The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

timmy1372 wrote:It is interesting that HSE reckon there investigation is still ongoing, yet the park have already said the ride will reopen next year!
From what I know (which isn't a lot) providing Alton Towers adhere to new safety measures instructed by HSE after consultation and them following it through then the ride can be opened for public use again.

As people have said HSE investigations can take years simply because they are not solely investigating a singular case all the time.

As for the timing of the information, I agree, the media out pour and public reaction is heavy again with half being shocked & disgusted this is allowed to happen while others simple are simply happy its set to re-open.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
xylyx

Andy Mc wrote:From what I know (which isn't a lot) providing Alton Towers adhere to new safety measures instructed by HSE after consultation and them following it through then the ride can be opened for public use again.
After digging around seeing how these things work this is basically it, the prohibition notice is in place due to the two breaches of the safety at work act 1974 (section 2(1) and section 3(1) for those who care) as long as the HSE are content that running the ride won't result in the cars colliding they will sign it off and it can be run. The prohibition notice can't be "lifted" as such (it'll stay on the hse site for 5 years) the park just have to prove that enough has been done to address the cause of the accident; being human error should, I imagine, make this easier to do.
jackcullen

If staff were riding it through the open season then it has to have had the prohibition order removed. Staff or not it doesn't matter they're still people.
ROYJESS

I can't imagine that Alton would have announce that the Smiler would be opening next year if the prohibition order has not been lifted.

As far as I'm aware, the staff first rode the Smiler on Monday morning 19th October before the guess were allowed into the park.

This really confirms what I've posted on the TS/SP site a month ago and on here 5 days ago.
ROYJESS wrote:What I'm aware off is that the Smiler ride was officially handed back to Alton Towers on the 19th October. Alton Towers internal Health and Safety team ordered for the ride to have x amount of hours testing icnluding x amount or hours with staff riding it.

The Friday morning of the fireworks, a staff member received an email saying that the Smiler will now be opening next season.

The above information is based on what I've been told as well as the circumstances which I witness on Tuesday morning of the 20th October.
Now that Alton has announce that it will reopen next season, I can't see no reason why they won't open it on the very first day of the new season.
Aidan Lowe

Video over at ThemeParkCollective YouTube channel covering the Sky News segment on The Smiler re-opening.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Themeparksandy1981

The HSE could still have the 2 trains and the damage could be so bad with them the park could have ordered 2 new trains for the new season. Also HSE will have to work out which member/members of staff were involved in over riding the rides controls so they can put a case together for it to go to court.
Aidan Lowe

The HSE could still have the 2 trains and the damage could be so bad with them the park could have ordered 2 new trains for the new season.
I believe it'll simply run with the three trains it has left. With so much happening regarding job cuts & the rumors of closing several attractions I can't see them funding the addition of two extra trains especially if their thoughts are that the 2016 season will be quiet.
Also HSE will have to work out which member/members of staff were involved in over riding the rides controls.
Pretty sure they know this information already and have done for some time.
iaintraynor

I will be quite dissapointed if they close Ripsaw and Hex. Travelling from Northern Ireland I will only get to visit the park once every year or two. I agree that if you are a frequent park visitor the likes of Hex would be boring but I'd like to see it open when I am lucky enough to be on park.
xylyx

I agree Hex will be missed if those rumours are true, would be a shame to lose it for a season as it's a ride I always look forward to.
timmy1372

I personally think the question, should the ride reopen, is simply the wrong question, there is nothing wrong with the ride, so why would it be shutdown! The question lies in the operation, which unfortunately has a wider context for Alton and Merlin.
xylyx

I suspect that will be what the hse are investigating now: why was the warning ignored, what were the events heading up to it etc....
Whoguru5

xylyx wrote:I agree Hex will be missed if those rumours are true, would be a shame to lose it for a season as it's a ride I always look forward to.
May I ask what would cause them to close hex for a season? It's my favourite non coaster ride in the park :(

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
timmy1372

Whoguru5 wrote:
xylyx wrote:I agree Hex will be missed if those rumours are true, would be a shame to lose it for a season as it's a ride I always look forward to.
May I ask what would cause them to close hex for a season? It's my favourite non coaster ride in the park :(

The black hole was sbno for ages, because of some unexpected improvements required that were too cost prohibitive, ie it was mothballed a few years before they originally planned to close it, to save money before the replacement comes along, ie the Smiler.

So for instance if ripsaw is up for replacement in the next few years they are probably doing the same thing here, I don't think the closures will be for one season, they will be a planned closure, bought forward as a cost saving measure.

Why was nemesis sub terra closed, same reason? Is it going to reopen?
xylyx

Whoguru5 wrote: May I ask what would cause them to close hex for a season? It's my favourite non coaster ride in the park :(
I'm with you there, and we don't know yet, atm it's just a rumour so hopefully it will be proven to be unfounded :)
Capt.Barnacles

I would like to think that having only opened 3/4 years ago, Nemesis Sub-Terra is to remain for the forseeable future, indeed at least the next 5 years. You'd like to think they'll want to get at least 10 years out of an investment.
Dom

Instead of this topic going round and round in circles with questions, i just think we should all just be very happy and satisfied with one piece of news. The ride will reopen in 2016. Its the end of the year (Nearly) so lets leave the past in the past and look to the future :)
Rita Fan

I agree with Dom. The past is past. The future is now. Let's just be happy with the news.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
timmy1372

I think we are all glad it's going to reopen! Good news, I was trying to be positive about the rumours of other ride closures which hopefully points to future investments in those areas, like the mothballed black hole areaeventually becoming Smiler, how old is ripsaw? Or another coaster in the flume area? You never know! Exciting times, I think the towers will bring the people back and improve the park long term, but we might have to wait a few years! I'll be 1St in the queue for the Smiler next year :-)
Kraken

timmy1372 wrote:The black hole was sbno for ages, because of some unexpected improvements required that were too cost prohibitive, ie it was mothballed a few years before they originally planned to close it, to save money before the replacement comes along, ie the Smiler.

So for instance if ripsaw is up for replacement in the next few years they are probably doing the same thing here, I don't think the closures will be for one season, they will be a planned closure, bought forward as a cost saving measure.

Why was nemesis sub terra closed, same reason? Is it going to reopen?
The writing on the wall for the Black Hole was a change in the Health & Safety rules regarding evacuation times from "enclosed structures". They set new time limits on these & if a train stopped at the stop of the spiral lift, it would have been impossible to get the guests out down the spiral walkway in the prescribed time.

The alternative was to spend [a lot of £££] on a central evacuation stairway that would have gone over the track at various points in the spiral and down a central stairway. The cost I heard mentioned was several hundreds of thousands of pounds for this.

Whilst we all have our own views on Merlin cost-cutting (& it looks like these may intensify next season if the 6 ride closure is true) - it's safe to say that investing a lot of money in a ride that is towards the end of it's life is not a wise move.

OK - I know that the Black Hole sale to a park in South America fell through & it was returned to Germany for refurbishment. It has since re-opened at Furuvik in Sweden. In one case, it's a shame Alton could not have had it refurbished, but would a 30 year old coaster have pulled in the punters? No. They had to go with The Smiler to keep ahead of the game.
Themeparksandy1981

The Smiler reopening next season is good for Alton Towers but would guests be still willing to pay roughly £26 each with a 2 for 1 ticket just to queue up all day for Rollercoasters?