Do you yearn for something big thats not a rollercoaster

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheOutpatient

Something that will restore the magic, an attraction full of innovation and brand new effects?
Ok so we have the 3D cinema but to be honest, though I reckon its fun for the kids, this is old technology. Back in the day a 3D cinema was amazing, but in this day and age its a backward step. We had a 4D cinema at Thorpe and now we should be onto 5D or 6D cinemas.
Ok so we have Sub Terra aswell but its short and little on the raw side, its good fun but its not really "magical".

Times have really changed; Back in the day, the Fifth Dimension at Chessington had smoke and lazers. Nowadays you can buy smoke machines, lazers and ultra violet lights at Maplin for quite cheap but at the time you couldn't buy these things and that made the ride special.

The spark generator in Hex is an example of the kind of innovation I'm talking about. Its almost unavailable to the public; I have found 1 place you can buy one online: http://www.creative-effects.com/Special ... rator.html no clue whether its the same as whats used in hex, but yeah, great effect.

As some might be aware, I really believe in dark rides but I'm not saying this has to be a dark ride, it just has to be something full of new ideas.
Morgan

I love dark rides and would love something like 5th Dimension but I doubt it due to it's fate :(
TheOutpatient

So would I! And I feel we can learn from it; Always create an impressive,well themed exterior. The ride was good, no doubt about it - I've read that people would burst into spontanious applause at the end.

Did you go on it? Its a treasured memory of mine.
leammiles

I want to see a multi effect experience. 90% of these are horror based, or mild scares...but I'd like to see one actually themed around magic.

You walk through a multi room experience, similar to hex, but each room has a "magic trick" It could be simple things like walls going from visible to invisible, things disappearing and reappearing elsewhere in the room.

There would obviously be a big finale with a ride aspect...Hex already has the going upside down without going upside down, and duel has the dizzy spinning tunnel, but something original that you get to both ride and experience.

You could make it family friendly by either having an actor pretend to be a magician, or have video screens. By having an actor, they could perform other tricks that change up every now and then, but a video would work too.
humanshifter

:O I didn't know I wanted that until now!

I was recently thinking how cool a huge magic-themed roller coaster would be, a fantasy themed area with a wooden coaster and a ride like that could be amazing :D
Morgan

I never got a chance to ride Fifth Dimension but I honestly miss it as I love dark-rides.

I love the way Hex builds up an incredible atmosphere before it ends in an amazing finale, much like the ones from the era...
Adam.W

I really want the same thing! We need something perhaps like haunted mansion - a dark ride with effects and stuff which are actually decent, and maybe some animatronics or something.
bengutt

I loved the Ratatouille ride at Disneyland paris.

The queue was so long and they gave out the glasses so early I forgot to expect it to be in 3d. When the ride started, because of that, I found it amazing. I'd have gone on again but the queue was 3 hours for it...

I loved the star tours as well, really well themed queuing.
Adam.W

In AT's long term development plan which they released a few years ago, they stated that they we might be seeing a large scale dark ride :D
Looking forward till that, my guess is that it'll be made in 2019/20
DarkRideLover

Firstly, thanks to everyone for over looking the obvious innuendo.

A dark ride could be amazing but I wouldn't want to destroy the good parts of Duel for it. Again it doesn't have to be a dark ride or water dark ride - it could simply be a crazy house walk through or something so new we dont know what it is yet.
TsungUK

Yes, any decent dark ride (I assume a dark ride is like the Spiderman Ride at Universal Islands of Adventure). Some form of special effects attraction like Templo del Fuego (Temple of Fire) @ Portaventura. I love roller coasters but it's nice to have something to have a break from them. Inside rides / attractions makes sense for the UK and our dodgy weather.
Zach

I'd really love a decent size and themed dark water ride...something on the scale of Valhalla at BPB. Why? Because when I go to BPB I automatically want to go on it, over all the coasters for me it's Valhalla at BPB, I don't know whether it's the atmosphere of the music and intimidation factor the ride has or just the joy I get from riding it but if we had something like that, obviously not as tall but on the scale and theming then I'd certainly get behind it and really hope for the best in the UK
xylyx

I'm with you on the subject of valhalla, it's an awesome ride and it would make my day to have something similar in scale and execution nearby at AT.