaser, name claiming and the upcoming announcement....however in terms of what we know for definite we're still very much in the dark.

I know folks don't have faith in Merlin, and that's fair enough however it's not worth damning the amendments before we even know what they're doing with it. Personally I'm intrigued, I like the idea of the VR ride especially if they can make it optional so you get classic air if you fancy a breather, or VR for a more immersive full on experience. However it could all be something quite different that we haven't even considered, as unlikely as that feels based on recent teasing. Again we shall see but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do....then if it's terrible ripping it apart.
Luviico

I was thinking about something the other day.. Now this is all based on past rumours but still.. The Smiler was 'supposedly' not the original plan for SW7 as apparent new ride technology was not ready. Could this of been VR? And now instead of incorporating it into SW8 they have decided to add it to an already existing but ageing ride? Possibly to save money or just out of convenience? I do find it odd that if we do get VR on air what are the reasons behind it? It's rare that existing rides are added to in such a dramatic way, air as it stood didn't do badly for queues and was generally much loved by the GP as it was. It is only enthusiasts that wanted more added to it (and mostly just a spruce up and added themeing). Possibly a delay on plans for the next major development forced the issue?
Aidan Lowe

Luviico wrote:The Smiler was 'supposedly' not the original plan for SW7 as apparent new ride technology was not ready. Could this of been VR?
Well while VR is nothing new it had been revitalized when Oculus started a Kickstarter campaign back on August 1st, 2012. So given that I'd probably say no SW7 original plans (if indeed it is true) had nothing to do with VR.
I do find it odd that if we do get VR on air what are the reasons behind it?
It's a new form of entertainment & immersion. While I feel they chose the right ride to put it on I do feel that you'll only be getting half an experience due to the fact it'll be difficult to view a full 360° like you would normally in a sit down coaster.
Master_feedback

Am I being dumb or not but if their is a photo shop (we know their is as plans and new photo covers say their is) then dosent that rule out VR no one will want a photo of themselves with a VR head set on ... whats the point in that! ?
Aidan Lowe

The photo point is in the queue line to my knowledge or at least that whats the latest plans show, if you've been on Octonauts its like that photo point.
stealthsmiler

Well I'm sure we will hear something soon. I look forward to it. At the end of the day I think people give gimmicks to much stick. At the end of the day you can still have a good ride with a gimmick. Plus Merlin is a company who cater to their market - the general public. The GP will love a VR coaster and will travel to Alton Towers to go on this UKs only. I think people need to let go of their feelings for Air. I think all enthusiasts get too attached to a ride and that this refurb will be a great thing for the park. Plus they know Airs reliability. I can't wait for it personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MakoMania

stealthsmiler wrote:Well I'm sure we will hear something soon. I look forward to it. At the end of the day I think people give gimmicks to much stick. At the end of the day you can still have a good ride with a gimmick. Plus Merlin is a company who cater to their market - the general public. The GP will love a VR coaster and will travel to Alton Towers to go on this UKs only. I think people need to let go of their feelings for Air. I think all enthusiasts get too attached to a ride and that this refurb will be a great thing for the park. Plus they know Airs reliability. I can't wait for it personally

I agree. Everyone complained about Air anyway so I don't see what the big deal is.
Stan.H

MakoMania wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:Well I'm sure we will hear something soon. I look forward to it. At the end of the day I think people give gimmicks to much stick. At the end of the day you can still have a good ride with a gimmick. Plus Merlin is a company who cater to their market - the general public. The GP will love a VR coaster and will travel to Alton Towers to go on this UKs only. I think people need to let go of their feelings for Air. I think all enthusiasts get too attached to a ride and that this refurb will be a great thing for the park. Plus they know Airs reliability. I can't wait for it personally

I agree. Everyone complained about Air anyway so I don't see what the big deal is.
I don't really care what AT do with Air, as long as its better than the original version, has some theming and gets a better sound track. And on top of that a rollercoaster resteraunt! What more could I want?? A themed queue... Wait, were getting that!! ;)
Sawboss

MakoMania wrote:I agree. Everyone complained about Air anyway so I don't see what the big deal is.
I've never complained about AIR, I love it, BUT I'm also interested to see what they do with it. In the end, the coaster itself isn't going anywhere :) Also the soundtracks on youtube if anyone wants to get nostalgic, I know I do sometimes.