The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sambartle

Screech wrote:I don't get that twitter video- that shows it rolling to a stop, but I'm watching the live news and it looks like it's stopped dead into the empty one?!
That video is the full car pushing the empty one (they are stuck together at this point), its shot JUST after the incident.
Dom

We can not believe everything we hear and read with regards to this. We won't know the full extent of the situation with regards to information of what happened for some time. There is no point trying to figure out what definitely happened as this will only spread like wild fire and could be untrue. All we can do is hope that the people involved make a full and speedy recovery.
razgriz33

The ride op cannot be at fault alone, the block systems of roller coasters mean that the second coaster should have just waited at the bottom of the first lift hill as the block in front of it would be registered as occupied.

I'm no expert on the ride but i do see a Mid Course Brake Run just before the bit where i think it stalled. it's probable that the MCBR counts as a block? it shouldn't but perhaps it does. we'll never know if the trim brakes tried to emergency stop the second train but the fact of the matter is, is that the block was occupied.
Last edited by razgriz33 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

I sincerely hope that everybody involved in this accident makes a full recovery and nobody has life threatening injuries. We are all fans of Alton Towers however nobody can say that the park has not failed categorically in keeping guests safe today. Even if a serious mechanical system failure had occurred, CCTV on the ride and manual brake systems, coupled with the fact that the train had not even crested the vertical lift meant that there was plenty of time for an emergency stop/evacuation. I am a big fan of the Smiler and the park, however this ride in my opinion needs a complete overhaul to safely operate again and although I also sympathise with the ride operatives involved, they have seemingly not completed necessary safety procedures. As a result of this a park wide staff efficiency check needs to be launched immediately. Accidents happen however it is clear from initial reports Gerstulauer and the ride itself have failed and human error has also been involved. I realise we have no confirmed details however I feel that this could be a terrible failure of all categories.
sambartle

From BBC news footage and twitter, it really looks like the full train was stopped on the lift hill for several minutes (whilst the empty car was stranded further round the track) before it continued on.. Someone filmed it before the crash with both cars visible in their positions.. The question is why did that second car then continue..
Cobby

I bet most of you already know but if you had family on park today then their is a free helpline that you can ring to check they are alright. The number is 0800 230 770
Tom170499

Hope everyone is okay on park today. Heard what has happened to The Smiler and people need to stop making silly comments saying it should be shut down and that it's all Alton Towers fault. There has been no investigation yet so just stop throwing insults and rumors. The rollercoaster is safe so people need to calm down. People don't stop flying if there has been a plane crash and this is a similar incident. Now is a time to concentrate on those effected
Cobby

Tom170499 wrote:Hope everyone is okay on park today. Heard what has happened to The Smiler and people need to stop making silly comments saying it should be shut down and that it's all Alton Towers fault. There has been no investigation yet so just stop throwing insults and rumors. The rollercoaster is safe so people need to calm down. People don't stop flying if there has been a plane crash and this is a similar incident. Now is a time to concentrate on those effected
Well said! :clap:
evenstar120

As a community our first thoughts have to be for the guests who were injured today and hope they make a swift and complete recovery. Obviously we have to wait for the outcome of the investigation which will be taking place in the next few days. We don't know as yet whether this incident is as a result of mechanical or human error or both but we must just wait and see what the findings of the investigation are. I love the Smiler and feel that it is a safe roller coaster but clearly something has gone wrong here and this must be rectified to ensure that everyone stays safe whilst a guest at the park.
gmonster

Tom170499 wrote:Hope everyone is okay on park today. Heard what has happened to The Smiler and people need to stop making silly comments saying it should be shut down and that it's all Alton Towers fault. There has been no investigation yet so just stop throwing insults and rumors. The rollercoaster is safe so people need to calm down. People don't stop flying if there has been a plane crash and this is a similar incident. Now is a time to concentrate on those effected
Well said Tom.

Yes there is a technical error but the ride ops should of waited till the empty train came back successfully and technical issues resolved before folks were allowed back on.
jmed

Report from a colleague who was on one of the responding fire appliances is that there are some very severe injuries, possibly life changing/life threatening.
OllieJolly

How about instead of deliberating and guessing what happened, we wait until we have solid evidence from a thorough investigation before making comments?

Enough of this goes on during aviation and other transport incidents happen, pilot did this, driver did that, captain did such and such.

The staff are people too you know? How would you feel if you were in their position and you were being blamed by people who know none of the details?

I agree that there should have never been two trains in the same block, however there is obviously a deeper reason as to why this has happened, as we know, modern roller coasters are extremely safe, and designed to prevent exactly this. It's not a case of blaming someone just because it makes you feel better. Have some respect.

I sincerely hope everyone is able to make a full recovery, Alton Towers Resort and indeed Merlin have great people, well able to deal with the aftermath of this, and we can do nothing but cross our fingers for all those involved. Staff included.

Rant done.
audiobookman

My heart goes out to the people and the families of them on the ride.
Being a train driver myself i am also mythed to how this has happened, what has happened is the loaded train has spad causing the collision. BUT being automated system a PLC alarm should have sounded and all systems should go to fail safe (red on railways - estop on rollercoasters).
The smiler has started to get a bit of a reputation now, i'm afraid that without some major systems redesigns the rides days could well be numbered.

I wish the best for the poor people involved and hope they get a speedy recovery, i know i wont ever let my children back on the ride
2pints

Ive just seen this, and had a quick read through.
As it is it appears that this is something that should not have happened, accidents like this should be programmed out of the system.
As it is its far to early to speculate as to what happened/who was to blame etc.
Thoughts go out to those who are still trapped/injured by this accident, their family and friends as well as the the ride staff on the smiler at Alton Towers
Marcus

Stupid mistake of the ride operator, sending a passenger train right after a test train without even checking if it safely made the circuit. Thoughts out to those on the ride.
Dom

Until the full details of the investigation are revealed, can i suggest not playing the blame game. We do not know the facts and we don't want to spread rumours which, possibly, aren't true.

All we can do now is speculate as to what happened and send our thoughts to those who were injured by today's accident and hope that everyone makes a recovery. :)
gmonster

We just need to wait for the investigation but the main and only thing at the moment is the people and i wish them who was on there the very best and hope they get better very soon without any issues
Dan

Absolutely shocking.

It would be inappropriate to point fingers at anyone until a full investigation has taken place.

My thoughts go to everyone involved in today's incident and I hope all those who are injured make a full recovery.
Sentri558

Marcus wrote:Stupid mistake of the ride operator, sending a passenger train right after a test train without even checking if it safely made the circuit. Thoughts out to those on the ride.
While I agree it's possible that the OPs could be to blame, right now we don't know if the fault is mechanical, in the computers or with Gerstlauer. It's not fair to point fingers until a full investigation has taken place.
ponder

Even if it's a mechanical failure, which is likely, there will still be someone held accountable. That's how the law and H&S regulations work. From the information out there at the moment, it's hard to see how this isn't human error in some form, whether it be cause or prevention.

I also understand that people on here are loyal to AT, but to suggest that people shouldn't speculate what the cause may have been on a DISCUSSION forum seems a little cynical to me.